Victor Says 6/1 to go up again.

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

By Victor Chandler

Published on Thursday 10 May 2012 07:08

BOOKMAKERS have high expectations of Wednesday winning promotion from the Championship next year.

With Norwich and Southampton having recently gone straight through the division after leaving League One, the Owls are 25/1 to win the Championship title next season and 6/1 to go up.

Bookies are not alone in being optimistic about the club’s future, with chairman Milan Mandaric also setting his sights on reaching the top flight as soon as possible, and believing that is where the club belong.

Wednesday have proved right the tipsters who last summer installed them as second favourites for this season’s League One title: they finished runners-up, to Charlton

16/1 with Skybet to win the league, no price for promotion but will no doubt be shorter than 6s, a bit skinny IMO

It's great that they think that highly of us but it really is shocking value. No doubt they will shorten further when we sign some players too. We are the same odds as Blackburn who despite the turmoil have some good Premier League players, and we are shorter than Middlesborough who only just missed out on the playoffs.

Guest intercity0wl

It's great that they think that highly of us but it really is shocking value. No doubt they will shorten further when we sign some players too. We are the same odds as Blackburn who despite the turmoil have some good Premier League players, and we are shorter than Middlesborough who only just missed out on the playoffs.

Should have added when i posted the link that i also think its terrible value, as is the 251 to actually win the thing.

Guest intercity0wl

I wonder what the odds for a top 6 finish will be?

Mmm i wonder, hope its another case of them being right though.

Ronnie says Victor can go shove his odds where the sun don't shine and recommends Owlstalkers choose an alternative bookie.

Unbelievably those are currently the best odds available. Stan James and Skybet both have us at 16/1 to win the title!

Mmm i wonder, hope its another case of them being right though.

I hope so Kev. We do have a lot of things in our favour but it's still a big ask. We have momentum, some good players, the best support in the division, but a lot of our players don't have Championship experience and we're very light in quality in some areas. I think top 6 is achievable but it would take an amazing effort. Southampton had already spent millions in League 1.

As others have said, the odds aren't calculated purely on what the bookies think will happen.

Due to the size of our fanbase, it's likely more money will be put on us than a lot of other teams. Added to that what Norwich and Southampton have done in the last couple of years, I suspect this is just the bookies covering themselves.

Guest BoomTownOwls

6/1 is not tight at all.

They are basically saying we have a 1 in 7 chance of promotion.

1 in 8 Championship teams will get promoted.

On the basis that odds will be quite large for smaller clubs Peterborough, Millwall, Watford and Leeds I would expect us to be about 12th favourites which IMO is about right.

All four of the play off teams in Championship were shorter than 6/1 at the start of this season.

Victor clearly has been listen to too much hype and needs to lay off the booze. Bookies chaneg ther on on how much they may lose, they were never goingt o give us poor odds and they known with our fanbase if they said 20/1 loads would have stuck £10 on and they could have lost a fortune. So 6/1 is liek an insurance policy for them.

Victor could easily give us 20/1 and he wouldn't lose loads, as the season progressed he would lay off...or lay on. Trouble is that would cut his proffit margin. Hence, 6/1 depending on win/loss he may lay off / on, even at that price, depending on his book

Very much doubt you will get more than 9/1 for wednesday promotion with any bookie at the start of the season, I think 7/1 would be a fair price. I think there are only 10 teams with a realistic chance and wednesday's one of em