OFFICIAL - Joe Mattock Signs

This is what leads me to belive there is nothing in the Roberts rumor, as he is also a free wouldn't we have snatched him up by now if there was?

I'm not sure about that. If Roberts knows we're interested, he might be waiting for us. If we know we're his preferred option, there's no rush and we might unearth a better alternative

I`m prepared to judje the kid on his footballing ability all the same mate,not what he gets upto in his own time,couldn`t give a flying **** what he`s like off the pitch as long as its of no detriment to the club,cracking signing for a freebie imo.

Watching that video of him online smacking a bird does worry me. I wouldnt want joey barton or marlon king at the club cos theyre scumbags and the club can do better. Can you really turn a blind eye to anything? And where is the line?

Guest domSWFC

Watching that video of him online smacking a bird does worry me. I wouldnt want joey barton or marlon king at the club cos theyre scumbags and the club can do better. Can you really turn a blind eye to anything? And where is the line?

I agree, some people might say he was young at the time and he's matured now. But I didn't go round smacking women in the face at that age and I'm sure others on here didn't either. Yes, we may have got a good deal for a good player, but is it the type of player you want your kids to have their name on their shirt?

Not seen him recently , but saw him play a couple of times for WBA and once for England U 19,s , and on that evidence i think DJ may well have played a blinder here.

In the games i saw him he was a very attack minded player who was very comfortable on the ball.........................occasionally got caught too far forward but thats a common trait in young full backs.

A sensible blunt friend of mine ( yes there are a few ) told me yesterday that while he was at the stain he obviously looked rusty but it was clear to see that he had a lot of potential.

A potentially cracking signing , and at the very LEAST a big improvement on D Jones , Reynolds and Bennett.

I agree, a line has to be drawn somewhere, he has been punished and I hope he has learned his lesson. I also think that DJ ability as a counsellor/mentor is a positive factor and Mattock certainly has made a good choice. Let's hope he now kicks on and we have pulled a rabbit out of the hat here.

Guest pops55

Serious question: how quickly was the Mattock deal done? I've seen nothing to suggest it was not being negotiated for weeks before we heard anything. Do we really have any idea how long it took? The Gardner deal has clearly been held up by something, but, no idea what. As for Roberts that may still be under negotiation, who knows.

I think the poster meant how quickly it was completed after the press got wind of it.

He didn't have a great time at West Brom but he still managed nearly 40 games for them. He's 22 and has played well over 100 games at this level and above. That bodes pretty well.

You've also got to see it as a bit of a coup that we've managed to bring in someone so young on a free transfer. Especially someone who went for a million a few years back.

The Brighton fans feedback is also very encouraging. You've got to judge him by his recent performances at this level and they seem very strong. Furthermore with a full season behind him he's going to be a good player. You'd hope we've signed two strong full backs to offer genuine competition for places. They are both quite attacking too which sums up how we will play next season. Exciting times.

I think we now need the following:

2 cb's (Gardner + another) Jones will potentially be sold.

3/4 Wingers (JJ could be one and then we need 2 left wingers and another right winger). Mike Jones will be sold.

1 Creative midfielder (Prutton will be moved on which leaves us with Semedo, Lines and Coke. I think Coke will be given a chance)

2 Strikers (O Grady will be sold and we'll bring in another 2 strikers.)

I still think we may need another central midfielder but I think we'll go with what I said. I'd be surprised if we didnt sign that amount of players. I also think Bennett will go. Dan Jones is a better prospect in my opinion.

I think we'll tie up a few more free transfers, then mid July we'll seal some paid transfers and close to the start of the season we'll be looking at Season long loans for some quality youngsters.

Things are coming together nicely.

If we sign that many players, I will have to buy a programme for the first match so that I can identify them as we could potentially field a completely different team to the one that finished last season.

If we sign that many players, I will have to buy a programme for the first match so that I can identify them as we could potentially field a completely different team to the one that finished last season.

Better get that programme money out buddy lol

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-defender-joe-mattock-signing-welcomed-by-owls-boss-dave-jones-1-4630005

Guest DLHBin

May well give it a read. Interesting some fans of previous clubs said he wasn't that passionate / bit reserved and was a manager who was hard to have a real affinity with. Not been case for us. Obviously, the end of season form and promotion helped but I like his character (needed a lot to deal with past) and also his professionalism - just no nonsense and seems a really genuine guy. Clearly most important thing is he's a damn good manager, which he's proving himself to be.

I was really imoressed with Jones at the fans forum at the end of March. He did speak passionately about the pride he takes is his job, he seemed to understand how much the club means to the fans, plus he managed to inject some humour into the evening too. He was a lot more open (as was MM) to 300 genuine fans than he is to RS, but even then he said that no names would be released until their contract was signed. Dont think we will challenge for promotion next season, however with a few more decent signings like these, I will be confident of a top half finish. Really excitied for next season!

Hahahaha...... they don't,

1. Their inflated support this season will die away once the novelty of their new stadium and championship football wears off. Then they will see the meaning of 'plastic support'

could be so

but depends on the club

Cardiff City had an average support of 3,000 - 20 odd years ago

it's about attracting and keeping fans

Edited by Davidioso