The most depressing thing of all..

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

On reflection, I think the worst thing about last nights fiasco is that we are no longer able to pretend that football is anything other than the soulless money pit that it has become. There was a real buzz about the club with Megson here almost regardless of results - we were all able to pretend that fans, manager, players, chairman etc were all on the same page and working together to build something special and make this club a success. Turns out (and it was obvious in hindsight) that we aren't on the same page at all.

Just like the Premiership and the England national team, its all about money and the fans are irrelevant even at this level. Manderic owns the club 100% and can do what he wants - everything that comes out of his mouth now seems calculated to get the fans off his back and give him an easy life while he does just that.As a fan himself, GM was clearly getting annoyed with the constant over-promising and under-delivery and due to his own personality 'foibles' was never going to be able to keep quiet and just do what he's told.

Having your illusions shattered is painful -whatever happens next I don't think there are going to be any more manderic flags on the kop and fans chanting his name. I think he's going to have a harder time getting people to believe a word he says in future.

I'd say the sooner he sells up the better - but the problem is - sells up to who? Some shady oligarch looking for a place to launder their money? A foreign consortium who want to diversify their portfolio? Is that really all there is? It's too depressing for words....

But on the flip side it was down to bad management at the playing level, and at board level; the reason why we have been in the mess we have benn in for the last 10-15 years.

You can't run a business on sentiment. If MM has made this decision for the best interest of the club, I guess we have to trust him with that! As much as it pains us to see a fellow wednesdayite be treated in the manner he has.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

The most depressing thing of all is reading the rubbish spewing out the fingers and mouths of our fans this morning.

It's like some kind of competition to prove who was most hurt last night.

Milan needs to go! I'll never trust him again! I was in tears at the news! No man is bigger than the club Milan! Aldridge did it!

I'd start a new thread but it'd get lost in tge outpouring of grief. Has anyone been to lay a wreath yet? That's clearly the next step.

Here's a question, name me 5 excellent footballing performances in the past year. Not results, but brilliant free flowing entertainment.

Do the same for Irvine.

What's the difference? The fans liked Megson becaue he was one of us, but it was dire to watch. Some fans even swept over it by referring to it as direct football! We've bought a team of 6 foot plus players and knock.it long into the box. That's our main outlet.

Now hopefully the new man can bring in success and something enjoyable to watch. I can't wait.

You don´t get beautiful`free flowing WINNING football on the shoe string Megson had to work with!! you have to play to the strengths of the people you can get. And thats Milans fault

I'd rather win and watch poor quality football than lose watching exciting football. You have to play how you can win games and this season we have won more than we have lost so obviously it works.

Fair enough. I'd prefer good football and winning ala southampton, norwich, Brighton etc. Call me old fashioned.

The most depressing thing of all is reading the rubbish spewing out the fingers and mouths of our fans this morning.

Milan needs to go! I'll never trust him again! I was in tears at the news! No man is bigger than the club Milan! Aldridge did it!

I'd start a new thread but it'd get lost in tge outpouring of grief. Has anyone been to lay a wreath yet? That's clearly the next step.

Here's a question, name me 5 excellent footballing performances in the past year. Not results, but brilliant free flowing entertainment.

Do the same for Irvine.

What's the difference? The fans liked Megson becaue he was one of us, but it was dire to watch. Some fans even swept over it by referring to it as direct football! We've bought a team of 6 foot plus players and knock.it long into the box. That's our main outlet.

Now hopefully the new man can bring in success and something enjoyable to watch. I can't wait.

yes i liked megson cos he was one of us,but i liked him more due to the fact he adopted a relegation threatened team (can you remember just how bad we were }

and turned us into a possible promotion team spending very little on the way.Weve seen what happens getting rid of managers at the drop of a hat, now were getting rid of a good un,agree the footballs not been the best weve ever seen but ive certainly enjoyed a lot more sat night s out thjs last 12 months

Guest thewill

Fair enough. I'd prefer good football and winning ala southampton, norwich, Brighton etc. Call me old fashioned.

Everyone would want that, but the reality is in league 1, you have one or the other - most of the time.

Do the same for Irvine.

George you make a very good point. The thing is after ten years of soulless dross, someone who showed a bit of passion, and actually got the players looking like they cared was going to be a hero. The fact that his family are seeped in the traditions of S6 made it even better.

Perhaps our judgement is clouded by this?

For me the main thing is to get promotion, automatic or play-offs doesn't matter,and that was the way we were heading,

to sack someone for only being 3rd in the league with 13 games to go is ridiculous.

I'm not daft enough to think that everyone will appreciate the style of play we were playing, i'm not a great fan of it myself,but

let's be realistic.

One thing i will say is that who ever comes in is a very lucky man,to take over a team that is so well placed in the league.

I would bet on my grannie to not flip it up,regarding a play-off place at the least, although i must admit her style of coaching

is a bit dated

George you make a very good point. The thing is after ten years of soulless dross, someone who showed a bit of passion, and actually got the players looking like they cared was going to be a hero. The fact that his family are seeped in the traditions of S6 made it even better.

Perhaps our judgement is clouded by this?

I think so, we loved stories of taking fans up the kop, tales of how much the club means. Just the football was crap. Irvine was 2nd in the league when fans started to turn because we knew the football wasn't going to get us promotion.

Do the same for Irvine.

Completely agree George. I wasn't pleased about Megsons appointment but I grew to love having a real wednesdayite in charge. Trouble was, the football this season has been poor, despite getting some good results. I feel sorry for GM because I think he was shafted but hope the new manager can instil the confidence in our players to make them get the ball down and pass it well....

For me the main thing is to get promotion, automatic or play-offs doesn't matter,and that was the way we were heading,

to sack someone for only being 3rd in the league with 13 games to go is ridiculous.

I'm not daft enough to think that everyone will appreciate the style of play we were playing, i'm not a great fan of it myself,but

let's be realistic.

One thing i will say is that who ever comes in is a very lucky man,to take over a team that is so well placed in the league.

I would bet on my grannie to not flip it up,regarding a play-off place at the least, although i must admit her style of coaching

is a bit dated

It's a fair point re the timing. But barring some incredible run automatic looks a long bet, and could you honestly see Megson taking us on that run?

Similarly, the play offs seem a given. But. Would you believe that given the relative spending power that we would have been looking at doing everything possible to avoid meeting Stevenage in the semis? Is it right that a team in third is fearful of playing 6th place? If so, you've got to ask why.

Do the same for Irvine.

All of that absolutely bang on , as i said in a previous post i have a season ticket but still cant be bothered to watch the dross that has been served up this season , the Yeovil game i was back at home before the 2nd half even kicked off! Edited by the monk

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Fancy answering my question about the football? What next? A new manager comes in and stamps his authority on the team and demands free flowing attacking football that sees us go on a 13 match winning run to take automatic? Just adding a bit of balance to your prediction.

If all you want is a manager with passion then there's 30,000 or so who could equal that last Sunday. The football has been atrocious these past two years. There was no indication this would improve. Megson brought in how many players? And you're happy with aerial assaults on the penalty box? Bullying your way through matches? Laughing at teams like MK Dons who have the audacity to try and play the game it should be?

Not for me thanks.

14 consecutive matches we've had a different starting 11. It's March and we don't know our best team. As long as he's passionate though.

Whilst youre here as well, what about the question I posed you last night when you said Dave Jones makes your skin crawl? Why?

Because he does, it;s his personailty... nothing to do with any accusations... it is how I have felt since I first saw the man interviewed.. just comes over as very creepy and insipid.. I felt this way WELL BEFORE any accusations, which he was found not guilty quite rightly....

Always has always will... sorry I know he isn't what some have inferred, I know that and I fully accept that, but he has always made me think creep as soon as I saw him.. sorry I dont know the man personally and I ususaly donlt go off first judgements at all. In fact I argue against that..

I am not usually judgemental about people I always say there is good in everyone, and to give people all the time in te world without condemiing them but for some reason I just don't get Dave Jones... or Paul Ince... I see them as the same character...

Hell I even stood up for DA at one time....

So thats how I feel, I know what you were thinking BUT it simply isn;t anything to do with that....

By the way I didnt see your post last night or else I would have answered it staright away... sorry...

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

It's a fair point re the timing. But barring some incredible run automatic looks a long bet, and could you honestly see Megson taking us on that run?

Similarly, the play offs seem a given. But. Would you believe that given the relative spending power that we would have been looking at doing everything possible to avoid meeting Stevenage in the semis? Is it right that a team in third is fearful of playing 6th place? If so, you've got to ask why.

It's all well and good saying you hate the style of football and a new man will bring that. It's easy talk.

Whoever comes in has the same squad - chosen and coached to play a certain way. How long did it take Megson to get the team playing his way? Whoever comes in may get some good early results - new managers often do - but changing how a team play doesn't happen overnight. He has 13 games. I don't see how any balanced decision making process could come to the conclusion that change and it's risks increases the probability of a promotion chance unless the players hated the old manager and were glad to see the back of him. That is not the case here.

tell me about it ... some have compared it to splitting up with a girlfriend/partner/wife!!!!!!!!!!!!