The OFFICAL Owlstalk cycling thread

Burnsie

Right, as mentioned in la Tour de France thread... someone suggested we have an OFFICAL Owlstalk cycling thread.

All things cycling in here. Routes, maintenance, how gay you look wherein lycra etc.

So, here are my two push-irons.

493_12_whiteblack.jpg

The very thoughtfully named, Trek 1.2 2011 road bike. I generally use this for the odd commute to work (9 miles each way) or to the gym and back. Not really done a “big” ride on it before. This is mainly due to the fact that I’m not a very good cyclist and don’t like flying down hills at +40 mph. And then, on the other side I cant seem to put the power down to get me up hills!

specialized-hardrock-pro-disc-2011-mountain-bike.jpg

This has a better name, Specialized hardrock pro 2011. Again, not done too many single tracks yet, mainly due to not having any idea where to go. Done a few 20=miles round ladybower etc going through some muddy stuff there.

Over to you (4 or so posters who like cycling).

Got back on my bike at the weekend after not going out for nearly 2 years! Really enjoyed it until my lungs gave up!

I've got one of these:

xl__4500_mtb.jpg

Really wanting to get a road bike but I can't really afford one at the minute and know I won't ride it in the winter so might have to shelve that idea.

Just not bothered...

Got back on my bike Really wanting to get a road bike but I can't really afford one at the minute and know I won't ride it in the winter so might have to shelve that idea.

got mine after i split up with the ex (and my mtb, and new TV, laptop etc). So, spilt up with the mrs and go a spending!

specialized-hardrock-pro-disc-2011-mountain-bike.jpg

This has a better name, Specialized hardrock pro 2011. Again, not done too many single tracks yet, mainly due to not having any idea where to go. Done a few 20=miles round ladybower etc going through some muddy stuff there.

Over to you (4 or so posters who like cycling).

where do you live Burnsie? Grenoside woods is good for mountain biking - World Champion Steve Peat used to train there. If you don't live nearby, you can drive up there, there's a decent car park. The main trail has been purpose built by users and is (apologies for this word as I'm in my 30s) gnarly as roger. Ladybower is ok but can be a bit boring on the road side.

where do you live Burnsie? Grenoside woods is good for mountain biking - World Champion Steve Peat used to train there. If you don't live nearby, you can drive up there, there's a decent car park. The main trail has been purpose built by users and is (apologies for this word as I'm in my 30s) gnarly as roger. Ladybower is ok but can be a bit boring on the road side.

I live in the red half of the city, Woodseats! Not 'done' Greno yet, its certainly on the rader.

It's ace, I've only recently got around to doing it after years of thinking it was in a different part of the woods and not being arsed but wish I'd done it sooner ie when i was a little less concerned with my own personal safety and i could attack it a bit more. Still good fun though.

Guest Batigol

Hi all

Ive got an entry level Halfords Apollo road bike, but then Ive changed the front pedlier, the handle bars to standard straight bar, the gear levers and rear gear cassette, oh and the wheels too.

Grandad off of ere laughs about it and says its like triggers broom! (Only Fools and Horses).

Regulary do rides out to different places 50ish miles away, night out, stay over and the same back the next day.

if anyone fancies @oming along, please do!

Hi all

Ive got an entry level Halfords Apollo road bike, but then Ive changed the front pedlier, the handle bars to standard straight bar, the gear levers and rear gear cassette, oh and the wheels too.

Grandad off of ere laughs about it and says its like triggers broom! (Only Fools and Horses).

Regulary do rides out to different places 50ish miles away, night out, stay over and the same back the next day.

if anyone fancies @oming along, please do!

He is bang on. It is basically just the frame left! lol

Just not bothered...

Guest Batigol

He is bang on. It is basically just the frame left! lol

Ha ha! it is really, and I would like to change the frame too, but I like it loads cos its very very yellow!

Grandad actually offered me he chance of buying his bike from him, but at the time I couldnt commit to it as I was facing possible redunadancy (which forunately didnt occur).

I should give more details about our rides really should anyone be interested. We usually (just 2 of us) meet up a* about 9am at Wetherspoons on Woodseats (the Woodseats Palace) on a Saturday, have breakfast and the ride. we did Nottingham last time in about 4 hours in the saddle and do roughly 4 15ish mile stints (stopping off for breaks and lunch (and probably a pint or 2)

Come along, we'll always ride to the pace of the slowest rider.

post-24932-0-11552700-1343060391_thumb.j

My wheels. Love it but the road tyres aren't designed for the journey to work as I learnt at Manor Top one day when my wheel got caught in the track and I went flying head first into the railings in front of Jack Fulton, Gym etc

Have you only got one leg?

I've got a diamond back mountain bike. Got front and rear suspension and part of me wishes I'd just gone for a road bike. I've set the suspension as tight as possible though so its ok. I've had it a couple of years and hardly used it. I think this summer though I'm gonna get out on it.

We go to monsal head as a family and that's excellent, though busy at times. On my own I go to rivelin if I'm out an about. Usually work my way along until Manchester road then up to stannington for a bit of a climb, then fly down home as fast as I dare.

I'm gonna get out on it more and contribute to this thread. Owlstalk, help me utilise my bike.

My road bike must be 20 years old, now.

It is a Richard Virenque, Peugeot - I bought it from Butterworths at the back of Leppings Lane for £500, which was a lot of money then. It has STI gears (Shimono total integration).

Compared to modern machines it is rubbish. It is why I am crap up hills.

lol

It was saying on the Radio at the weekend that Wiggins' bikes cost £15000. It has an electric (battery) operated gear change. Is that just the time trial bike?

The OP's road bike looks good IMO.

Guest Batigol

I've got a diamond back mountain bike. Got front and rear suspension and part of me wishes I'd just gone for a road bike. I've set the suspension as tight as possible though so its ok. I've had it a couple of years and hardly used it. I think this summer though I'm gonna get out on it.

We go to monsal head as a family and that's excellent, though busy at times. On my own I go to rivelin if I'm out an about. Usually work my way along until Manchester road then up to stannington for a bit of a climb, then fly down home as fast as I dare.

I'm gonna get out on it more and contribute to this thread. Owlstalk, help me utilise my bike.

Come on mate, join us for a ride!!

Happy to go as far as you're comfortable with!!

Lad the I cycle with has a Mountain bike too so its not quick I absolutely promise!!

Guest Batigol

My road bike must be 20 years old, now.

It is a Richard Virenque, Peugeot - I bought it from Butterworths at the back of Leppings Lane for �500, which was a lot of money then. It has STI gears (Shimono total integration).

Compared to modern machines it is rubbish. It is why I am crap up hills.

lol

It was saying on the Radio at the weekend that Wiggins' bikes cost �15000. It has an electric (battery) operated gear change. Is that just the time trial bike?

The OP's road bike looks good IMO.

Flippin eck!!

£15000?? Id love to have a car that cost that much!!

:st2: