Paul Corry

Guest phshaw

I know next to nothing about Paul Corry so I asked a mate of mine from Dublin who is a bit of a football buff to give me the lowdown. This is what he said:

Yep I’ve heard of him one of the brightest lights from the League of Ireland turned down Burnley a while back to play for UCD and concentrate on his studies.

Has a degree in commerce so a footballer with brains there’s not many of them! J

Again similar to Keith Treacy he came through Dublin’s Belvedere youth team – goal scoring midfielder with a good left foot.

The Irish Independent did an article entitled “The Top Ten Commodities in the League of Ireland” in 2010 and Mr. Corry made the top ten see attached:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/top-ten-commodities-in-league-of-ireland-2073440.html

This list at the time included the likes of Pat Fenlon who is now managing Hibs, Michael O’Neill now managing Northern Ireland and Paul Keegan and Paddy Madden who have also gone across the Irish Sea to ply their trade in England so no mean achievement.

Also he is one of the few players from the LOI who made the Irish U21 team playing for UCD unheard of as he would be up against underage players at the top four in England as well as other English clubs.

He’s represented Ireland at all levels bar senior but Trap is looking for young players so if he makes an impression you never know! J.

Here’s an interview with him from a while back:

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2901/

Great win v Fulham watched the highlights on Sky Sports News.

You can’t beat winning in football breathes confidence – roll on the weekend!

Talk soon

Guest phshaw

I find it very impressive and single minded that this lad turned down Burnley when they were in the premiership as he wanted to complete his degree at UCD. Brian Clough always insisted that if you had the choice of 2 players of similar ability, always buy the most intelligent one as, and I quote, "they will last longer".

I know next to nothing about Paul Corry so I asked a mate of mine from Dublin who is a bit of a football buff to give me the lowdown. This is what he said:

Yep I’ve heard of him one of the brightest lights from the League of Ireland turned down Burnley a while back to play for UCD and concentrate on his studies.

Has a degree in commerce so a footballer with brains there’s not many of them! J

Again similar to Keith Treacy he came through Dublin’s Belvedere youth team – goal scoring midfielder with a good left foot.

The Irish Independent did an article entitled “The Top Ten Commodities in the League of Ireland” in 2010 and Mr. Corry made the top ten see attached:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/top-ten-commodities-in-league-of-ireland-2073440.html

This list at the time included the likes of Pat Fenlon who is now managing Hibs, Michael O’Neill now managing Northern Ireland and Paul Keegan and Paddy Madden who have also gone across the Irish Sea to ply their trade in England so no mean achievement.

Also he is one of the few players from the LOI who made the Irish U21 team playing for UCD unheard of as he would be up against underage players at the top four in England as well as other English clubs.

He’s represented Ireland at all levels bar senior but Trap is looking for young players so if he makes an impression you never know! J.

Here’s an interview with him from a while back:

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2901/

Great win v Fulham watched the highlights on Sky Sports News.

You can’t beat winning in football breathes confidence – roll on the weekend!

Talk soon

Anyone else read that in an Irish accent?

I've also read somewhere that he's been short listed for PFAI young player of the year.

This could get interesting. McCabe very highly rated. Price going up each match, Corry highly rated. Same vein as McCabe. Rodri same again.

Add to that Antonio whose already valued at £1 m +.

Madine based on the Bowery situation anything between 750-£1m

When was the last time we actually had assets that people want.

Edited by peggyowl

A couple more good articles about the new boy. Apologies if already posted:

http://offtheupright...ove-abroad.html

http://inbedwithmara...-big-thing.html

Sounds like he's got his head screwed on.

Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

"Wednesday have acquired a jack-of-all-trades. He can tackle, distribute safe passes - sometimes key - make lung-bursting runs through midfield and, perhaps most importantly, has a keen eye for goal. He's become renowned at UCD for his ability to shoot from long-range, with that trusty left foot of his a particular crowd-pleaser."

Just watched the interview with him on WP and he is obviously a very intelligent and articulate young man.

Recently graduated with a business degree from UCD (which is a decent establishment) and now thinks it's time to have a proper crack at football full-time.

Speaks much more like a businessman than a footballer that's for sure.

Guest foreverSWFC

Definitely have the highest IQ in our squad. Not a huge amount of competition for that position.

O'Grady sounds like he's got street smarts with his little housing empire. Anyone else strike you as having some brains?

Kirkland strikes me as quite articulate, comes across well in interviews.

I'm struggling from there on, Mattock seems well spoken but his past suggests he's not the brightest of footballers.

Definitely have the highest IQ in our squad. Not a huge amount of competition for that position.

O'Grady sounds like he's got street smarts with his little housing empire. Anyone else strike you as having some brains?

He's out on loan now, but David Prutton is definitely miles above average. You only need to spend 2 minutes with him to realise that he isn't like most other footballers.

And we're not sure what Semedo's IQ is- we put the paper down on a table for him to attempt, and he just demolished the table.