For anyone who doesn't live in Sheffield, why are you a fan?

Guest Yorkshirecath

Somebody's got to be! Actually, in the late 90s and early 2000s, there were often a few in Wednesday colours for TV games, first in the Bankers and later on, in that big sports bar in Temple Bar...

Actually, that 89-90 Wednesday team was ace, even if we did get relegated - it was essentially the 1990-91 glory team, plus Dalian and minus Wilson, Willams and Harkes... still a lot less depressing than the "let's aim for 18th in the Championship" years of the last decade...

Started supporting Wednesday in 94 I think.

I remember that we were facing Man U in a League Cup Semi Final (got hammered) and for some reason or another I decided to support Wednesday.

We live about 15 minutes away from Sheffield and have some family who are pretty big supporters so it all made sense.

Born in Grenoside - my dad was from the south west of England but my mum was from Sheffield. Apparently my Grandad, who was a staunch Wednesdayite, had a fight with my uncle who was a blade as to which scarf would get put into my cot in the hospital. I thank my grandad everyday for winning the fight! Moved to Hull when I was ten but didn't get too much grief as most of the other kids were Rugby League fans, football didn't really get a look in!

My Dad is an ex Wednesday player from the late 50's so never any danger me supporting anyone else.

Had plenty of stick over the years living in Mirfield, West Yorks, with that S**m just up the road. My Dad only gets about 2-3 times a season now but loves listening on th radio each week.

I've managed to keep it in the family with my daughters and now my eldest grandson is an owl, although goes with hid Dad to Rochdale now and again, when his Mum let's him.

Uncle's an arsensal fan,so when wednesday played thaem in both cup finals i cheered for them.here i am 20 odd yrs later still loving every minute of being an owls fan.WAWAW.

While im here might as well ask if any owls fans are making the trip to s6 from cornwall this year as i would be happy to share fuel etc.

Edited by cornishowl82

Guest pitch-is-shifter

Hello all long time watcher, first time poster here. I was born in berkley in gloucestershire and have lived around that area my whole life, I have had no connections with wednesday through friends or family watsoever. Yet in 1993 at the tender age of 6 when just about everyone else was following man utd, liverpool or arsenal I decided I would follow the team in blue and white in the cup final v arsenal. This happened to be the lossing team twice. But from that day on I was hooked to the Massive! I have had season tickets on and off for the last 8 years and travel away from home as much as I can, with a few other converts who have no connections with sheffield! A home game is a 350 mile round trip for me! And my local (away) game is bristol city this season! Only 20 miles! My dad is a wba support which makes it all the more odd! But would I change it? Would I ....

South Wales born and bred, but Wednesday through and through, in 1966 when i was a lad , aahhh, when all the kids in school wanted Everton to win the FA Cup , me and another lad wanted Wednesday, alas a new generation of Owls was born and have always stayed loyal to them, now its me , my son, my brother , and my daughters boyfriend all go. Have seen through the good times, the bad times, and now hopefully good ones again. Have never lived in Sheffield and no association with it either, just pure blue and white stripes, live and breathe it all day everyday. UTO

Born in Sheffield. Spent my early life in Sharrow and most of my first friends were blunts. Fortunately my Uncle made sure I was Wednesday. We moved closer to Hillsborough when I was 11. That was a relief.

Haven't been to Hillsborough for about 5 years. Games now involve PLAYER and 8am kick-offs. Can't wait to take my 19 month old daughter to her first game in a few years time. All she does at the moment is run round the house dribbling a blue and white football. She didn't get those skills from me!

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

My antie moved there in the 60's , my dad use to spend summers there as a kid and fell in love with the Wednesday after going to Hillsborough for a world cup game in 66 , he never forced Wednesday on me and took me to a game when he deemed me old enough , the game was 'the waddel' game' needless to say I was hooked after my first experience at a game.

Born in NorthEast. Moved to Sheffield at age of 4. Left Sheffield at age of 19.

Those 15 years were the formative years of course. Picked up the local accent, went to school in Sheff, first job there etc etc. Will always have soft spot for Sheffield. Luckily it's only one hour from North Lincolnshire on motorway to Meadowhall turn-off, so my support has rarely waivered. During Dave Allans tenure I missed a few home games in protest- but I can't stay away for long. They are in my blood, I'm afraid.

I was born near Newcastle, but Dad is from Sheffield. He used to take my brother and I to matches all over the country. I live and work in the US now and my American born kids are/will be Wednesdayites (they're both a bit young yet to get it).

Part of being a Wednesdayite is spreading the faith far and wide. My Israeli brother-in-law loves his new XXL replica shirt... :)

Guest chapeltom

Born in Sheffield, lived there until 2006 ish when I was nearing 14. Shifted over to Derbyshire almost 6 years ago. Dad and Granddad are Owls, I am one too.

Guest Watsonswfc

Another bizarre story coming from me as to my reasoning why i support wednesday! Also the term 'you dont choose wednesday, wednesday chooses you' that i have seen knocking about on here from time to time is definitely something i agree with!!

None of my family are from Sheffield, half are cornish (where i was born and currently live!) and the other are londoners with the old man being a west ham fan, so not a northerner in sight! Wednesday came down to Cornwall when i was 5 or 6 ( waddle, worthington et al) and played a pre-season friendly against Bodmin Town which is 15mins from where i live. My old man took me to watch, entered the raffle and i won the signed football of which i have cherished ever since and i have been a wednesdayite ever since! One of the more interesting stories and you wouldnt believe the amount of times i have told it!