Best free transfer to grace the blue & white

Guest TheKopOwl

Viv Anderson is the first to spring to mind, but then Trevor Francis is a strong shout too.

Chris Brunt wasn't bad for free, got a good few years out of him, some cracking goals and a good fee.

He wasnt bad for the £100k we paid either.

would have to say whelan and brunt signed for nowt got us promoted and sold em for millions .....it dont get better than that

I'm pretty sure we paid about £30k for Whelan too.

I thought we got him for nothing after he was dropped from Middlesborough's youth?

And Whelan from Manchester City's.

IIRC they were letting them go but there was competition to sign them so we had to pay fees.

Viv Anderson is the first to spring to mind, but then Trevor Francis is a strong shout too.

He wasnt bad for the £100k we paid either.

I'm pretty sure we paid about £30k for Whelan too.

according to jason dickinson and john brodie in the book the wednesday boys chris brunt was released by boro in jan 04 had a trial at cardiff and then signed for us in march the same year for FREE ...... same with whelan according to dickinson and brodie had a trial with wycombe after being released by man city and then joined us for FREE.

Definitely Viv in fact, solid defensively and some really important late goals (particularly in 91/92 - I seem to remember a goal against West Ham and another against Coventry securing us vital points in poor performances) - and, whilst I love Semedo, two divisions higher as well.

It wasn't technically a free transfer, because his contract with Lincoln City had expired, but he cost us nowt, so it has to be Derek Dooley, I would then think, followed by Lawrie Madden.

Semedo was outstanding last season, but it was in the third tier, so I'll wait to see how he goes on this season, before making a proper judgement.