Liquidation

I don't think ive ever seen us play it safe.

We were in the premiership paying wages we couldn't afford, great while it lasted.

We have since then been bouncing between lower Championship and League One on a pathetic budget that we still couldn't maintain.

We escaped admin and possible liquidation by about a week.

Look at Portsmouth now, i wonder what they would prefer?

FA Cup winners to posssible non league in the space of 4 years.

Crazy talk man, have you been a sleep for the last 13 years.

No I assure I have not been asleep, neither unlike Portsmouth fans have I seen my team win the fa cup

No mate , I sincerely do not want Wednesday to sit in the championship and play it safe. Over my years of watching Wednesday I am sick of them playing safe. Remember invest in the stadium not the team blah, blah. Having a better stadium than man utd 25 years ago has really got us somewhere !

If man city go bust in 5 years time at least their fans will have had the memories, if they get put in league 7 they will be back just as rangers

Will be back aNd just as Wednesday will be back

Throwing money money money at the promotion to the top flight is a gamble.

It's a gamble with our future, especially when we seem to be getting all the groundwork underway. Picking up players for the mid to long term, cheaply. Investing in infrastructure, scouting network, academy - and doing it all in a sustainable manner.

We've waited this long, we can wait another season or two, surely? And that is not to say that even without throwing stupid money at it this season, we still won't have a bloody good shot at a high finish.

We werent steady under Dave Richards and it has taken us 15 years to get over it .On the verge of going out of business if MM had not stepped in,cant believe people want to go down that path again.If were in premiership in 7 years time I would be delighted sat with my lad cheering the owls on thinking how far we have come in 10 years.From div1 and bankrupt to a seat at the top table and solvent.If we get there sooner so be it but not if it puts the club at risk.

but neither did we really go for it under sir dave lol, IMO the board at the time played at it and came up short. All or nothing for me.

I would say no more than 3 years to where we are consolidating now.

Imo Wednesday would never spend any lenghth of time in the lower divisions we are simply too big a club to be out of the top two divisions for any lenghth of time

Just like Rangers you mean? Less than one week to start of the Scottish season and they aren't even definitely in the league yet!

Pompey likely to go bust in the next two weeks and you want to spend, spend,spend!

No thanks, I've seen us struggle enough financially over the last 40 odd years, prudence is now the watchword. Besides as other clubs go for it and go bust (which they will) we will climb up the league anyway.

but neither did we really go for it under sir dave lol, IMO the board at the time played at it and came up short. All or nothing for me.

I've heard many an Owl say over the years that Richard didn't quite spend enough, if he'd pushed it a bit further we could indeed have really established ourselves as top 6. They are well informed fans I speak of too, not burberrys

Just like Rangers you mean? Less than one week to start of the Scottish season and they aren't even definitely in the league yet!

Pompey likely to go bust in the next two weeks and you want to spend, spend,spend!

No thanks, I've seen us struggle enough financially over the last 40 odd years, prudence is now the watchword. Besides as other clubs go for it and go bust (which they will) we will climb up the league anyway.

Well if we go the prudent way that you wish I hope you are right about us climbing up the league

Personally i suspect that any team that goes into the epl that way will struggle and will have a 50% chance of gOing straight back down or at best effectively be guests in the bottom half of the league until the inevitable happens. There will of course be the odd exception but IMO the prudent way will condem Wednesday to be forever an also ran club.

I've heard many an Owl say over the years that Richard didn't quite spend enough, if he'd pushed it a bit further we could indeed have really established ourselves as top 6. They are well informed fans I speak of too, not burberrys

they are correct

Guest Sniper1

No I assure I have not been asleep, neither unlike Portsmouth fans have I seen my team win the fa cup

So when Pompey go bust and don't have a club anymore do you think they will give a f'k that they won the FA cup?

messed up.

So when Pompey go bust and don't have a club anymore do you think they will give a f'k that they won the FA cup?

messed up.

Portsmouth will always exist in some kind of form

Please don't throw insults like calling someone messed up it's a very immature thing to do

messed up.

Please don't throw insults like calling someone messed up it's a very immature thing to do

messed up.

messed up.

messed up.

messed up.

Guest Sniper1

'Portsmouth will always exist in some kind of form' - but you are moaning about being in the Championship.

'Please don't throw insults like calling someone messed up' - you sir should go and have a chat with a doctor.

I am trying to be polite, you are saying you would take a FA Cup win even though we would be days from non existance 3/4 years later.

Are you for real?

It was all reigned in when Andy Hinchcliffe (Broken toe nail) and Wim Jonk (Sprained Eyelash) were both ruled out for 3 years of their 4 year contracts. The holes, financial and on the pitch had to be filled. Crap on the pitch and other financial gaps being bridged by forcing out our Itallian players.

Other than that, it might have worked :cool:

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Guest phshaw

I disagree with Geedee because I never want to be on the verge of bankruptcy ever again for our great Club. But after supporting Wednesday for so long he deserves respect and his views at least given consideration. Although I disagree vehemently I can appreciate how his beliefs have evolved. I've been attending matches at S6 since 1960 and we've witnessed our club make a multitude of bad decisions and fail to prioritise correctly. From placing ground development over player recruitment/development in the 60s, to failing to invest further at crucial times, to reckless and wasteful spending post Charterhouse, you name it, we did it wrong. Like Geedee after the heartache of '66 and '93 I would love to gain some redemption before the final curtain and win the F.A. Cup. Older fans probably feel impatient and sense the clock is ticking if they are to experience that sensation they had when Nigel Pearson lifted the League Cup ever again. But all the failings of the past was then, this is now and to me, MM is doing it the right way and to simultaneously build up the infra- structure at the club is spot on. Just because we've been preached patience in the

past when except for the early 60s and early 90s, the chance to succeed was an illusion, at best minimal and usually a downright lie, doesn't mean we should abandon a patient and prudent approach now. The financial climate is changing at a time when I personally have never felt more optimistic about the future of our club. In the early 90s we may have had Waddle, Hirst, Nilsson, Sheridan et al but we didn't have a developed infrastructure with people experienced in sports management running the Club.

A final question for Geedee. Where do you stand in relation to the trophies Glasgow Rangers have won in recent years? They were obviously won by employing players they had no money to pay for in real terms. I am not trying to be clever dickish here, it is a genuine question posed by someone who is very upset at what has happened to Portsmouth F.C.

UTO, WTID

Sorry do not Agree top half of the premiership or nothing at all. Spend

flipping mental, lets get in to big debts again just so we can play in the top half of the premiership, and for that you would need a lot more money then Milans got or willing to invest, you have to get into the likes of Abramovic etc to have a realistic chance of winning anything now.

If you think we can suddenly become a Man Utd by spending and risking again then you're deluded.

The prudent approach can say dividends. It may not get us into the top 4 or the Champions league but it could get up to an established Premier League club. It would take ridiculous amounts of money to crack the top 4 and like has been said you can only do that with a billionare owner. If we got promoted next year and then relegated in our first season, we would be in a strong financial position to make an instant return and build slowly

After Leeds nearly went bust, I remember reading some comments on a forum and the general consensus was that almost going out of business was worth it for the experience of the Champions League semi final etc.

I don't want to see us risk our future but I can appreciate the argument for it.