"Jones the backstabber ?"

Seen this mentioned a few times on here, by some quite respectable posters too.

In an ideal world we'd see a bit of morality take hold and Dave Jones would have said "thanks for the interest Milan, but get in contact when you've got a vacancy".

Unfortunately however, this is football, a sport where morality and sportsmanship have long since disappeared.

So I thought i'd give a few examples of this kind of thing going on at our club in the past.

- Peter Eustace was sacked on 14th February 1989 - Ron Atkinson was in the hotseat within MINUTES after talks with Dave Richards

- Richards was at it again in 1998, contacting Barnsley over the availablity of Danny Wilson as early as April, while Big Ron was fighting for a new contract.

- Chris Turner was sacked in September 2004, Paul Sturrock took the job five days later after reportedly holding talks with Dave Allen for a week.

And finally...

- Alan Irvine was sacked on 3rd February 2011, and gary megson took the vacancy 19 hours later.

Guest justcraig

If I ran a multi million pound company, I'd want the right man ready to take over the instance I removed the current man..... It's business and there's no friends in business mate!

Guest londonowl1

anyone who thinks Jones is a backstabber is just a complete and utter tooser.

We approached Jones!!! beacuase he is a fukin good manager

Its not his fault!!!

Guest Distraught!

Cruel old world, isn't it?

You don't think that this sort of behaviour is somehow rife in all walks of life and in every country?

Companies tap up other managers all the time then conspire to find ways of removing "unwanted articles".

Guest wilyfox

if there was any backstabbing at all, it was from Mandaric, not Jones. if Milan wanted a managerial change following difficulties behind the scenes, so be it. should not have been common knowledge whilst Megson was incharge though.

Yeah, no problem with it whatsoever.

In fact, Mandaric would have been negligent if he hadn't sounded out his first choice replacement before releasing Megson, otherwise you could very easily have ended up hiring someone weaker than the guy you've just paid off to leave.

In an ideal world we'd see a bit of morality take hold and Dave Jones would have said "thanks for the interest Milan, but get in contact when you've got a vacancy".

Unfortunately however, this is football, a sport where morality and sportsmanship have long since disappeared.

So I thought i'd give a few examples of this kind of thing going on at our club in the past.

- Peter Eustace was sacked on 14th February 1989 - Ron Atkinson was in the hotseat within MINUTES after talks with Dave Richards

- Richards was at it again in 1998, contacting Barnsley over the availablity of Danny Wilson as early as April, while Big Ron was fighting for a new contract.

- Chris Turner was sacked in September 2004, Paul Sturrock took the job five days later after reportedly holding talks with Dave Allen for a week.

And finally...

- Alan Irvine was sacked on 3rd February 2011, and gary megson took the vacancy 19 hours later.

He may even actually have said that and Milan may have said "OK watch this space - I'll be in touch next week, in the meantime be thinking about backroom staff etc etc" - we don't know how it came about.

Guest thekelch

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'd much prefer this to the situation Wolves find themselves in ...

Guest intercity0wl

Yeah, no problem with it whatsoever.

In fact, Mandaric would have been negligent if he hadn't sounded out his first choice replacement before releasing Megson, otherwise you could very easily have ended up hiring someone weaker than the guy you've just paid off to leave.

But We have havent we ?

Looking at the OP, all those managers which were sacked had it coming, we were fighting relegation.Megson is different, we are 3rd in the league, Jones must be desperate for work if he thinks he can improve on Megson's achievements. He must have promised Mandaric automatic. Jones=backstabber for me

Guest Romish Owl

If you were out of a job and someone came and asked you wouldn't you take it!

Meggy was one of us sure, but its MM who has his money in the club, without him we would have have no club, so far his moves have been OK, give Jones a chance and review at the end of the season.

And finally...

It happens all the time, away from football too.

I bet some of those who have made these comments have probabaly at some point, gone for a job interview, whilst being already employed with another company.