For anyone who doesn't live in Sheffield, why are you a fan?

Guest Yorkshirecath

Guest IronicOwl

Perfect way to make a first post!

I was born in Thurnscoe and raised in Sheffield. My Grandfather used to take me to Owls games as a kid (my first game was a particularly scintillating 0-0 with Doncaster) so i've been a fan ever since through the highs and lows. I'm probably the only guy in Latvia (where i live now) that can name the Wednesday squad so i guess that's something in itself.

My father is a supporter too but actually played for United reserves back in the 60's. Fortunately he never made it to the first team, so don't hold that against me (not that i ever let him forget).

I don't know if it was before or after you joined OT but I mentioned you on here a few times because of the unusal reason for you being an SWFC fan. I think you were on here a fair while beofre I realised it was you though Phil.

Actually, although I might've been a member for a while, I never posted on here until you mentioned it to me on the CT Forum. I'd previously been mildly active on a different Wednesday forum, but I was finding that I was getting slagged-off pretty much anytime I posted on there and was looking for something a bit more accepting...

I was born and raised in Dublin but half my family came from north Sheffield and nearby (Firth Park, then Thorpe Hesley) - my dad and great-grandad were both Wednesdayites, although my dad is a fair-weather lightweight who says he'll start paying attention once we're back in the Premiership again...

After a dalliance with Man Utd as a kid, I started following Wednesday during our relegation season (89-90), after I got enamoured with my Yorkshire roots...and finally ended up moving to Yorkshire two years ago (West Yorks, rather than South Yorks, though). Ironically, with a baby and a toddler, I get to less Wednesday games than when I lived in London...

Edited by Dooogs

Guest SouthLeedsOwl

Mines bizzare, born in Leicester (cos of me dad's work) but raised in Leeds (via Huddersfield). Starting supporting West Ham from 1980, as I liked the name and my local side at that time, Huddersfield, were s*8t. Could never get to see West Ham apart from when me dad took me to the games involving local Yorkshire sides as London was too far to travel for a young un, so after passing my driving test in 1990, I decided to follow another side who was more local, and as my mum was from Penistone, I went for the mighty Wednesday. My first game was against Hull at home and we won 5-1 with Hirst getting 4 and I think Paul Williams getting the other. Since then I have been home and away for 22 years now, seen the ups and the downs and got my lad supporting Wednesday. Couldnt imagine supporting anyone else and I'm WTID.

Perfect way to make a first post!

I was born in Thurnscoe and raised in Sheffield. My Grandfather used to take me to Owls games as a kid (my first game was a particularly scintillating 0-0 with Doncaster) so i've been a fan ever since through the highs and lows. I'm probably the only guy in Latvia (where i live now) that can name the Wednesday squad so i guess that's something in itself.

My father is a supporter too but actually played for United reserves back in the 60's. Fortunately he never made it to the first team, so don't hold that against me (not that i ever let him forget).

No need for me to tell you where I'm from :rolleyes: .

All my Dad's family are owls and half of my mum's family are owls (other half blunts god bless them) so I suppose its a family thing. Although, the Dearne Valley had always been an Owls hunting ground until Barnsley had that cup run then there was loads of "owls" turning to TARN!!! Poor buggers.

Guest mpinkie182

Because I found a shiny Owls sticker in a cornflakes box when you could fill a sticker book.

From Lincs and make it to 15 - 20 games per season, 23 years old - UP THE OWLS!!

i live outside not far tho inbetween rotherham na barnsley 30mins away. Im a fan through my dad an his 3 brothers all wednesdayites through 70s allway to present i followed suite never looked back was always told we was massive had the football kits from very young an all my bedroom was nicely decorated by my mum with sheffield wednesday items such as bedding blue and white walls an nicely drawn owls on the walls wednesday forever!! My kids will certainatley be an owl lol

My Dad is from London lived near Q.P.R. When he was about 7 he found a card with a pic

of Derek Wilkinson with the stripes going the wrong way. He thought this was the best kit he ever

saw. he took me to Hillsborough for the first time in 82 I was 10. never looked back.

Wednesday till I die!!!!

When I was younger, around 5, 6 years old, I was desperate to find a team to support. I was born, and still live, just outside London, and mostly people supported Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, etc. Evidently, none of them really took my fancy. Everyone at lunch times would go round saying I am Beckham, I am Ian wright etc.. I needed a team!

I went into a toys store, bought a teddy giraffe, and it wore a blue and white little shirt on it. I asked my brother which team wears blue and white, and he told me Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton. From then on, I told myself I would support Wednesday (BRIGHTON??!?! lol).

Thinking about it, with Meggo's quote in mind, I'd like to think Wednesday chose me, and I am so, so glad they did.

Edited by Innes

Born and bred in Cheshire. Played and watched the game all my life and supported Liverpool as a kid. I used to get taken home and away back in the 70's and early 80's.

Then my son arrived! Up until age of about 6 he had no interest in sport never mind football, then, came home one day talking about Sheffield Wednesday. Where it came from we have no idea.

So we took him to a game at Hillsboro and that was that. At the age of 12 he was a mascot for the club and we got to meet Paulo Di Canio. At the age of 23 we got season tickets. We love it. Everybody i know who is a football fan wants to know how the Owls got on. Even my window cleaner stops for a chat (Everton Fan) saying how he loved going to Hillsboro. The rest is history. Every home game and alot of away games. Wednesday are massive!

I now hate Liverpool as well. Bring on the Premiership. UTO

Norwegian, but don't hold it against me... :P

Oh, and my appologies for Petter Rudi... Hopefully we will make up for that some day soon(would love to see a Norwegian on Hillsboro') :D

God bless us all as this season will be epic!

So what are you trying to say??!!

My mate Charlie lived in Dore. For his 11th birthday his dad got him, his cousin Nick and me 3 tickets for the Owls vs Chelsea, April 1968, and told us 3 11-year-olds to find our own way there and back. Charlie cocked up the bus times, and we walked the whole way from Dore, passing the 3-sided Bramall Lane on the way. Wednesday drew 2-2, and we were so mesmerised that Charlie cocked up the bus times on the way back too, so we walked the whole way back as well.

Hooked from then on.

Had a girlfriend in Grindleford for a while in the 1970s-80s, and went to university in Sheffield because she was at PE College at what was Lady Mabel, Wentworth Woodhouse. That and the Owls seemed like 2 very good reasons to go to Sheffield University....

Hung around Sheffield and the Peak District for many years, then went back home to North Yorkshire; never left Hillsborough, though, not deep down...

I was born and raised in Dublin but half my family came from north Sheffield and nearby (Firth Park, then Thorpe Hesley) - my dad and great-grandad were both Wednesdayites, although my dad is a fair-weather lightweight who says he'll start paying attention once we're back in the Premiership again...

After a dalliance with Man Utd as a kid, I started following Wednesday during our relegation season (89-90), after I got enamoured with my Yorkshire roots...and finally ended up moving to Yorkshire two years ago (West Yorks, rather than South Yorks, though). Ironically, with a baby and a toddler, I get to less Wednesday games than when I lived in London...

Typical Irish Glory Supporter. :tango: