Mexborough Owl

Guest OneSimonGarner

Guest intercity0wl

onesimon we're still tryin for ya mate, tryin to locate a "shonna" holmes who maybe around your dads age if not older now. will try to be a.s.a.p.

Saw shonna notthat long since walking by the Miner Arms at Mexborough, He used to go to games with Blind Stewart from Old Denaby on Billies Buses, sure he is from the Windhill area of town, if ya have no luck let us know, as im sure i would know somebod who knows exactly where he is..

Guest intercity0wl

yogi, he were thinkin it was pete beardsley who came over for wycombe game, pop said he lives in torrevieja, but i know who you are! sure there was you, steve frost and a lad who's name escapes me for minute but i can still see his face now, you all went everywhere together watchin wednesday. the .last time i saw you and steve were in ferryboat 20 yr since. our lot that went were dave n dan mccarthy,tess platek, tiff griffin, dobbie,etc. will tell pop its you .all the best yogi. nice to know your well. enjoy your brandy mate!

Bloody hell some names from the past there, sure i saw pop and Dan chattting in Mexboro weatherspoons not long since.

Edited by intercity0wl

Saw shonna notthat long since walking by the Miner Arms at Mexborough, He used to go to games with Blind Stewart from Old Denaby on Billies Buses, sure he is from the Windhill area of town, if ya have no luck let us know, as im sure i would know somebod who knows exactly where he is..

blind stewart must be spud dukes .....i knew spud before his accident, hadnt seen him for about 20 years and then bumped into him about 10 years ago in ferryboat and said hey up spud how yer doing and he was strait back with hey up yogi are tha still grow in .(im quite tall ) .as for shonna we used to go to matches together in the 70s and he's another i havnt seen for the 30 years but i would bet me last quid that if i saw him tomorrow he'd be wearing his flat cap .....

Edited by torryowl

Guest intercity0wl

shonna used to crack me up, very dry humour, always smiling, must be 20 plus years since i saw him.

A very dry sense of humour, i have asked a mate from up Windhill to do a bit of digging, he used to go to games with Dave Venables who i sometimes see walking by me at games. Trouble with trying to find people now is that most of the pubs you knew they used to frequent in town have shut down, would only take a couple of minutes if places like the Northgate WMC were still open.

Guest intercity0wl

northgate! spot on, lets bring mickey's monkey's and bitter suite back! top turns and where we used to plan wednesday trips. ........happy days......

Bloody hell, used to be in the place every weekend, Mickey Monkeys, Ohara's Playboys, Drifting Agony, Axis, the list is endless, also used to have who i consider to be one of the Best concert chairman of thaat era, in the late Reggie Ruecroft, Also used to drink with Pop Wilson in the Dog Daisy when i lived up thast end of town.

I used to be a regular in the Sportsman from around 75 and travelled with the supporters club based there when Tex Dunn used to be one off the guys that ran it, and Danny Mcarthys parents lived two doors up from me, his mother Muriel still does i think, lovelly lady.

Anyway better stop hijacking the thread with reminising, the search for Shonna goes on.

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

didnt know northgate was closed , shame coz it was the best wmc in mex in the 70s and certainly remember bitter suite selling out everytime they were on .

One of Many to have gone im afraid, along with the Hope, catholic, Brickyard, Red lion, and who would have ever thought the Plant and the Miners would be closed, it was always packed when Ken and Florence Pailing had it, even though it was the headquarters of branch of the Leeds supporters club.

Heard from a very good source that the Main Street wont be long , leaving only the Concertina left as a club in town.

Edited by intercity0wl

One of Many to have gone im afraid, along with the Hope, catholic, Brickyard, Red lion, and who would have ever thought the Plant and the Miners would be closed, it was always packed when Ken and Florence Pailing had it, even though it was the headquarters of branch of the Leeds supporters club.

Heard from a very good source that the Main Street wont be long , leaving only the Concertina left as a club in town.

florence pailing now there was a landlady ......

Guest intercity0wl

Was talking to her not that long since down Mexborough, she spends most of the time abroad now, but said she had kept a house in the town, and was just paying a visit to tie a few odds and ends up after Kens Death, Funnily enough my Partner also knew her as she used to work for her at a club in Royston Barnsley, think she said it was called the wallace arnold club.

And as for crofty, well what can i say, i used to have a natter with him on a regular basis near the Star boozer, as you say there were not many pubs in town he was allowed in before his illness ment he didn't get get out much anyway, he would sometimes go to away matches with Mexborough Town but would always spend the game in a pub after being thrown out of most gounds they visited.

Its a real shame most of these pubs and characters are no longer about, the place is much poorer without them.

Ps Torry is it you who is known and always has been known as Yogi ?

Edited by intercity0wl

crofty! new him really well, fed and watered him many a time! great character, remember when he tattooed owls on his forehead, but he were pissed when he did it looking in mirror and it came out as owsl! Funny fella, never a dull moment, but not a bad bone in his body

Edited by luthervanmac

Was talking to her not that long since down Mexborough, she spends most of the time abroad now, but said she had kept a house in the town, and was just paying a visit to tie a few odds and ends up after Kens Death, Funnily enough my Partner also knew her as she used to work for her at a club in Royston Barnsley, think she said it was called the wallace arnold club.

And as for crofty, well what can i say, i used to have a natter with him on a regular basis near the Star boozer, as you say there were not many pubs in town he was allowed in before his illness ment he didn't get get out much anyway, he would sometimes go to away matches with Mexborough Town but would always spend the game in a pub after being thrown out of most gounds they visited.

Its a real shame most of these pubs and characters are no longer about, the place is much poorer without them.

Ps Torry is it you who is known and always has been known as Yogi ?

was always known as yogi in mex but i do have a younger brother who still lives there and he's also known as yogi ......

crofty! new him really well, fed and watered him many a time! great character, remember when he tattooed owls on his forehead, but he were pissed when he did it looking in mirror and it came out as owsl! Funny fella, never a dull moment, but not a bad bone in his body

thats a great story .....i think i can place you now ,were you a bit of a les mckeown look-a-like in yer younger days ......i'll be over probably in oct for a couple of games and i'm always in wetherspoons so if you and pop are about lets us know .

Guest intercity0wl

[

Sorted mate one simon been over to mexborough, been p.m him. thanks anyway.

Glad to here, I will probably bump into him tomorrow myself now.now