The OFFICAL Owlstalk cycling thread

Burnsie

What sort of clothing do I need to be wearing? Is it worth going to decathlon and getting some clobber? If so what? Don't want to spend a fortune but trackie bottoms seem a bit billowy.

Just signed up for a college course at hillsborough college so going to use my bike to get to and from I reckon. Not a big journey by any stretch but it'll mean it gets some use finally.

Batigol, cheers for the offer. Let me sort out what I'm up to and I'll let you know if that's ok.

What sort of clothing do I need to be wearing? Is it worth going to decathlon and getting some clobber? If so what? Don't want to spend a fortune but trackie bottoms seem a bit billowy.

Just signed up for a college course at hillsborough college so going to use my bike to get to and from I reckon. Not a big journey by any stretch but it'll mean it gets some use finally.

Batigol, cheers for the offer. Let me sort out what I'm up to and I'll let you know if that's ok.

get some padded shorts. Wear them under nomral shorts if you like (small nob!!!!)

did 9 miles to work this morning....promble is i have to do 9 miles back in this head.

prombles

prombles

I've just heard the film-makers behind the Senna movie are doing a film about the life of Marco Pantani. Should be out next May. Wow

Brilliant. They'll ignore the fact that Pantani was on EPO and blame his death entirely on Lance Armstrong then.

Guest Batigol

No problem mate! will be fun having a ride outl

re the clothing, Id definately go for padded cycle shorts, and then as previously mentioned, stick a pair of football shorts over then if you prefer.

Im very very nesh (get it of my mum), so I always wear loads of tops, underarmour cold gear are the best i think, and if the weathers poor I stick a bin bag with holes made for arms and head underneath too!

I did the C2C last weekend, 47.63 miles on Friday, 53.27 on Saturday and 41.18 on Sunday, staying in B&B's in Motherby and Stanhope on the way. I rode a Trek 4700 mountain bike with panniers, carrying everything on the bike.

It was the first time that I had attempted a ride as long as this, thankfully the weather was kind.

I did the C2C last weekend, 47.63 miles on Friday, 53.27 on Saturday and 41.18 on Sunday, staying in B&B's in Motherby and Stanhope on the way. I rode a Trek 4700 mountain bike with panniers, carrying everything on the bike.

It was the first time that I had attempted a ride as long as this, thankfully the weather was kind.

How long were you in the saddle? Also where did you start and end at?

Just not bothered...

Went out on the bike last night - 1 1/4 hours.

Waited until 7:00 pm so it was cooler. Going up the hill into my village - I thought I was going to die.

Blumin STI de railer gears on bike not working properly. Won't change above 3rd or 6th gears.

Been on YOUTUBE to check out gear maintanence - have to decide whether to take bike in or have a go at DIY?

Does anyone maintain their own gears?

Went out on the bike last night - 1 1/4 hours.

Waited until 7:00 pm so it was cooler. Going up the hill into my village - I thought I was going to die.

Blumin STI de railer gears on bike not working properly. Won't change above 3rd or 6th gears.

Been on YOUTUBE to check out gear maintanence - have to decide whether to take bike in or have a go at DIY?

Does anyone maintain their own gears?

I don't bother Reading, I would rather just take it for a service and get everything done in one go by an expert, I've taken mine to Butterworths on Abbeydale road for a service and it's £26 (excluding any parts it may need like brake pads etc) which I think is worth doing say once a year

I don't bother Reading, I would rather just take it for a service and get everything done in one go by an expert, I've taken mine to Butterworths on Abbeydale road for a service and it's £26 (excluding any parts it may need like brake pads etc) which I think is worth doing say once a year

Thanks, I think i'll do that.

With it being stuck in low gears - it didn't affect my climbing.

Still rubbish at that.

lol

I just free wheeled down hill.

This is my MTB :

cube_aim_2011.jpg

and this is my Hybrid

cube-nature-pro-black-grey-green-2012-b.jpg

I love them both equally......

My cycle to work route is 7 miles from Catcliffe to Sheffield City Centre via Trans-Pennine route at Attercliffe

http://www.routeyou....effield-work.en

Other favourite routes are

Catcliffe to Rother Valley

http://www.mapmyrun....s/view/94404801

and Rother Valley to Poolsbrook Country Park...

Have also done Tissington Trail , Monsal Trail and Howden Reservoir.....

I keep wanting to get into cycling always looking at bikes never go through with the purchase since I have nowhere I can ride.

My problem is I cant really ride on roads due to my eye sight and i dont know any places with easy access to off road routes. I guess the only easy one is doing the canal from Sheffield to Rotherham.

I keep wanting to get into cycling always looking at bikes never go through with the purchase since I have nowhere I can ride.

My problem is I cant really ride on roads due to my eye sight and i dont know any places with easy access to off road routes. I guess the only easy one is doing the canal from Sheffield to Rotherham.

There are loads of routes out there.... I was the same as you, thought that living in a built up area next to Sheffield Parkway would limit me.... but there are plenty of websites out there plotting routes for you.

Just reading your post above and the 2nd route is one I have always thought about doing all be it going the hard way up via Beighton from Woodhouse. Guess thats one of the good things is that I have Woodhouse station so I can jump on the train to anywhere.

I used to adjust mine myself, stand the bike on its saddle upside down and turn the crank with your hand get screw driver on it and have a tinker! while changing through the gears.

Yes, I may have to do that.

Just telephoned a 'private' bloke near me. He said he had 3 days work and I wouldn't get it back this week. I bet he actually builds bikes.

I guess all the cycle shops will be busy ATM what with the weather and Wiggins.

Can't you get a mate to ride with you/in front?

Seems a shame to miss out.

Just took my bike into the local bike shop in Wallingford.

They have got some absolutely fantastic road bikes in, starting a £1000 going up to £3650.00

With my ability (and fitness) I can't justify it.

But comparing my gear sets - my front small ring is larger than those in the shop. I suspect that is why I have troubling getting up the hills in the saddle, it has always had too high gearing.

Anyway - it is having a full service and new rear cassette with larger 1st gear cog.

Service - £40.00

New cassette and chain - £65.00

The shop was picked out BTW.

Cheaper than changing the bike. I'll let you know if it improves my climbing.

lol