Club or Country?

Oh, I just noticed someone else already summed it up nicely...

100% Club. Not fussed much on international football and patriotism is... perhaps "disgusting" is too strong a word, but it's close.

I don't think disgusting is the right word to use though, I'd probably lean towards "senseless" myself. Taking pride in someone else's achievements because they were born within some arbitrary geographical border? I don't get it.

I do sometimes contradict this viewpoint myself though; I have a strange fondness of anyone associated with Sheffield for some reason, but that doesn't really extend to England or the UK.

I actually got into international football first. My ex was a Derby fan (yeah, I know) who made me watch the 2006 world cup. Supporting Italy turned out well, but it was the semi-final against Germany where it really clicked for me. Those last two goals were just... but Wednesday is better, because you live it week in week out. I know nothing about football, compared to most people on here, but I get the excitement and the anguish and the elation. I've got to know the players, and how the team works, and how the crowd feels.. and you just can't beat it. It doesn't surprise me that most people don't seem to connect with the England team, because it isn't a team; there isn't that sense of being all in it together, its cynical and mercenary and soulless.

that is just utter bullshit

I don't think disgusting is the right word to use though, I'd probably lean towards "senseless" myself. Taking pride in someone else's achievements because they were born within some arbitrary geographical border? I don't get it.

Then why take a pride in anything?

If Wednesday do well its somebody elses achievements - unless you're a player of course...

International football has lost something for me since Euro 1996. I was only 9 then and I was gripped. I wasn't interested in football before then.

I love international tournaments but watching England feels... different to then. I don't know if that's because the game has changed or my perception has changed,

I don't feel excited about watching England this week, which is sad. I used to love it.

But then I look back and I rumblein loved the jap world cup

Then why take a pride in anything?

If Wednesday do well its somebody elses achievements - unless you're a player of course...

It's a good question, and one I'm not sure I really have an acceptable answer for. I've already conceded that I do actually take a bit of extra pride in people from Sheffield, so I can see where the 'national pride' thing comes from, even though I don't follow those views myself.

I can only assume that I tend to distance myself away from patriotism because it is often used as an excuse or reason for treating other people differently (often negatively) on an international level. I guess in the same way you could say supporting SWFC sometimes gives mindless people what they think is a free reign to go and beat up United fans for wearing a different coloured shirt, and vice versa.

I think it also has a lot to do with my dad, who is pretty horrible when it comes to these kinds of things... He hates the French for no good reason, hates the Germans for no good reason, hated the Scottish for no good reason (until he discovered that he had lost relatives up there :rolleyes:)...etc. I can't get my head around that kind of illogical thinking, so I find it hard to follow the kind of mindset which gets you associated with those kinds of people.

Fair points - i tend to think of patriotism as healthy and celebratory - i associate xenophobia with the darker side of supposedly loving ones country.

I am patriotic and tend to generally want England to do well in just about everything and i'm very passionate about the national football team - but i don't hate or even dislike anyone else.

I am proud of our tolerance, our ability to welcome and integrate with multi ethnicities, faiths and cultures - its not something i can claim to have been instrumental in achieving but my ancestors and their peers did - and we take up the baton from them.

So while i accept that pride in the achievements of others might seem a little abstract it's something we can feel a connection with. - be it our country, our football club, somebody from our city etc etc

I really don't have a problem with it

Southern club because that's where they play. Club because it hurts much much more when Wednesday lose and feels much better when they win. Will not have sleepless nights worrying about how England will do, will not have to pace around the living room if they are 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go, will not think I'm about to have a coronary every time the opposition attack, will not cry when they lose or win and just generally don't get that lump in my throat and moisture in the eyes when the national anthem is sung as opposed to HI HO call me unpatriotic if you like but Wednesday are about life and death England just don't pull the same strings.

this summed it up imo

For Wednesday i would do anything to watch or listen to a game, England on the other hand if im free and nothing better to do i will put it on the TV but certainly have no connection with the team and if they score there is no real emotion like there is watching the Wednesday...

... in short the England team means NOTHING to me :wacko:

Guest Bedders

Think someone summed it up nicely with....if Wednesday were playing the same night as England who would you watch?

Wednesday all the way.....and that's the end of the discussion really! England are a sideshow when Wednesday aren't playing & anyone who can't see that is kidding themselves on!

As for the Wednesday band on a double date when England are on............

Guest Bedders

Capdevilla is nowhere near the best left back in the world, may have won tournaments, but by that theory you are saying Messi and Ronaldo are awful players. Is Capdevilla even in the Euro squad for Spain?

I'm not a big England fan, but I can't think of a better left back than Cole, and I don't read the Sun and don't listen to their opinions.

Ronaldo INTERNATIONALLY is an awful player! 2006 World Cup v England......Rooney........trying to influence the ref......winker.........not saying anymore!

Guest Bedders

Capdevilla is nowhere near the best left back in the world, may have won tournaments, but by that theory you are saying Messi and Ronaldo are awful players. Is Capdevilla even in the Euro squad for Spain?

I'm not a big England fan, but I can't think of a better left back than Cole, and I don't read the Sun and don't listen to their opinions.

Ronaldo INTERNATIONALLY is an awful player! 2006 World Cup v England......Rooney........trying to influence the ref......winker.........not saying anymore!

I suggest you have a look how many goals Ronaldo scored for Portugal in the 2010 World Cup qualifiers..........I'll wait for you to come back with the answer to that one! Suprised? Not quite the same player who plays for Madrid eh?

Edited by Bedders

think we all agreed when it comes to owls or england then its wednesday everytime .cant for the life of me understand though why there seems so much dislike of the england team ,ok they aint much good but thats no reason to desert them .i was around for 66 and 90 when the whole country was behind them and the feeling of everyone pulling for them was a joy to experience .lets hope they pull there finger out and do it over the next 3 weeks so some of the young uns on here can experience it as well .

Club every time, however, I support England and GB at all sports. I will be cheering for England and GB this summer but only from my armchair or the Pub. Nothing will stop me going to Hillsborough to watch my beloved Owls.

Edited by shandypants

Club every single day of the week.

I think I'd rather support an independent Yorkshire national team rather than England.

To be honest, I did used to take a lot more interest in England when I was younger but for reasons many have put down I've lost interest almost completely in England.

I'll still watch them on TV in major tournaments (if I'm not busy) but I'm not extatic when they win or gutted when they lose like with Wednesday

You watch- If we win it there will bbe loas of people banging on about England til they die whereas they're not actually bothered.

England til I die

It's by no means been a perfectly polished showing from England so far, be this current crop of players appear to have got the hunger and passion many of us have been craving gor the lasy decade or so.

All players sung the national anthem each time. Even Rooney attempted to sing it..... Even if he didn't know the words.

I'm happy with the current performances and as long as they don't bow out without a wimper I think we could call this tournament (as it stands) a minor success.

What do you think?

Club for me still.

But, I must say this squads attitude, as a possible reflection of the manager has been a pleasure to be 'involved' in.

I dislike John Terry - but he has been brilliant. So fair play to him.

Save to say that I didn't give a throw about them before this tournament, but, I didn't want them to lose particularly.

I wish them well on Sunday - I will be watching.

(might even cheer if we win).

lol

It's by no means been a perfectly polished showing from England so far, be this current crop of players appear to have got the hunger and passion many of us have been craving gor the lasy decade or so.

All players sung the national anthem each time. Even Rooney attempted to sing it..... Even if he didn't know the words.

I'm happy with the current performances and as long as they don't bow out without a wimper I think we could call this tournament (as it stands) a minor success.

What do you think?

To be honest, just getting to the Quarter Finals has far exceeded my expectations. I'm happy to say they've proven me wrong. We haven't got the best team by a long shot and certainly haven't played pretty football, but they've played well as a team for the most part and have proved resilient.

What ever happens now (barring a massive thumping against Italy) England can consider this tournament a success IMO