Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Liquidation

So when Pompey go bust and don't have a club anymore do you think they will give a f'k that they won the FA cup?

messed up.

Portsmouth will always exist in some kind of form

Please don't throw insults like calling someone messed up it's a very immature thing to do

So when Pompey go bust and don't have a club anymore do you think they will give a f'k that they won the FA cup?

messed up.

Please don't throw insults like calling someone messed up it's a very immature thing to do

messed up.

messed up.

messed up.

'Portsmouth will always exist in some kind of form' - but you are moaning about being in the Championship.

'Please don't throw insults like calling someone messed up' - you sir should go and have a chat with a doctor.

I am trying to be polite, you are saying you would take a FA Cup win even though we would be days from non existance 3/4 years later.

Are you for real?

• Agree 2

It was all reigned in when Andy Hinchcliffe (Broken toe nail) and Wim Jonk (Sprained Eyelash) were both ruled out for 3 years of their 4 year contracts. The holes, financial and on the pitch had to be filled. Crap on the pitch and other financial gaps being bridged by forcing out our Itallian players.

Other than that, it might have worked :cool:

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

I disagree with Geedee because I never want to be on the verge of bankruptcy ever again for our great Club. But after supporting Wednesday for so long he deserves respect and his views at least given consideration. Although I disagree vehemently I can appreciate how his beliefs have evolved. I've been attending matches at S6 since 1960 and we've witnessed our club make a multitude of bad decisions and fail to prioritise correctly. From placing ground development over player recruitment/development in the 60s, to failing to invest further at crucial times, to reckless and wasteful spending post Charterhouse, you name it, we did it wrong. Like Geedee after the heartache of '66 and '93 I would love to gain some redemption before the final curtain and win the F.A. Cup. Older fans probably feel impatient and sense the clock is ticking if they are to experience that sensation they had when Nigel Pearson lifted the League Cup ever again. But all the failings of the past was then, this is now and to me, MM is doing it the right way and to simultaneously build up the infra- structure at the club is spot on. Just because we've been preached patience in the

past when except for the early 60s and early 90s, the chance to succeed was an illusion, at best minimal and usually a downright lie, doesn't mean we should abandon a patient and prudent approach now. The financial climate is changing at a time when I personally have never felt more optimistic about the future of our club. In the early 90s we may have had Waddle, Hirst, Nilsson, Sheridan et al but we didn't have a developed infrastructure with people experienced in sports management running the Club.

A final question for Geedee. Where do you stand in relation to the trophies Glasgow Rangers have won in recent years? They were obviously won by employing players they had no money to pay for in real terms. I am not trying to be clever dickish here, it is a genuine question posed by someone who is very upset at what has happened to Portsmouth F.C.

UTO, WTID

• Agree 2

I expect us to be in the champions league in seven years...

You're losing your touch

Sorry do not Agree top half of the premiership or nothing at all. Spend

flipping mental, lets get in to big debts again just so we can play in the top half of the premiership, and for that you would need a lot more money then Milans got or willing to invest, you have to get into the likes of Abramovic etc to have a realistic chance of winning anything now.

If you think we can suddenly become a Man Utd by spending and risking again then you're deluded.

The prudent approach can say dividends. It may not get us into the top 4 or the Champions league but it could get up to an established Premier League club. It would take ridiculous amounts of money to crack the top 4 and like has been said you can only do that with a billionare owner. If we got promoted next year and then relegated in our first season, we would be in a strong financial position to make an instant return and build slowly

After Leeds nearly went bust, I remember reading some comments on a forum and the general consensus was that almost going out of business was worth it for the experience of the Champions League semi final etc.

I don't want to see us risk our future but I can appreciate the argument for it.

the owners of leicester paid the money as a birthdau present for his son. his profits have been hit by 5 million a month because of the finicial poo poo that has been happening. he would rather teach his son punto, bring on owners like that. chenri(sp) couldnt belive kia pulled the wool over his eyes and wants to recoup his cash.... we could be the same.

the owners of leicester paid the money as a birthdau present for his son. his profits have been hit by 5 million a month because of the finicial poo poo that has been happening. he would rather teach his son punto, bring on owners like that. chenri(sp) couldnt belive kia pulled the wool over his eyes and wants to recoup his cash.... we could be the same.

Eh?

eh?

im just saying that leicester are favs for promotion but the club was a birthday present and daddy didnt know how muich it would cost. chenri bought pompy but got screwed by an agent and wants hes money back. we could be in the same boat but are lucky

They cant,hence the fake sponsorship deal they have come up with,{fake allegedely }.The biggest in the history of the premiership by far,sponsored by a company that is owned by there owner,from a family whos wealth makes Abramovich look like Oliver Twist.So with this great deal they can suddenley break even lol'

I read an article recently about the supposed 'dodgy' dealing of the sponsorship of City. Actually though, when you look at the details of the deal it's not even the biggest.

IT's the biggest single sponsorship deal, but it covers the stadium, new training facilities, kit etc. AND it's over a 10 year period.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/manchester-citys-incredible-deal-know.html

• Agree 1

Fair enough it's my opinion based on years of playing it safe tactics at s6

How long have we had 'play it safe' tactics though? Between 2000 and 2010 we were paralysed by debt and had no option but to pay peanuts.

Before that we did what caused that mess (i.e. unsustainable spending) on players that mainly turned out to be sh!te.

How long have we had 'play it safe' tactics though? Between 2000 and 2010 we were paralysed by debt and had no option but to pay peanuts.

Before that we did what caused that mess (i.e. unsustainable spending) on players that mainly turned out to be sh!te.

Well that is not my memory of Pre 2000 my memory of Pre 2000 is we did overspend on some bad buys but did not spend like the clubs that have since left us well behind

Twice in my memory this club has had the chance of joining the likes of everton , spurs and villa ( not manure) a third opportunity in my lifetime was also squandered but I am too young to remember.

I don't think any fans in 94/95 thought we were overspending perhaps spending unwisely but overspending no

Well that is not my memory of Pre 2000 my memory of Pre 2000 is we did overspend on some bad buys but did not spend like the clubs that have since left us well behind

Twice in my memory this club has had the chance of joining the likes of everton , spurs and villa ( not manure) a third opportunity in my lifetime was also squandered but I am too young to remember.

I don't think any fans in 94/95 thought we were overspending perhaps spending unwisely but overspending no

To be fair (and tbh I have no figures or sources to back this up so feel free to correct me) but weren't we one of the bigger spenders in the early days of the premiership? Apart from Man Utd, Blackburn and Newcastle I don't think we were too far off competing spending-wise with many of our competitors. It was a different world then compared to now.

You're losing your touch

Wots that suppose to mean?

• Agree 1

To be fair (and tbh I have no figures or sources to back this up so feel free to correct me) but weren't we one of the bigger spenders in the early days of the premiership? Apart from Man Utd, Blackburn and Newcastle I don't think we were too far off competing spending-wise with many of our competitors. It was a different world then compared to now.

And also to be fair I have no figures either but my perception is that it was more money spent badly that was our problem rather than overspending.

Wots that suppose to mean?

It means try changing your bait no one's biting

It means try changing your bait no one's biting

Wasn't after a bite marky mark

Sorry to disappoint you .....

• Agree 1

Whether we overspent or not, we certainly mis-spent in the 90s. We were one of the top clubs in the PL, and while Man Utd, Liverpool etc were investing heavily in youth development, we were very content with our squad with and average age of 30. Richards et al were too short sighted to see that the squad would be gone in a few years. I'm not trying to suggest had we also invested in youth at that time we would be competing with the likes of Man Utd etc, but we would have stayed in the PL a lot longer. Sacking Trevor Francis and replacing him with Pleat though has to go down as the worst decision made at S6 in the last 20 years.

• Disagree 1