OFFICIAL - Anthony Gardner signs

What I think is interesting about this signing is, the fact that his agent earlier in the week, and he himself now, have emphasised the importance of playing Premiership football. Obvious point, but stay with me. He said he didn't want to be at a team just consolidating in the Championship.

In my opinion, Palace currently have as strong a squad as us, if not stronger, though, with our signings, we're getting closer. Therefore, in selling the club to him, we must have outlined our transfer plans, and told him names we're aiming for + budget, and convinced him we will be contenders.

It looks like Maguire might arrive and hopefully Antonio, but both are still developing talents, who will unlikely have wowed Gardner. So maybe when DJ said he's got 5/6 things going on/irons in the fire, there are some players of real proven calibre likely to come in, who've really convinced him we're going to make a proper fist of it.

The naysayers will say his desire to play Prem football isn't the decisive factor, money is. I doubt we're paying significantly more money than Palace, but what do I know.

All the signings have been solid so far but none really which have really convinced me we're playoff/promotion candidates. I've written this post partly to convince myself that the players are coming and we will get there.

Agree with that. Jones is laying the foundations at the moment.

I'm happy with our business so far and this is another good signing.

Don't get the RS baiting. Their 'source' is the club, DJ, PA or someone in their comms team.

They tell them some things on the record they can publish. They get told some things off the record they infer. Sometimes, like here, they use them to put some pressure on the agent/player.

They are just communicating what the club tell them, so why all the aggro?

Maybe the "club" are getting their own back after all the bollix RS have spouted about us (the club and supporters) over the years. I sincerely hope so.

I think this will be a good signing for us. It may also bridge the gap between the defence and midfield, in that he isn't scared of playing the ball on the deck when playing out of defence.

Welcome Anthony and good luck.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

I bet all those who slagged him off in the other thread feel like right tails now lol

Not really, I have been underwhelmed with all is signings... ALL OF THEM I TELL YE! !

We're doomed Mr Mainwaring .... DOOOMED

Edited by Bournemouth Owl