Club or Country?

Guest Thurgowland

Cheers Hootie, just summed it up perfectly there and saved me the effort in explaining why Wednesday have loads more kudos than England.

Ofcourse I still want England to do well, just can't see it happening tbh. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

To me anything above Waterlooville is northern, so all England matches are "up north".

How can you say England is a southern team when it plays at Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester etc? It's like if Plymouth had to ground share with Carlisle until their ground was rebuilt. Would they be a southern club then?

To be fair though - that was a 6 year period. How many England games have been played outside of London at other times?

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

To be fair though - that was a 6 year period. How many England games have been played outside of London at other times?

Who cares? The English national team have always played in the nation of England's capital city. It's still in ENGLAND. Just because the national stadium is a few hours away from us doesn't make it any less OUR national team.

How many Rotherham fans do you think refused to go to home games because they played at DVS?

Who cares? The English national team have always played in the nation of England's capital city. It's still in ENGLAND. Just because the national stadium is a few hours away from us doesn't make it any less OUR national team.

How many Rotherham fans do you think refused to go to home games because they played at DVS?

Who cares? Judging by this thread - quite a few.

Quite simply - Playing matches exclusively at Wembley disenfranchises sections of the potential fanbase. Yes, there's a generation growing up who got to see them in Manchester, Leeds etc. But that's already a distant memory.

And I really don't get your comparison with Rotherham (a 20 minute bus ride from DVS). That's just absurd.

I can understand your England passion - so why can't you understand that some people don't share it?

Different strokes and all that.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Guest Jackie Moon

Long time reader. First time poster etc etc.

If I had to choose one over the other, it would be club for me. I would prefer to see Wednesday win the Premiership than England win the Euros.

That being said I don't have to choose and I am passionate about the England team. I can understand why some may feel a little disillusioned with the whole national set up. We've had poor preparation for the Euros with the whole Terry-Ferdinand debacle and left the managerial appointment until the last minute, along with having a sour taste left over from the poor show in 2010 and Rooney mouthing off to the cameras. All these things build up but I still want England to win and certainly won't be supporting France/Italy etc.

Let's not forget, up until recently, England would have been represented by a fellow Wednesday fan at the Championships.

UTO.

Guest Bedders

So Lionel Messi is a shit player as well?

I'd say Cole had a major dip in form at the front end of the season but came back strongly at the end to be back to his best and capped it by playing majestically in the Champions League final

For me he is the best left back in the world and has been for 8 years or more.

And i didn't read that in The Sun - i don't let the papers make my opinions for me

You've got to be joking right? If you said left wing-back I might have agreed but best left back in the world.....well we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

Depends I suppose if you are talking as a club player or international player?

.....and yes Lionel Messi is a great player no argument but for all his goals he won no title & no champions league this year.....It's a TEAM game!!!! (Not an individual one.....it's all about the sum of the parts!)

Edited by Bedders

Who cares? Judging by this thread - quite a few.

Quite simply - Playing matches exclusively at Wembley disenfranchises sections of the potential fanbase. Yes, there's a generation growing up who got to see them in Manchester, Leeds etc. But that's already a distant memory.

And I really don't get your comparison with Rotherham (a 20 minute bus ride from DVS). That's just absurd.

I can understand your England passion - so why can't you understand that some people don't share it?

Different strokes and all that.

I don't understand it because wherever you're from around this country- north, south, east or west, you're still from England.

My point is that growing up I always knew that my heores of the national team always played their home matches a few hours away from me. My club heroes played a few hours further north than that!

OK the Rotherham comparison wasn't great, but the fact of the matter is that England have always played their home games at a national stadium in the capital of the nation. I can't stand London, or for the most part Londoners, but that wouldn't put me off the passion I have for my national team.

You've got to be joking right? If you said left wing-back I might have agreed but best left back in the world.....well we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

Depends I suppose if you are talking as a club player or international player?

.....and yes Lionel Messi is a great player no argument but for all his goals he won no title & no champions league this year.....It's a TEAM game!!!! (Not an individual one.....it's all about the sum of the parts!)

I know its a team game - its you that wanted to compare trophies with Cole and Capdevilla - which is why comparisons are useless about who wins what on an individual basis

And you'll struggle to find many people that don't rate Cole as a player - defensively he is superb and he's never been a wing back so i don't know how you can judge him as one.

Best left back in world football and has been for years

I don't understand it because wherever you're from around this country- north, south, east or west, you're still from England.

My point is that growing up I always knew that my heores of the national team always played their home matches a few hours away from me. My club heroes played a few hours further north than that!

OK the Rotherham comparison wasn't great, but the fact of the matter is that England have always played their home games at a national stadium in the capital of the nation. I can't stand London, or for the most part Londoners, but that wouldn't put me off the passion I have for my national team.

you're one curious dude!

castigating everybody for not supporting England yet you state you detest a good part of the country's population

you're one curious dude!

castigating everybody for not supporting England yet you state you detest a good part of the country's population

Where did I say I detest anything? I won't lie to you, I hate going to London, but the history there is sonething to be proud of.

Where did I say I detest anything? I won't lie to you, I hate going to London, but the history there is sonething to be proud of.

You didn't

i quoted the wrong post cos i was watching the footy and not concentrating

Apologies

Btw i absolutely love going to London - one of the worlds greatest cities in one of the words greatest countries

Perfect!

Edited by scram

Guest sotonowl

Being proud of where you are from isn't even close to disgusting.

wud be if ur from pompey though,its a sh-thole of extreme proportions

Guest foreverSWFC

I'm as England as the next man but Ashley Cole ISN'T the best left back in the world! That's the sort of garbage the Sun newspaper peddles out & it's disciples believe......right up until utter disappointment in major tournaments!

Without even thinking very hard I'd say Joan Capdevila is better........one world cup & one Euro.....remind me what Ashley Cole has won for his country?

Capdevilla is nowhere near the best left back in the world, may have won tournaments, but by that theory you are saying Messi and Ronaldo are awful players. Is Capdevilla even in the Euro squad for Spain?

I'm not a big England fan, but I can't think of a better left back than Cole, and I don't read the Sun and don't listen to their opinions.