The band are banned

Guest intercity0wl

Put it this way. I don't think anyone goes because of the Band - but I bet some dont go because of them.

I am trying to be as sensitive as possible - but after a lifetime on the Kop I am thinking about trying somewhere else.

They 'do' my head in that much.

90 mins of repetitive dirge.

Personally, I think they play for their own enjoyment.

Sod everyone else.

Edited by ReadingOwl

Anyone hear 5 live this morning?

Seems like England fans find the band just as irritating as we do- judging by some of the calls.

Personally I wouldn't be adverse to a lone drummer to accompany a chant after it has started. I just don't think they should be starting stuff.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Put it this way. I don't think anyone goes because of the Band - but I bet some dont go because of them.

I am trying to be as sensitive as possible - but after a lifetime on the Kop I am thinking about trying somewhere else.

Sod everyone else.

You're not alone in that thinking

1) If you have nothing to shout about barring hatred for a manager, players, chairmen etc it will hardly create a vibrant feeling

2) The Kop is very sparse these days, the price difference between there and the North is barely something to break the bank so many have moved to a better view and ale (before Kop was licensed) even if it's a couple of hundred it's people who have been vocal and usually stand with mates of the same ilk.

3) No, not to my knowledge, 21k last season, 23k in the promotion season of 2005

4) See 1

1) As I previously said though, how does that explain an absolutely amazing away following in terms of sound during the same period?

2) Can't say I've noticed much of a change in numbers on the Kop to be honest. The North has 100 or so that try to create an atmosphere and the South is even worse than a morgue - so I don't understand where these vocal fans have gone?

3) Last few seasons in the Premiership was around 23,000 off memory, so it isn't like there is much of a gap in terms of numbers in the Premiership and in League One.

4) As 1.

Sod everyone else.

I would have to question any Owls fan who decides against going to support their club just because there is a handful of blokes there playing instruments during the game.

BTW, you can here the band from all areas of the stadium, so where you sit doesn't really matter (though it is probably louder on the Kop). Ear plugs might help! lol

They 'do' my had in that much.

This is my main complaint about them. And they don't seem to care that they keep some fans away. I can remember an older gentleman posting around the time of the 'vote' and he said they stopped him from going due to the noise. The work they do for the local community should be commended, I think that is great, but it riles me that they know that they are divisive yet continue to play. People will continue to turn up without the band.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

1) As I previously said though, how does that explain an absolutely amazing away following in terms of sound during the same period?

2) Can't say I've noticed much of a change in numbers on the Kop to be honest. The North has 100 or so that try to create an atmosphere and the South is even worse than a morgue - so I don't understand where these vocal fans have gone?

3) Last few seasons in the Premiership was around 23,000 off memory, so it isn't like there is much of a gap in terms of numbers in the Premiership and in League One.

4) As 1.

1) The away support has always been bob on, because it's more than just the football it's the entire day out and more often than not it's a free for all where you stand and sit.

2) Banning orders would account for many of them, depends where you sit, it's a sorry sight looking at the Kop sometimes for games particularly when the North is pretty solidly full for most games

3) Our average in the Premier never got close to 23k, it was just under 25k on two occasions.

4) see 1 ;)

1) The away support has always been bob on, because it's more than just the football it's the entire day out and more often than not it's a free for all where you stand and sit.

2) Banning orders would account for many of them, depends where you sit, it's a sorry sight looking at the Kop sometimes for games particularly when the North is pretty solidly full for most games

3) Our average in the Premier never got close to 23k, it was just under 25k on two occasions.

4) see 1 ;)

1) But, it is still supporting what was a poor set up on the pitch and off it - the same thing blamed for the lack of support at Hillsborough. Doesn't make sense.

2) Agreed, but it has looked like that for ages. I would guess a lot of people have relocated from the Kop for many a other reason too - lack of facilities, poorer view, the price difference compared to other stands being pretty small now, the lack of atmosphere over recent times. Wasn't there a long period a few seasons ago when the Band wasn't actually at Hillsborough (with instruments anyway) - can't recall that making a jot of difference.

3) I'd say an attendance of 24k is close to 23k! ;-)

4) See 1! lol

All I'll say is - can you imagine twenty years ago the reaction if a die-hard Wednesday fan, let's say Tango or Sammy, missed a few Wednesday games because a rugby team in Leeds was paying them to play there instead?

They wouldn't be allowed to set foot back in Hillsborough again.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

1) But, it is still supporting what was a poor set up on the pitch and off it - the same thing blamed for the lack of support at Hillsborough. Doesn't make sense.

2) Agreed, but it has looked like that for ages. I would guess a lot of people have relocated from the Kop for many a other reason too - lack of facilities, poorer view, the price difference compared to other stands being pretty small now, the lack of atmosphere over recent times. Wasn't there a long period a few seasons ago when the Band wasn't actually at Hillsborough (with instruments anyway) - can't recall that making a jot of difference.

3) I'd say an attendance of 24k is close to 23k! ;-)

4) See 1! lol

1) Some may say spending money away from the club was a protest, I didn't renew for the only time during the 2004/05 season and attended more away games than home that season

2) It's looked like it from the the mid 90's, the sad thing is the that the Kop is so expansive it looks dead.

(The first two seasons without the band saw our best averages of the the last decade)

3) It's 24,855 so it's closer to 25k than 23k :biggrin:

4) See 1 :tango:

1) Some may say spending money away from the club was a protest, I didn't renew for the only time during the 2004/05 season and attended more away games than home that season

2) It's looked like it from the the mid 90's, the sad thing is the that the Kop is so expansive it looks dead.

(The first two seasons without the band saw our best averages of the the last decade)

3) It's 24,855 so it's closer to 25k than 23k :biggrin:

4) See 1 :tango:

How have I not seen this - :tango: - before?!

As you said mate, we could go round and round with this. As Bach said though, even though I've been a season ticket holder since I was at the age of needing on in 1990 (aged 11), my opinion is merely based on what other people lead me to believe, so it isn't valid! lol

Or alternatively, as a season ticket holder for the past 23 years, I've been there to witness a morgue-like Kop...

Facing the reality that the Kop isn't as loud as it once was is a different issue to whether the band improves or harms the atmosphere.

It is, however, a conveniant excuse for the band to play on and at the same time tell fans they are there for their benefit when in actual fact already have the means to help themselves.

Guest York-owl-chris

The band need to learn when to stop.

They need to learn the CORRECT music to 'Singing the blues'

And they shouldn't join into songs like 'we are the wednesday boys'.....they're too slow.

But I do still think they can add something to the atmosphere

As Kivo alluded to, if you're going to be the 'Official Kop Band' then be there at every home game.

If they're creating a culture of dependancy on theirmusic then they shouldn't just swan off on a matchday when something better comes along. Be there all the time or don't bother.

Guest Triplej2

Get ready to hear the annoying predictable tuneless sh*tbags tonight. They've been un-banned :mad: :mad:

Edited by Triplej2