George Courtney - Referee... remember him ?

Guest normski

I use to hate him, still do little Tw@t!!

Thought he had joined the pope when I saw the thread!! Ah well lol

Up the owls

I use to hate him, still do little Tw@t!!

Thought he had joined the pope when I saw the thread!! Ah well lol

Up the owls

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

I don't like using the word hate, but as a younger fan I hated Courtney with a passion. He reminded me of a little hitler, and always seem to have it in for us. Suffices to say, I have mellowed with age.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Guest intercity0wl

Roger Kirkpatrick, My favourite referee in all my Footy watching days, nicknamed Mr Pickwick he could run faster Backwards than any winger was going forwards.

post-12412-0-71142700-1337331231_thumb.j

Edited by intercity0wl

Roger Milford.

_1761606_rogermilford300.jpg

But forget that a minute......look at that yellow kit!!

God yeah, I remember him. Courtney liked being the centre of attention by showing he was in charge no matter what, but Milford used to ponce around like he really fancied himself and thought everybody used to think he was great.

Remember Clive Thomas? He was another 'I'm the boss so up yours' type, infamous for disallowing a Brazil goal in the 1978 World Cup by blowing the final whistle just before a corner was headed in.

I know he was the original 'ref to hate' but my only memory of him was at villa park where he gave us that Jemson goal to win the game. Best bit was Les Sealey going ballistic right in front of us.

It was the linesman who gave the goal, Courtney would never have given us anything!

I was at that game, in a perfect position at the side of the goal to see that there was no doubt whatsoever that it was over the line. Sealey went bananas though, then seethed through the rest of the game before going berserk again at Courtney at full time. Typical Courtney though, because although he'd booked several Wednesday players in the match for practically nothing including at least one for mild dissent, in a typical anti-SWFC performance, when Sealey went apeshit at him and had to be restrained from probably assaulting him he just stood there and took no action whatsoever.

More of a Keith Hacket man myself.

I remember that goal that Forest player scored running back from the byline to head the ball out of Dave Beasant's? hand to score and George Courtney being interviewed about it saying he would have disallowed it as it was 'against the spirit of the game'.

Perfectly legitimate goal but he would have disallowed it because he was bigger than the rules.

Funny, I've heard others just as certain it wasn't.

Suppose it depends where you were sat. From the TV pictures you can't tell because Sealey's body was in the way but it does seem probable that it's over.

I was behind the goal fairly near the front, on the other side of the goal from the TV perspective so I could see the ball and it was definitely over.