The OFFICAL Owlstalk cycling thread

Burnsie

How long were you in the saddle? Also where did you start and end at?

Started at Whitehaven at 1:00 Friday and did 47.63 miles to Motherby. 53.27 to Stanhope on Saturday and 41.18 to Tynemouth on Sunday. I have an elapsed duration.of 16hr 39minutes on Endomondo but didn't pause the app when we stopped for food / photo stops / loo breaks etc.

Started at Whitehaven at 1:00 Friday and did 47.63 miles to Motherby. 53.27 to Stanhope on Saturday and 41.18 to Tynemouth on Sunday. I have an elapsed duration.of 16hr 39minutes on Endomondo but didn't pause the app when we stopped for food / photo stops / loo breaks etc.

That's pretty steady then (not meant in a negative way). I might suggest something like this to my mates one weekend.

Just not bothered...

That's pretty steady then (not meant in a negative way). I might suggest something like this to my mates one weekend.

It was steady, but the climbs were tough when you add in the weight of a pannier rack, two panniers and everything you think you might need for the weekend. The first day had 3785ft of climb and 3035ft descent, second day was 5488ft up and 5693ft down. The last 'easy' day which was scheduled as a steady roll into Tynemouth had 1640ft climb and 2331ft of descent.

I carried clothes that I never wore because the weather was good. If it had been wet or colder I would have needed what I took.

Eight of us did the ride, no punctures and only one chain break. I carry a spare sram power link so was able to patch him up.

Anyone able to give me any advice?

Don't much about Mountain Bikes - so can't really advise. But, that bike looks good.

New bikes are lovely. I have seen some brilliant road bikes today and I was sorely tempted. Some really sexy machines.

But, you have be realistic as to what you need. If a new bike will really change your enjoyment and help you achieve a higher level of competence then, go for it.

But I think in reality, it is the person on the bike that makes the difference - not the bike itself (sadly).

However, £450.00 is not a big price in this day and age.

If it is what you want and, it brings you enjoyment and you can afford it, go for it.

Maybe Mountain Bikers can advise you better?

AS i said further up its just trying to find suitable routes that is really stopping me from doing anything, When I tried cycling a year or so ago on the £80 asda bag it felt like very hard work this was along flat gradient. Evans are doing the none sport version for £350.

AS i said further up its just trying to find suitable routes that is really stopping me from doing anything, When I tried cycling a year or so ago on the £80 asda bag it felt like very hard work this was along flat gradient. Evans are doing the none sport version for £350.

I would get what you REALLY want, personally.

With regard to your visual impairment.

Try to find routes that will be cycle friendly. Check out if any local clubs can help out? Actually try - I think you might be surprised.

If I lived in Sheffield, I would try some routes out with you.

Otherwise, try and find a mate that will go with you and ride ahead and give you confidence.

STICK WITH IT.

Good luck.

For someone who wants to buy their first bike since they were 10 years old, will Decathlon be a decent place to buy from?

Only bought gear from there. I bet their assistants are on a par with Halfords?

Personally, I would go to a 'small' cycling shop. I used to use Butterworths when I was in Sheffield for advice.

BTW if it is a road bike you are after - then Boardman bikes are very highly rated. And, Halfords used to sell these.

Only bought gear from there. I bet their assistants are on a par with Halfords?

Personally, I would go to a 'small' cycling shop. I used to use Butterworths when I was in Sheffield for advice.

BTW if it is a road bike you are after - then Boardman bikes are very highly rated. And, Halfords used to sell these.

I'm looking to start cycling in the near future but know nothing about bikes and don't want to get ripped off. Going to use it to get to and from work, and for some light-moderate intensity cycling out and about.

What sort of bike should I be looking for? And what sort of price do you reckon? Could really use some help and advice! :unsure:

I'm looking to start cycling in the near future but know nothing about bikes and don't want to get ripped off. Going to use it to get to and from work, and for some light-moderate intensity cycling out and about.

What sort of bike should I be looking for? And what sort of price do you reckon? Could really use some help and advice! :unsure:

Gosh, it's all changed. I am not an expert.

For something for work there are bikes called hybrid bikes.

A cross between Mountain and Road bikes. (Mountain frames and Road tyres and gears). They are not a poor relation. Some are pretty expensive.

Should be able to get a good one for around £500.00?

Gosh, it's all changed. I am not an expert.

For something for work there are bikes called hybrid bikes.

A cross between Mountain and Road bikes. (Mountain frames and Road tyres and gears). They are not a poor relation. Some are pretty expensive.

Should be able to get a good one for around �500.00?

£500?!?! Yikes! Bit more than I was expecting lol

Also, where I'm living, and going to be living, there are places to secure a bike but they are outdoors and open to the wind and rain. Will this damage the bike? If so, is there any way to mitigate this?

£500?!?! Yikes! Bit more than I was expecting lol

Also, where I'm living, and going to be living, there are places to secure a bike but they are outdoors and open to the wind and rain. Will this damage the bike? If so, is there any way to mitigate this?

Most bikes have good gear sets (campagnolo, Shimono) most of the cost goes into them. If you bought a bike say, for a £1000.00 most of the cost would go into basic items - such as gears.

I looked at a carbon fibre frame today for a road bike - £1000.00

lol

Unless you are 'gifted' it is daft money.

Mitigate from weather? - tough one.

You can get 'little plastic sheds' if where you store the bike will accommodate it?

Otherwise a cover - but thats about it.

Obviously, regularly cleaning would help.

A good way of doing it would be joining a works cycle to work scheme as Readings mentioned, you can get a decent bike at a good discount, also some of them run schemes where you can 'try out' a bike for free for a month to see if you like it before committing.

With regards to what type of bike it depends really, road bikes are much faster lighter (and I prefer these) but mountain style bikes are more robust with their chunky tyres and probably cope with the pot holes better and also you can take them off road at weekends etc.

If you can have a go on each type and see which you prefer, you would obviously look far cooler on a road bike imo

I've just got back from the Sheffield GP elite city centre road race, some really sexy machines on show tonight going at an incredible pace too