OFFICIAL - Anthony Gardner signs

So then,

Is he still an egotistical, over ambitious, money grabbing crock?

lol Foreveranowl 1-0 Rest of Owlstalk

Not fickle ey??

So then,

Is he still an egotistical, over ambitious, money grabbing crock?

lol Foreveranowl 1-0 Rest of Owlstalk

Not fickle ey??

My opinion remains exactly the same.

yes Gibbo I agree. He is vastly experienced. Yes he has a rep for injuries but he played 36 league games for Palace last season didn't he???

Also he is on a free so no risk as I see it. Top defender.

C'mon OT get happy

Not even 36, more like 28.

Great player, but will be see much of him? I hope so. I just have a terrible feeling about it.

What I think is interesting about this signing is, the fact that his agent earlier in the week, and he himself now, have emphasised the importance of playing Premiership football. Obvious point, but stay with me. He said he didn't want to be at a team just consolidating in the Championship.

In my opinion, Palace currently have as strong a squad as us, if not stronger, though, with our signings, we're getting closer. Therefore, in selling the club to him, we must have outlined our transfer plans, and told him names we're aiming for + budget, and convinced him we will be contenders.

It looks like Maguire might arrive and hopefully Antonio, but both are still developing talents, who will unlikely have wowed Gardner. So maybe when DJ said he's got 5/6 things going on/irons in the fire, there are some players of real proven calibre likely to come in, who've really convinced him we're going to make a proper fist of it.

The naysayers will say his desire to play Prem football isn't the decisive factor, money is. I doubt we're paying significantly more money than Palace, but what do I know.

All the signings have been solid so far but none really which have really convinced me we're playoff/promotion candidates. I've written this post partly to convince myself that the players are coming and we will get there.

Can't really say i'm happy about this one...

Usually good judge of a player. What's putting you off - just injury record? He's been injury free for 2 seasons (if you believe agent and disregard fact he's currently injured).

I had reservations because of injuries and want consistent backline, but having spoken to Palace friend and read what their fans have said, what impresses me is: stature (6"4, at least), bit of pace and mainly, apparently he's a real calming influence, organiser and makes players around him better.

Think last point is particularly important - help Llera and Buxton make the step back up, bring along youngsters such as Mattock and Lee. And they said, Paddy McCarthy - who'd been rash and erratic - had really improved as a player next to Gardner. Maybe if Reda was to return to CB, Gardner would be the perfect partner for him.

Edited by Juror8

Guest Sniper1

What I think is interesting about this signing is, the fact that his agent earlier in the week, and he himself now, have emphasised the importance of playing Premiership football. Obvious point, but stay with me. He said he didn't want to be at a team just consolidating in the Championship.

In my opinion, Palace currently have as strong a squad as us, if not stronger, though, with our signings, we're getting closer. Therefore, in selling the club to him, we must have outlined our transfer plans, and told him names we're aiming for + budget, and convinced him we will be contenders.

It looks like Maguire might arrive and hopefully Antonio, but both are still developing talents, who will unlikely have wowed Gardner. So maybe when DJ said he's got 5/6 things going on/irons in the fire, there are some players of real proven calibre likely to come in, who've really convinced him we're going to make a proper fist of it.

The naysayers will say his desire to play Prem football isn't the decisive factor, money is. I doubt we're paying significantly more money than Palace, but what do I know.

All the signings have been solid so far but none really which have really convinced me we're playoff/promotion candidates. I've written this post partly to convince myself that the players are coming and we will get there.

What you are saying Juror is exactly what i thought after the Kirkland signing and the Mattock signing.

These players are signing with a return to the premiership in mind and im not talking 3/4 years time like we have heard before.

We (Milan and Dave) are selling our club to these players, they want to be part of it.

Milan isn't stupid he knows promotion to the prem will come at a cost but if we do get promoted Milan will get his money back x5.

Is it worth the risk to our owner, time will tell.

PS good post.

to put it in perspective maybe just maybe the lad wants to prove his doubters wrong ,Let him get on with it before we judge ,every player gets injured some time ,And tbh it always dosent equate that when he is fit he will get injured again ,who knows what the future holds for gardner or kirkland both have a personal challenge to prove to themselves as well as swfc , good luck to them both ,and here's to a good career move for each of them ,

I think this will be a good signing for us. It may also bridge the gap between the defence and midfield, in that he isn't scared of playing the ball on the deck when playing out of defence.

Welcome Anthony and good luck.

CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Transfer Hotline

Anthony Gardner to Sheffield Wednesday

User Name Remember Me?

Password

Register FAQ Subscribe Members List Calendar

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Page 1 of 109 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 51 101 > Last »

31-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Big Guns

Anthony Gardner to Sheffield Wednesday

According to skysports we are trying to tie up a deal for him on loan until jan

360 Gamertag: Bunz69

PS3 Gamertag Bunz69

CHECK OUT THE USER NAME!! TRAITOR!!

Obvious fitness concerns but a good quality player for championship standards.

Remember him at Spurs and Hull , very tall but surprisingly quick with it in the Palmer /Anderson envelope.

Potentially a very good signing and DJ continues to impress with his acumen in the transfer market.