Your Antonio valuation

I've always thought that the value of Antonio to Reading isn't really that important - its the value of him to us, the buying club, that matters.

The fact he will be in the last year of his contract or whether he is proven at Championship level is irrelevant - we know exactly how good he is, how much we need a quick winger and how much 'value' he would be to us if he helped us make it back to the riches of the Premiership.

So, for me, he is worth 1 mil. Same as what Marshall went for.

This ^^^^^ All day long. Reading are an EPL club. They don't need the money. They don't have to sell. So we either put up or shut up. The Ben Marshall transfer fee to Leicester is the market value imo. If he went for £1million, then Antonio must be in that bracket

This ^^^^^ All day long. Reading are an EPL club. They don't need the money. They don't have to sell. So we either put up or shut up. The Ben Marshall transfer fee to Leicester is the market value imo. If he went for £1million, then Antonio must be in that bracket

I think long term Marshall is more suited to Premiership football than Antionio may be in his style of play and overall game... hence why he is valued more

not sure to be honest

but not someone who isn't provern at the second level of English football and is so inexperienced.

You do realize a million is a lot of money for us?

would you pay a million for him?

It all depends on his contract, a mil and a two year one would be pretty stupid even with the under 24 rule but a mil even with add ons and a 5 year contract would be fine by me, Madine cost a million all in all and Antonio is at least 50% more important.....sorry Gaz

And we were totally fooked when we signed Madine

not sure to be honest

but not someone who isn't provern at the second level of English football and is so inexperienced.

You do realize a million is a lot of money for us?

would you pay a million for him?

It all depends on his contract, a mil and a two year one would be pretty stupid even with the under 24 rule but a mil even with add ons and a 5 year contract would be fine by me, Madine cost a million all in all and Antonio is at least 50% more important.....sorry Gaz

And we were totally fooked when we signed Madine

Edited by 1867Heaven

We should have pushed the boat out for marshall and got him signed up before leicster came sniffing...

That saga went the way it did simply because of Stoke delaying making him an offer and then his agent getting involved. His agent was no doubt stoking up interest from other clubs and once a higher league club came in we were always struggling. Wouldn't be surprised if Antonio's agent isn't making mischief on this one as well, it's what agent's do.

Guest Big Guns

Seems a shame all these good players like

Marshall

Batth

Antonio

Seem to be in our grasps but yet we let them slip away

Surely if were a club on the up and Milan expects us to push for promotion this is the standard required..

Guest kiltonowl

but Madines not got less than a year on his contract

Antonio will not go for free next year because he's under 24 so it is bye the bye, Reading will get a fee. And no doubt if he stays he'll probably sign a new contract even if he intends to move to ensure he has guaranteed income for a few years.

Guest kiltonowl

You'd take £350k for Semedo? And replace him with what? If he plays aswell as he did last season in a higher league he will be highly sought after, either by top championship teams or lower premier league teams, possibly for £2m plus. Why on earth would you sell him for £350k now? Same for Madine and Antonio!

As the Ben Marshall scenario proved there are always other players available. Any more than £500k for a player that has little experience at this level, who is not going to feature in their squad, and who is out of contract in 1 years time is absolutely ludicrous. Antonio did well for us but we should not be held to ransom. Thankfully it seems Milan is very frugal with his money and drives a hard bargain. I don't think he'll pay funny money.

If we're looking to spend anything close to that sort of money I'd rather see us spend it on someone like David Templeton. Young English players nine times out of ten are WAY over-valued. A million for Antonio would be absolute madness.

I think one of the issues with negotiating with Reading is, there's a lot of people you've got to get to agree. I wonder who's calling the shots down there: the director of football, the manager, the new owner, the old owner - who's still a massive influence.

Also, Swiss Ramble (football financial blog) did a piece recently on how stringently Reading are run. Every pound counts down there. And they're renowned as fierce negotiators, who get everything that they can.

Guest King Mong

I think anything more than 800k based on his contract situation is an awful lot of money for someone. No tribunal has ever forced a seven figure fee for a player.

For the record, I do think he will be playing Championship football next season, but not for us. Milan will not pay over the odds, and will play the waiting game. But, other chairman will spend the cash if needed, Antonio is a player who is easy to sign if you meet the valuation, and someone will meet that valuation.

I think one of the issues with negotiating with Reading is, there's a lot of people you've got to get to agree. I wonder who's calling the shots down there: the director of football, the manager, the new owner, the old owner - who's still a massive influence.

Also, Swiss Ramble (football financial blog) did a piece recently on how stringently Reading are run. Every pound counts down there. And they're renowned as fierce negotiators, who get everything that they can.

Think they have changed hands recently (?) - I don't think Madjeski owns them anymore.

Some Russian bloke has bought in and he is supposed to be wealthy.

Think they have changed hands recently (?) - I don't think Madjeski owns them anymore.

Some Russian bloke has bought in and he is supposed to be wealthy.

Yep. That's sort of point I was making. There's the new owner and the old owner both playing a role down there. Madjeski, I think, remained chairman down there, and upon leaving that position, will become life president.

I doubt this is the real issue. That blog I referred to made a strong case for Reading being best financially run club in the country, so I think that's why they may be sticklers. But just wondering who does call the shots - new owner with little football experience, old owner with loads, director of footballer who seems to be responsible for transfers, manager who's a strong personality and will want influence over these things, and maybe there's even a CEO or FO involved somewhere.

I've seen you've said Reading could risk losing him for nothing. But with him being 23 when his contract runs out, all they need to do is offer him same terms and they'll get compo. It might not even be a genuine offer, in sense they know he's going to turn it down and move on, but would still count (as far as I know). So think they're playing a clever game: can always fall back on tribunal safety net in a year and until then, try and extract best deal. Closer deadline date gets, more desperate teams will get and they'll dig a little deeper. Short supply of players of his ilk, will only push price up + potential of bidding war.

Fair play to Reading, proving why they are one of best run clubs. And fair play to us for not wanting to yield.