Paul Williams

Guest ™Goody™

What a player. I've always wondered why he never gets a mention. In the 1990/91 season he was brilliant. The most memorably goal for me was against Chelsea in the semi final 2nd leg where he nipped in between the goalkeeper and defender and chipped it over him.

Edited by ™Goody™

He was perfect foil for Hirsty, I would say it was our best ever strike partnership. Can anyone help, was having a conversation with a mate about another Williams who played around the same time. A young black guy, but more of a bustling winger who I seem to remember filled in at fullback. Didn't play many games but we couldn't remember his name.

Williams ran the channels very well. He would stand next to his centrehalf counterpart then make the run. The centrehalf more often than not would follow, leaving the other on his own with Hirsty to deal with.

Workrate was outstanding, people go on about COG now but Williams worked harder was as unselfish but could also stick the ball in the onion bag.

I had him on my shoulders after he scored that winner in the second leg. Yes those of you booing on the Kop, I was one of those that ran on from the Kop.

Best goal Willo scored for us was in a pre-season game against the Pigs at Hillsborough. Volley in front of the kop - might have been a testimonial and I'm fairly sure we won. It was probably his first game after signing as a replacement for Dalian Atkinson.

This lad was a great team player and held the ball up linking play superbly. If I recall not a great goalscorer, I always looked for his name on the team sheet. Similar player to Gordon (flash )Watson. Anyone remember where we bought him from?

This lad was a great team player and held the ball up linking play superbly. If I recall not a great goalscorer, I always looked for his name on the team sheet. Similar player to Gordon (flash )Watson. Anyone remember where we bought him from?

They both came from Charlton didn't they?

Guest intercity0wl

Yea but imho only similar in the fact they both played in Shorts, he was light years ahead of Watson in every other respect

He certainly complimented Hirst very well in that first season but into the second it became increasingly obvious that he just didn't offer enough of a goal threat. Whenever he had a one-on-one he looked like he had no confidence that he would score, and his nervousness was well founded as he missed loads of them.

That sounds rather more harsh than it was intended to be as he most certainly played a big part in our promotion/cup double and there's no doubt he is someone who can look back on his time at the club with pride.