Sheffield Wednesday player you first idolised...

Guest UncoveredKop

Andy McCulloch - he's the reason I became a Werdnesday fan, loved the way he played, always seemed to get blood coming from somewhere on his legs or head, he was an old school centre forward who scared the babar out of defenders, and he would always be prepared to chin an opposing player if necessary. He came to our school sports day and I got his autograph, he asked if I was a Wednesday fan, I said yes, and then he said make sure you go on Saturday and I did.

My brother took me to my first match on Boxing day 1975, against Arsenal. The Owls won 4-0 and Alan Hickton scored a hat trick. He got sold soon afterwards to Middlesborough where he became a goal scoring machine. It had to be David Ford after he left.

i think you mean john hickton who left wednesday for middlesboro in 1966

Bannister for me too.

He was just cool as - great hair, brilliant player, great abilities. Loved him. I always wanted to go to Ibiza since I read it was his favourite holiday destination in a programme in about 1981.

Remember being absolutely devastated at Cardiff in 84 when I knew it was his last game.

It was the 1959 season I think, we had this strange situation where you would n't know when a player was available due to National Service. One of these players Johnny Quinn we got from Prescott Cables FC (Lancs) and like all other young blokes he had his National Service to do.

Wether you got these players in the team was usually down to the Colour Seargant or Aggitant and there was usually a bit of mutual back scratching involved, tickets, favours and the like.

No such stuff for players as immage rights but I do remember in 1959 these little blue plastic badges in the shape of a US Marshalls badge came out to compete with the timeless cigarette cards which as kids we all had in great volumes. My first Marshalls badge I wore with pride....It was Johnny Quinn, I did n't see much of him in that first season but wore his badge with pride at Crookesmoor Boys School.

Johnny Quinn got more weekend releases in his second year and it was with excitement that he was to be released for our encounter with Manchester United, I had my second Marshalls badge with Gerry Young ( fitting that they would be partners together all those years later just 200 yards from Hillsborough).

Jonny Quinn had a blinder that day and Gerry Young scored a hat trick. Quinny never really won the crowd over until our cup run year filling in as utility wherever he was needed. It was a shame that he was sold to Rotherham off the back of a great run of form iether wide left, left back or utility substitute.

So good were his last few seasons that the fans were won over and all would join in with ............................

Thanks John fgond memories.

Michael Reddy.

I went for the kit the day he went back. I only found out he'd gone when the women at the Wednesday shop told me, that was after my mum had asked for 'Reddy 37' on the back of the shirt.

Gutted i were! And there was no 'Q's left so I couldn't have Kuqi either!