Liquidation

Guest Big Guns

I think that's one of the saddest things I've ever read

:laugh:

One of the happiest things I ever read was the other day when you said you wasn't going to post in threads that me Fedor and the realist were involved in ......

One of the happiest things I ever read was the other day when you said you wasn't going to post in threads that me Fedor and the realist were involved in ......

I changed my mind.

And I'm sorry if I've spoiled your happy mood

Guest Big Guns

I changed my mind.

And I'm sorry if I've spoiled your happy mood

I knew you would ,you can't keep away from me ...........

I disagree with Geedee because I never want to be on the verge of bankruptcy ever again for our great Club. But after supporting Wednesday for so long he deserves respect and his views at least given consideration. Although I disagree vehemently I can appreciate how his beliefs have evolved. I've been attending matches at S6 since 1960 and we've witnessed our club make a multitude of bad decisions and fail to prioritise correctly. From placing ground development over player recruitment/development in the 60s, to failing to invest further at crucial times, to reckless and wasteful spending post Charterhouse, you name it, we did it wrong. Like Geedee after the heartache of '66 and '93 I would love to gain some redemption before the final curtain and win the F.A. Cup. Older fans probably feel impatient and sense the clock is ticking if they are to experience that sensation they had when Nigel Pearson lifted the League Cup ever again. But all the failings of the past was then, this is now and to me, MM is doing it the right way and to simultaneously build up the infra- structure at the club is spot on. Just because we've been preached patience in the

past when except for the early 60s and early 90s, the chance to succeed was an illusion, at best minimal and usually a downright lie, doesn't mean we should abandon a patient and prudent approach now. The financial climate is changing at a time when I personally have never felt more optimistic about the future of our club. In the early 90s we may have had Waddle, Hirst, Nilsson, Sheridan et al but we didn't have a developed infrastructure with people experienced in sports management running the Club.

A final question for Geedee. Where do you stand in relation to the trophies Glasgow Rangers have won in recent years? They were obviously won by employing players they had no money to pay for in real terms. I am not trying to be clever dickish here, it is a genuine question posed by someone who is very upset at what has happened to Portsmouth F.C.

UTO, WTID

Sorry I missed this question. if I was a rangers fan I would not give a t@ss about whether we could afford players or not I would want to to games , enjoy the day and celebrate the trophies (would you really do any different ). I don't watch football for balance sheets p/L accounts etc I watch football to enjoy it.

Obviously it's bad times for rangers now but they will be back.

I accept my opinion is in the minority here but for me I sick to death of mediocrity , I simply want Sheffield Wednesday fans to enjoy some more great days. ( we have had precious few in my time ) , we are not IMO going to have those great days by a policy of consolidation, patience and prudence in short if you act like a mid table championship club you are very probably going to be a mid table championship club

Sorry I missed this question. if I was a rangers fan I would not give a t@ss about whether we could afford players or not I would want to to games , enjoy the day and celebrate the trophies (would you really do any different ). I don't watch football for balance sheets p/L accounts etc I watch football to enjoy it.

Obviously it's bad times for rangers now but they will be back.

I accept my opinion is in the minority here but for me I sick to death of mediocrity , I simply want Sheffield Wednesday fans to enjoy some more great days. ( we have had precious few in my time ) , we are not IMO going to have those great days by a policy of consolidation, patience and prudence in short if you act like a mid table championship club you are very probably going to be a mid table championship club

Geedee, given the mess the game is in right now don't you think that if ever there was a time for being prudent now is it? Lot's of clubs in the Championship are in the poo poo and the situation is getting worse. By running the club prudently we are actually in a position to compete without selling our future down the river or does that go over your head? Just asking like! :rolleyes:

Guest phshaw

Geedee, I understand why people hate the word 'consolidation' because it conjures images of mediocrity and that is tantamount to boring and treading water. But whether we like it or not we have to balance the books as a business to survive. I'm as desperate as the next fan for Wednesday to be successful but I couldn't support a quick fix or short term gain if it was to lead to long term pain, whereby the club's future was once again placed in a perilous position. We are not a Wigan, we are a massive club and

if we do things right and eventually get into the premiership without the millstone of crippling debts, there is always the possibility of attracting that rich billionaire who could deliver us to the

promised land of trophies that we all so desire.

Although your posts have attracted a lot of criticism, to me the content epitomises the desperation that our fans have for success, sometimes literally at any cost.

I disagree with what you are saying Geedee but do hope that the Club's new professional management structure can deliver the success that you, and ultimately all of us, crave.

UTO

City fans realized how lucky they were with their new owners and will never forget last season.

But to use that example as a reason to abandon caution is crazy.

We got rogered by the first Premiership bubble and it led to the brink of liquidation.

Learn from your mistakes

Yes.

I want to return to the promised land securely and consolidate rather than go up on rocky ground.

I don't want to finish 6th a few times and a few years later be laughed at as we are in a financial mire

spot on that's why I'm glad we didn't go overboard for Le Fondre and Marshall

Guest Booey

Have faith that the balance will be redressed.

Pre- Hillsborough/Sky Deal, Football clubs relied on their fan-base for income.

These foreign billionnaires (including Milan) will eventually get bored of their little play things,(no-one makes a profit) flip off back to thier profitable businesses and buy a ocean liner and dock it in monte carlo.

Football clubs are the rich mans equivelent of an aggressive dog. They are a status symbol in a fickle, materialistic world and will be dropped as soon as it becomes unfashionable.

When these fair play rules really kick in they will realise they can't just buy success and they will leave it to the local businessmen to pick up the bill for years of overspending. Player wages will drop. EPL viewing figures will drop due to lack of international interest (best players will go to spain, italy etc). TV money drops and levels out, and the only advantage a club will have over another will be the extra revenues generated by the fans.

We are approx the 10th biggest club in England in terms of fanbase, therefore mid table premier league will be the average.

Until then let the Citehs and Chelski's have their day in the Sun. They bought their success. The death of Pompey will be a lasting reminder of the time we sold our national sport down the river for a quick buck. We will all be on the same level soon.

We will still be MASSIVE. Blackpool, Wigan, QPR, Fulham, Swansea, Reading etc will all go back to being lower league clubs. where their fanbase suggests they belong. Equalibrium will be restored.

Here's Hoping

Have faith that the balance will be redressed.

Pre- Hillsborough/Sky Deal, Football clubs relied on their fan-base for income.

These foreign billionnaires (including Milan) will eventually get bored of their little play things,(no-one makes a profit) flip off back to thier profitable businesses and buy a ocean liner and dock it in monte carlo.

Football clubs are the rich mans equivelent of an aggressive dog. They are a status symbol in a fickle, materialistic world and will be dropped as soon as it becomes unfashionable.

When these fair play rules really kick in they will realise they can't just buy success and they will leave it to the local businessmen to pick up the bill for years of overspending. Player wages will drop. EPL viewing figures will drop due to lack of international interest (best players will go to spain, italy etc). TV money drops and levels out, and the only advantage a club will have over another will be the extra revenues generated by the fans.

We are approx the 10th biggest club in England in terms of fanbase, therefore mid table premier league will be the average.

Until then let the Citehs and Chelski's have their day in the Sun. They bought their success. The death of Pompey will be a lasting reminder of the time we sold our national sport down the river for a quick buck. We will all be on the same level soon.

We will still be MASSIVE. Blackpool, Wigan, QPR, Fulham, Swansea, Reading etc will all go back to being lower league clubs. where their fanbase suggests they belong. Equalibrium will be restored.

Here's Hoping

How I wish all that would come to pass. Sadly I don't think it will. The Sky deal just goes up and up. There is a never ending supply of rich men who don't know what to spend their money on. And a never ending supply ( a billion in China for starters) of celebrity adoring young people who want to watch the latest "in" club, Arsenal, a few years ago, then Chelsea, now Man C) Football seems to be the only recession proof business in the world. I despair.