Paul Williams

Paul Williams was a very good player, just a bit lightweight.

He got shoved off the ball too easily.

But, in today's game, where players cannot be bullied, so to speak, he would be excellent.

He would fit into today's game perfectly.

And the Realist is correct, he was nothing like Flash.

Can only echo what others have said - he was a great foil for Hirsty. He scored some bloody good goals from what I can remember and didn't get the credit he deserved - remember going mental when he scored a diving header at West Ham (even if he did head it into the ground and it looped over their keeper).

He would run himself into the ground for the team as well - remember he came on as sub once after being out for a couple of weeks and played the last half-hour. About 15 mins after the game with the ground getting close to empty he back out to do a 'warm down' and did about 5 laps of the pitch at full pelt - he had some stamina!

Paul Williams was a class player but would never realisticly get that many goals in the top flight, hence Trevor Francis decision to let him go and bring in Mark Bright.

Most memorable Willow goals for me where against Chelsea in the semi final, in front of the kop against Luton Town (when Francis came on and transformed the match) and the one where he slotted it past Vinnie Jones.

Worked his socks off for us and made runs and played the simple pass very well... he and Hirsty played together brilliantly with willow not always getting the credit for setting up most of his goals...was probably a little lightweight once we got into the prem tho ... Brighty could hold up the ball very well too and had a nasty streak in him that probably made the difference and was needed!!!....

Williams was an excellent player, he might not have scored that many himself but he created a hell of a lot for Hirsty.

It was like Lineker and Beardsley playing together for England in the mid 80s, the jug-eared bogliner may have got the headlines but he wouldn't have had anywhere near as many without the hunchback alongside him making the chances.

I use to feel sorry for Williams. For some reason we always use to pump high balls up to him all the time. To his credit, he jumped for every single one, never complained about it from what I remember and tried his heart out. We always appreciate a trier.

Great player nice to see him get a mention as he rarely does. Skillful but did get bullied a bit. But football was rougher then. Arsenal finished Hirst with their dirty tackling.

Can anyone remember who we sold Williams to?

He was part of the deal that brought Mark Bright here from Palace.

good player charlie and for me his best game was at home to middlesboro when he scored 2 late on to win us a very important game.he seemed to drop out of the game very quickly after he left us .(dont know if he had an injury ) .

good player charlie and for me his best game was at home to middlesboro when he scored 2 late on to win us a very important game.he seemed to drop out of the game very quickly after he left us .(dont know if he had an injury ) .

I'd almost forgotten that nickname. No doubt the young 'uns will have no idea who that refers to.

Charliewilliams.jpg

Edited by DJMortimer

Guest Fedor

Been said but was perfect foil for Hirsty with his unselfish movement. Dont believe Bright was bought to replace him. When Hirsty was out we were a bit lightweight up front.