Sheffield Wednesday player you first idolised...

Redfern Froggat. His mother lived just around the corner from me. I was a child of about 10 when he used to take me to the reserve matches to watch him play. He was coming to the end of his career at that point but still a hero to a very young lad.

Little Paul Williams for me. Him and Hyde were my favourites because they made up for not having the same quality of the players they lined up with with guile and hard work.

I got a right ribbing at school for that, when everyone else would have said Hirst or Sheridan, the very players I was comparing them to.

Can't remember the name of the street, its been 30+ years but it was quite close to Windmill Hill junior school, Paul Bradshaw used to live in the same

area and later Mel Sterland lived on Mackenzie Crescent the same road I lived on at the time.

Thanks for the reply. I used to walk that way to/from school (I lived in Burncross) and I had a paper round in that area. Didn't know Eric Potts lived around there.

I met Mel quite a few times in various pubs. Crown & Cushion and the Acorn mostly but the most memorable was in the Wharncliffe Arms the day his penalty clinched promotion for us (28th April 1984).

Guest andyofsheffield

Who was your first ever Sheffield Wednesday hero ? The player you idolised...?

Im not as old as my old man who has Sheridan and Curran in his top players but for me the first bloke in a Wednesday shirt who stood out was Pressman. The games he had in against any local team especially united was world class. He will always stand out for me.