Mark Reynolds

Guest wilyfox

Megson isn't here now.

obviously, but his ability to assess a player must surely be of value. he claimed Tavernier was best suited to a more advanced role - to which most agreed; but people seem adamant he was wrong regarding Reynolds.

obviously, but his ability to assess a player must surely be of value. he claimed Tavernier was best suited to a more advanced role - to which most agreed; but people seem adamant he was wrong regarding Reynolds.

You've seen him play at left back though - was he right then about Reynolds?

Do you think he's even worse at centre back?

Edited by DamnedOwl

Maybe Megson didn't want Reynolds at centreback because he isn't 7 feet tall. I think Jones might be more open to regular sized central defenders.

I honestly can't see him getting game time.

We've got Llera, Beevers, R. Jones and Reda. Plus, we're after another centre back or two (Gardner, Batth, O'Dea etc.)

I hope we don't see him at left back though. I'm still having nightmares about his performance at Dagenham.

The word horrendous doesn't even do that performance justice.

Guest Sniper1

The way Dave Jones sets up his teams our fullbacks need to be comfortable on the ball and decent going forward.

This is why Reynolds will struggle at left back with us.

i think he should be given a chance at centre half with Llera, as he's a different option. People argue that having two players up top doing a similar job offers no variation, then why cant the same apply for centre half like it does in centre midfield? It's not too common for a team to play two big strong lads up top, there's usually a poacher or a whippet to compliment the power. Who out of Llera, Jones or Beevers is going to chase after Mackail-Smith when we play Brighton, Wright-Phillips at charlton, Ince/Matt Phillips at blackpool? A bit of pace at centre half gives us the chance to push up just that little bit more too, meaning there's less gap between defence and midfield, which makes it harder for your kevin phillips, dobbie, (my knowledge of first XI's in the championship isnt top notch) but i hope you get my point

Don't think he really was given a chance. At first, he was chucked into a brand new defence (with Morrison and Reda) who all obviously had no idea what the hell was going on. This coupled with the atmosphere round the place at that time meant it was always going to be tough, especially when he was playing out of position at LB. Then when Megson arrived, it was plain to see he wanted his defenders to be man mountains (not saying this was wrong - it served us well), but he clearly had no desire to play a defender who relied more on pace and reading the game than on being a brute.

Wednesday fans have a tremendous habit of writing players off based on their starts they make with us. First impressions seem to last forever. If I remember rightly, the one game Reynolds did play CB at S6 he had a stormer. I'm all for him coming back down and trying to earn a place in Jones' plans. He is one of the few that hasn't had a fair crack of the whip with either Irvine or Megson, and he came here with a fantastic reputation. This isn't lost overnight. Lets see how he gets on in pre-season. I'd certainly say he would be more adept for Championship football than Rob Jones for example.

Edited by blueandwhitematt

The way Dave Jones sets up his teams our fullbacks need to be comfortable on the ball and decent going forward.

This is why Reynolds will struggle at left back with us.

All the more surprising that Beevers has been used in that position.

Guest Big Guns

Madine- Top goalscorer

Reda- Fan favourite, been one of best players this season

Morrison- Didn't work for him at Wednesday but has been a vital part of a Charlton side who are Champions, behind Batth best defender in league One last season

Reynolds- Who knows? Struggled so far to break in, but can be a good player, we all wrote Reda and Morrison of, look how well they did. Give him a chance.

So tbh irvine actually bought in some good players in January 2011, unfortunately he didn't know what to do with them.

Madine. At that time was developing

Reda was awful and still is a square hole in a round peg

Morrisons absolute dire and was rightly shipped our probably losing money on him

Reynolds ,shown nothing sent on loan probably costing us money

If megson had been backed as well we might have Ben Marshall now

If Dave Jones did we might already have Antonio

Irvines had the most amount of money to spend and fooked it up ...

Madine- Top goalscorer

Reda- Fan favourite, been one of best players this season

Morrison- Didn't work for him at Wednesday but has been a vital part of a Charlton side who are Champions, behind Batth best defender in league One last season

Reynolds- Who knows? Struggled so far to break in, but can be a good player, we all wrote Reda and Morrison of, look how well they did. Give him a chance.

So tbh irvine actually bought in some good players in January 2011, unfortunately he didn't know what to do with them.

Reda was slow, lazy and out of position a lot last season. Working under Megson has changed him into a new player. When Reda played last season I used to cover my eyes and it was that painful to watch.

Megson takes full credit for nurturing him into a left back.

I honestly can't see him getting game time.

We've got Llera, Beevers, R. Jones and Reda. Plus, we're after another centre back or two (Gardner, Batth, O'Dea etc.)

I hope we don't see him at left back though. I'm still having nightmares about his performance at Dagenham.

The word horrendous doesn't even do that performance justice.

I thought he did ok in the league bus game against Blackpool. He seemed to keep Ince and Matt Phillips pretty quite. Tbh like most Wednesday fans I haven't really seen that much of him.

Guest wilyfox

You've seen him play at left back though - was he right then about Reynolds?

Do you think he's even worse at centre back?

i'm not convinced by Reynolds in either position tbh. his speed and mobility suggest he could get up and down the left side very well, but when played at LB he seems to offer nothing going forward. at CB, i feel he's a bit light-weight - and we did ship goals when he first joined; that said, Irvine did throw Reynolds, Reda and Morrison in the deep end and hoped for the best.

Maybe Megson didn't want Reynolds at centreback because he isn't 7 feet tall. I think Jones might be more open to regular sized central defenders.

his overall stature concerns me; not just his height - although 5'11" isn't very tall for a CB. being 10 stone 9lbs is light-weight for the position. i'd worry about him being out-muscled. his pace in the middle would be an asset - but i'm not sure it's enough to compensate for a lack of height and strength.

his overall stature concerns me; not just his height - although 5'11" isn't very tall for a CB. being 10 stone 9lbs is light-weight for the position. i'd worry about him being out-muscled. his pace in the middle would be an asset - but i'm not sure it's enough to compensate for a lack of height and strength.

I'd rather just see him given a chance in the position than make assumptions based on his vitals.

If being tall and a certain weight was all you needed to be a championship centreback then I'm sure it wouldn't be quite as well paid.

Part of it is courses for horses too - I'd rather have pace than height against a nippy little poacher.

You may as well be describing Des Walker.

Nice comments from him and appreciate him wanting to try and get into the team, but I just don't think he's good enough.

Good luck to him though.

I think he could do a job in his best position, in the centre of defence, if given a run at it. Sadly however, he's way down the pecking order.

He isn't a typical central defender either and that's a hitch. Most managers prefer two big lads. Reynolds isn't that tall and is the type of defender who relies on seeing things happening around him, then nipping in to make a tackle or clearance to tidy things up. Doesn't really fit in with most managers' vision for a centre back. Might be ok in a sweeper role if we ever decide to play with a sweeper type.

Part of an article taken from Wishaw Press website...

The defender– who weds fiancée Laura this weekend – will head back down south for pre-season training with newly-promoted Championship side Sheffield Wednesday later this month, keen to make an impression on the former Cardiff City boss Dave Jones who replaced gary megson in the Hillsborough hot-seat in March.

However, he has refused to rule out a return to Fir Park in years to come.

He said: “You never know where your future lies, you just need to take it a year at a time. I’ll go back down south and see what happens and see where my career goes from there.

“I want to just try and force myself into the team. Obviously we’ve been promoted to the Championship and there’s a new manager come in, but I’ll go down for pre-season and take it from there.

“The whole reason I signed for Sheffield Wednesday was because of the size of the club and because they were always going to be in the Championship sooner rather than later. If you look at Sheffield Wednesday; they were a MASSIVE club in League One and will still be a MASSIVE club in the Championship, holding their own even with the teams that have just been relegated from the Premiership in terms of fanbase. It’s a great club to go and make your name at.”

Nice to see he recognises the fact we are MASSIVE!

http://www.wishawpre...76495-31118820/

HA! For a minute there I thought we were setting up some kind of pre-season camp on the coast.