Paul Williams

Dont believe Bright was bought to replace him.

Do you mean in terms of timing or their respective styles of play? Because they swapped clubs as part of the same deal (I think it was something like a million quid plus the £750,000 rated Williams in exchange for Bright). They certainly weren't similar players.

1991/92 was my first season watching the Owls, so can someone explain to me why Paul Williams was let go in favour of Mark Bright. Don't get me wrong Mark Bright was a brilliant player for us but why not have Hirst,Bright and Williams?

Guest Barca Owl

Was one of the first transfers I remember the Williams and bright with some cash going there way. As I remember he was pacy and complimented hirst perfectly. He scored one of the first Swfc goals I saw live, a bullet header v Southampton that got me on the front page of the green un

As mentioned a very underrated player. I do remember an interview with BFR after we signed him, and he said he had consulted Hirsty about a replacement for Dalian Atkinson, to which Hirsty apparently replied that his perfect strike partner would be Williams as they had developed a great understanding at England U21 level. So it proved at Wednesday too! My favourite memory of PW; his flick on for Hirstys' goal against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the League Cup semi first leg!!! Enjoy:

Guest dave jones n.1

In 1991 when Hirst was injured Williams kept scoring to keep us in the promotion race, he was quality, love to have him now

Guest Fedor

Do you mean in terms of timing or their respective styles of play? Because they swapped clubs as part of the same deal (I think it was something like a million quid plus the £750,000 rated Williams in exchange for Bright). They certainly weren't similar players.

No I meant that when Hirst was out injured as was starting to happen, we had Williams and Watson who were both a bit lightweight and didnt look like scoring many goals. Bright was brought in primarily to partner Hirst but as a bigger stronger striker than the others in Hirst absence. Unfortunately Flash never turned out to be the player expected so would have been better keeping Williams

See this video 36:29 in Paul Williams puts wednesday in the league cup final against chelsea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CitWjrLBo&context=C49471bcADvjVQa1PpcFN0bsL2f-7VZsksuTbTRgLhsdx9oAzS80g

=

Under rated player indeed.

Just watched the whole of this...inspirational to say the least! What a crying shame Atkinson went....that really was some team he put together. Not one indiferent performance at wembley...but forgotten just what a game Pearson had...and Roland Nillson...what a fullback!

Saw myself in the crowd, forgotten I had a moustache then, mind you, about 80% of the crowd did!....also forgotten that save by Turner from McClair...class! and how young did Fergie look!

David Hirst had a strike partner (for those of you too young to remember) called Paul Williams

My memories of him were that he was small and light and fairly quick but also that he was very underrated

What do Owlstalkers remember about him?

David Hirst once told me 'Willo' was his best strike partner.

He certainly complimented Hirst very well in that first season but into the second it became increasingly obvious that he just didn't offer enough of a goal threat. Whenever he had a one-on-one he looked like he had no confidence that he would score, and his nervousness was well founded as he missed loads of them.

That sounds rather more harsh than it was intended to be as he most certainly played a big part in our promotion/cup double and there's no doubt he is someone who can look back on his time at the club with pride.

A very accurate post i think.

Great player for us...also lived on the street where I now live just around the corner from my childhood home in Stocksbridge. Can remember 'calling' for him and asking him if he fancied a kick about. He always had a very good excuse for not coming out with us (us being about 12 at the time). In hindsight understandable but he did once come out onto the street and had a quick game in the road!