For anyone who doesn't live in Sheffield, why are you a fan?

Guest Yorkshirecath

I follow North Melbourne in the AFL, Started watching football in the early nineties, Good team good colours, I guess thats how it worked.

Im the reverse of this... followed wednesday since i was 6, dad was originally a dirty Leeds fan but got converted by my uncle once he was old enough to make his own mind up... and realise that Leeds are Leeds... and Wednesday are MASSIVE.

Went to Aus for a gap year and had to follow North Melbourne... the blue and white wizards of oz!!

Similar to wednesday in that ever since i've started following them they have gone downhill although both teams looking promising this year!

I live in Sydney.

Born in Wakefield. It was strong Leeds support in my area. My Dad was Leeds. He took me to see some great Leeds games in the 70's. They had a great team then. BUT....

....the first time I ever went to Hillsborough I knew I would be WTID.

My Uncle lived in Kingsley and was a mate of a bloke called Terry Curran.

He got us some tickets for a game against Sheff Utd on Boxing Day 1979.

Sounds like a fairy tale doesn't it?

I was 11. I'd never been in an atmosphere like that ever before. Some days have come close but nothing will ever match it.

I will never forget that day until I die. It is why my passion for the club is so MASSIVE and why my wife thinks I am totally mad.

I'm from Sheffield, but neither of my parents are. My Dad supports Exeter City (don't ask why) and the first game he ever took me to was at the Lane (sorry) - Sheffield United 2 - 2 Exeter City in 1983. Gerry Francis was playing for Exeter, we were supporting the away team, and it was crap. My Dad however was a criminal solicitor and was taken aback by how many of the sparse crowd he knew on a professional basis, so he decided I wasn't allowed to go there any more and only took me to Wednesday from then on.

I didn't choose Wednesday, Wednesday chose me.

My dad was an Owl, and like I said in another post, he took me to my first game, way back in the 1950's. Luton Town on a cold, wet, miserable midwwek night, I have been an Owl ever since.

Through the good times, coming runners up in the old league 1, the almost good times of 1966, the very bad times when I was there against Forest and I was the only person sat on that row of seats (I must have really stunk), almost being releated to league 4. Just the odd success along the way, Rumbellows Cup etc.

I now feel the good times are back, I hope this time it's for good, but what ever happens, I will still be supporting Wednesday through thick and thin, coz, I'm WTID

I'm from Sheffield, but neither of my parents are. My Dad supports Exeter City (don't ask why) and the first game he ever took me to was at the Lane (sorry) - Sheffield United 2 - 2 Exeter City in 1983. Gerry Francis was playing for Exeter, we were supporting the away team, and it was crap. My Dad however was a criminal solicitor and was taken aback by how many of the sparse crowd he knew on a professional basis, so he decided I wasn't allowed to go there any more and only took me to Wednesday from then on.

lol:tango:

Judging by the responses on here, I probably have the most bizarre reason to support Wednesday: simply put, I like owls.

When I was about four or five I decided, for no reason that I can remember, that I liked owls and a fascination began. When I was about six my dad told me I should support Wednesday because of their nickname, and when I told my best friend at school he gave me the Lawrie Madden sticker from Panini Football '87 to get my collection started. It was highly unusual because I grew up in East Surrey and most kids I knew supported London clubs, or Liverpool because they seemed to be the best team at that time. My dad's side of the family were all Arsenal fans and my mum's side were all Palace fans (the nearest club to me, geographically). I didn't really get into football until I was about nine, but then I decided to stick with Wednesday instead of Arsenal or Palace. Some people think this is funny because of what I've had to endure as a Wednesday fan over the past decade, but having been to quite a few Arsenal and Palace games too I'm still convinced I chose the right team for me.

I still have the fascination with owls, which has lead me to become an enthusiastic wildlife photographer and amateur birdwatcher in my spare time. Most people assume that I like owls because I'm a Wednesday fan, not the other way around. I'm fully prepared to accept the fact that I'm weird.

Born in Donny, went up to Grammer school and a few of the lads there were Wednesday, lots of Wednesday fans in Balby. First game 1980 v Blackpool. Never looked back.

Cath, we do have a wide ranging support from outside Sheffield but when we were last in the Premiership (IIRC) Sky did a survey and along with Newcastle most of our support was within a 10 mile radius of the ground. The usual suspects like Man United and surprisingly Leeds had lots of support away from well away from their cities.

Makes you think that if we had sustained success we would have no problem filling Hillsborough up with outsiders.

BTW, myself, I was born and raised in North Sheffield but now live in Ireland.

Judging by the responses on here, I probably have the most bizarre reason to support Wednesday: simply put, I like owls.

When I was about four or five I decided, for no reason that I can remember, that I liked owls and a fascination began. When I was about six my dad told me I should support Wednesday because of their nickname, and when I told my best friend at school he gave me the Lawrie Madden sticker from Panini Football '87 to get my collection started. It was highly unusual because I grew up in East Surrey and most kids I knew supported London clubs, or Liverpool because they seemed to be the best team at that time. My dad's side of the family were all Arsenal fans and my mum's side were all Palace fans (the nearest club to me, geographically). I didn't really get into football until I was about nine, but then I decided to stick with Wednesday instead of Arsenal or Palace. Some people think this is funny because of what I've had to endure as a Wednesday fan over the past decade, but having been to quite a few Arsenal and Palace games too I'm still convinced I chose the right team for me.

I still have the fascination with owls, which has lead me to become an enthusiastic wildlife photographer and amateur birdwatcher in my spare time. Most people assume that I like owls because I'm a Wednesday fan, not the other way around. I'm fully prepared to accept the fact that I'm weird.

I don't know if it was before or after you joined OT but I mentioned you on here a few times because of the unusal reason for you being an SWFC fan. I think you were on here a fair while beofre I realised it was you though Phil.

born in accrington, supported blackburn as a kid, moved to Clowne in 72

I`m a fairly well educated guy so it was a no brainer.....lets face it even though we were struggling

at the wrong end of the old second division and the pigs were in div one, there was only one team whose fans

were immense and a massive club with a proud history....never ever looked back

btw, i dont give a *** about blackburn any more although I watch with interest accy stanley`s rise

from the ashes

Born and live in Scunny, first football matches I saw on TV and was old enough to properly understand what was going on were the cup finals in 93. Decided I much preferred Wednesday in pretty much every way to Arsenal, plus fairly local and went from there.

Wednesday getting beat only made me want them to win the next game more, got bought a shirt that xmas and I was sold. 90% of the kids at school were Man U or Liverpool, which again only made me support Wednesday more.

My Dad never really properly supported a team, he does now. We got our first season ticket in 97 and have been going ever since.

Not born there, no relatives (that I know of) from there or even near there but, I have always followed "football" since I was very young. Bear in mind I'm an Australian so this was a bit weird in itself. Was never as interested in any of the other codes. Can't really explain this as nobody else in my family does this either. Oh, and I was an absolutely crap player too. I never really had a favorite team that I followed closely I just loved all the England comps and found it fascinating. When Wednesday dd the bounce in late 80's they were truly one of the most exciting teams to watch and the passing was sublime. I think this is what did it. Got me interested and I looked into some of the history (much easier to do now from a long distance) and this is really an amazing and truly historic club. I've been a fan ever since.

I (am proud to say) have only been to Hillsborough once (twice if you count the trip to the megastore the day before the match when the groundsman let me have my picture taken on the edge of the pitch with the South Stand gable in the background). It is to date my only time in the UK and I forced my partner to watch one of the worst matches I have ever seen. I could not wipe the smile off my face for weeks. I've got a head like a split watermelon just thinking about it now. One day I'll be back.

On another interesting note I keep finding all these strange affinities to things "Sheffield". Things like Pulp and Cabaret Voltaire, The Crucible and some of the Brutalist Architecture.

And to the posters earlier who have North Melbourne links, I was mistaken for a Kangaroo in my SWFC shirt once in Canada but, given my accent can't be too surprised. Mind you they should have opened their frickin' eyes.

Born and raised in Burnley area. My Mum used to support Burnley until she had a disagreement with the bombastic Burnley chairman Bob Lord. She watched Wednesday and took a liking to the red-haired Redfern Froggatt and Derek Dooley. She watched the Owls all of over Lancashire and Yorshire. Before she married she was a nursery nurse and she even asked Dooley for one of his size 13 football boots to make an 'Old Woman who lived in a shoe' display for the kids (this was before he lost his leg, I might add...she wasn't entirely insensitive) which he duly sent. When she married my Dad (a Villa fan) who was a pen pal of hers from Cornwall there was no question of who I was going to support.

One of my first matches at Turf Moor as to watch Burnley v Spurs in the season they won the double. Mum and Dad got talking to Danny Blanchflower, the genial Spurs captain. He picked me up and asked me who was going to win the league (expecting me to say Burnley) to which I told him "Sheffield Wednesday!" Spurs won the league and Wednesday were second; Burnley were there or thereabouts. I put up with a lot of stick throughout the seventies from local fans but I always stuck to my team. WTID

Lived in Sheffield for 15 years after going to uni there but now live in Cornwall.

Edited by kernowl