OFFICIAL - Joe Mattock Signs

Guest foreverSWFC

Poor signing that, poor quality. Not impressed. Waste of a wage that could be used elsewhere. Injury prone and a bad attitude.

Don't know whether you are being sarcastic or not.

But my original thoughts were similar to yours, but you've got to trust DJ, he knows EXACTLY what he is doing, it would take a brave man to challenge him IMO. Also Brighton fans raved about him last season, a team who finished top half Championship, so we may have signed a real good player.

He did an interview on Wednesday player and he said it irritates him when people say he is not passionate, because he really is. I think he is a very proffessional manager and does his business the way he wants to do it. More reserved than Megson, won't say much but will quietly and confidently do a good job. Milan made one heck of a decision, and i think we've easily got one of the best managers in the Championship.

There aren't many poor managers in the Championship these days. Last season the media made a big deal about how strong managers were, citing Eriksson and McClaren, who turned out to be two of the weakest. Looks stronger this season to me. Will need to use all of his nous to get us where we want to be.

On him being more reserved, think I heard him say in one interview, you need different sort of people at club and said Terry/Neil do ranting and raving (when needs be). Is Neil Thompson still at the club, do you know? Interesting the style changed but he stayed. Not saying one coach can't coach two different systems but just found it surprising.

Edited by Juror8

Poor signing that, poor quality. Not impressed. Waste of a wage that could be used elsewhere. Injury prone and a bad attitude.

Aren't you signing Ben Parker from Leeds. 7 operations in 2 years. Thought you would have learned your lesson after Taylor. Get your own house in order before worrying about us.

FFS, you just don't get it.

It's a joke, the whole MASSIVE thing was said tongue in cheek, alot of Wednesday players said it in interviews and Owlstalk picked up on it, we used it to wind the blunts up as they didn't understand the joke, *** was succesful, they retaliated, we used it some more and it has grown from there.

We aren't really an arrogant, deluded fanbase, it's just a bit of a laugh.

I'd agree for the most part, I started a thread on Owlsmad called "500 reasons to be MASSIVE", it reached 500 posts no problem, we took the p1ss out of ourselves over the MASSIVE thing & the Blades hated it BUT, there ARE a minority of Owls that actually believe this crap, they are fkin deluded, I hate it when some of us give it a large over attendances etc etc, we're nothing special, most of us realise this, others unfortunately remain deluded.

We should keep this MASSIVE joke for the Blades & stop bigging ourselves up to the fans of clubs like Brighton.

Happy with all the signings so far and it makes sense concentrating on free transfers first.

There's a limited number of championship quality players out there, looking for new clubs. We seem to be attracting some of the best.

Could that be because of the grilling Paul Walker gave Dave Jones at his initial press conference, from what I heard, Mister Walker really went for the throat.

Walker waded into MM iirc, DJ was present

what goes around and all that

Yes, as I stated in a post yesterday, DJ doesnt like local media after the McPhail incident at Cardiff, then in his first press conference Walker & Co were grilling Mandaric, so together theyve probably decided that the local media will be last to get the scoop.

Sky Sports were reporting this long before Staton/Walker had a clue.

People asking about the DJ book, fantastic read and a very funny story regarding Mick Lyons. lol.

As for the squad, we seem to be building from the back, and with one more CB addition (Gardner??) then thats the Gk/DF well and truely sorted.

We still need 3 wingers, and a ball playing midfielder. (Antonio, Treacy, Norwood/McDonald/Murphy???)

And we could do with 2 more strikers to support Madine/Lowe, as it appears O'Grady is offski.

Maguire is believed to be one, and id like a young, quick prem striker on loan, something to prove, and abit of an unknown quantity.

But the squad now has 5/6 left backs on the books so we could really do with offloading some pronto.

Perhaps add Roberts to the squad as a back up winger aswell, free transfer, be rude not too. I no we were linked at some point.

If DJ wanted Roberts he'd be signed up by now. Look at how fast (relatively) the Mattock deal was done. Something makes me think the Gardener deal is dragging on over assurances that he'll play enough games, something in his contract like play-as-you-play, or contract increase after so many games perhaps.

But in my opinion there is nothing in the Roberts rumor.

3 free signings so far and there all crackers. really hope we land gardener, mcguire, antonio, treacy and another striker and we'll have got a good squad tochallenge for the play offs i think!

It's vital we get a quality central midfielder, then I would agree with you.

If DJ wanted Roberts he'd be signed up by now. Look at how fast (relatively) the Mattock deal was done. Something makes me think the Gardener deal is dragging on over assurances that he'll play enough games, something in his contract like play-as-you-play, or contract increase after so many games perhaps.

But in my opinion there is nothing in the Roberts rumor.

Serious question: how quickly was the Mattock deal done? I've seen nothing to suggest it was not being negotiated for weeks before we heard anything. Do we really have any idea how long it took? The Gardner deal has clearly been held up by something, but, no idea what. As for Roberts that may still be under negotiation, who knows.

Serious question: how quickly was the Mattock deal done? I've seen nothing to suggest it was not being negotiated for weeks before we heard anything. Do we really have any idea how long it took? The Gardner deal has clearly been held up by something, but, no idea what. As for Roberts that may still be under negotiation, who knows.

Well given that Kirkland was announced out of the blue before most TV/paper talk, and given that Mattock was done two days after the first rumor - I think they were done quite quickly - both were free's and both came almost out of the blue.

This is what leads me to belive there is nothing in the Roberts rumor, as he is also a free wouldn't we have snatched him up by now if there was?

Well given that Kirkland was announced out of the blue before most TV/paper talk, and given that Mattock was done two days after the first rumor - I think they were done quite quickly - both were free's and both came almost out of the blue.

This is what leads me to belive there is nothing in the Roberts rumor, as he is also a free wouldn't we have snatched him up by now if there was?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Damn! If only I was ITK.

It all depends how tight the ship is around potential signings.

He didn't have a great time at West Brom but he still managed nearly 40 games for them. He's 22 and has played well over 100 games at this level and above. That bodes pretty well.

You've also got to see it as a bit of a coup that we've managed to bring in someone so young on a free transfer. Especially someone who went for a million a few years back.

The Brighton fans feedback is also very encouraging. You've got to judge him by his recent performances at this level and they seem very strong. Furthermore with a full season behind him he's going to be a good player. You'd hope we've signed two strong full backs to offer genuine competition for places. They are both quite attacking too which sums up how we will play next season. Exciting times.

I think we now need the following:

2 cb's (Gardner + another) Jones will potentially be sold.

3/4 Wingers (JJ could be one and then we need 2 left wingers and another right winger). Mike Jones will be sold.

1 Creative midfielder (Prutton will be moved on which leaves us with Semedo, Lines and Coke. I think Coke will be given a chance)

2 Strikers (O Grady will be sold and we'll bring in another 2 strikers.)

I still think we may need another central midfielder but I think we'll go with what I said. I'd be surprised if we didnt sign that amount of players. I also think Bennett will go. Dan Jones is a better prospect in my opinion.

I think we'll tie up a few more free transfers, then mid July we'll seal some paid transfers and close to the start of the season we'll be looking at Season long loans for some quality youngsters.

Things are coming together nicely.