Please comment if you were one of the 15,900 who attended last night

Firstly before people start to knock me. I took the trouble to attend last night, unlike the thousands who just want to attend the derby and no doubt hurl abuse at the opposition fans. Due to traffic on the M62 the journey down took over two hours. No sympathy needed just telling readers.

From the start last night the atmosphere was awful, what chanting I heard was the usual 'The City is Ours' Sorry lads in the North Stand behind me be please it is our neighbours who are having a laugh at the moment, just quietly going about their business. The 200+ Stevenage supporters never shut up.

As a team we are struggling at present we can all see that. I have constantly mentioned on here my concern of the lack of pace, lack of creativity in midfield and our tactic of hoof ball. Well last night that played into the hands of Stevenage, not a good side but a well organised physical team.

We are now in third place and our neighbours are on a role. May the best teams get automatic, at present the form book suggests that will not be us. I am still convinced we will make the play offs and meet Hudds at Wembley (hope Rhodes is injured)

I supported my team last night and with all respect to those supporters who could not make it right now the team needs all the support it can get, just turning out on the 26th is not on. Unfortunately due to a family bereavement I missed out on a ticket, if there is any genuine offer of a spare ticket please get in touch with me. I am on the waiting list with the ticket office and have been told that priority will be given to Owls members so I could be lucky.

I WANT TO BE THERE AND SUPPORT MY TEAM WHO I SUPPORT HOME AND AWAY THROUGH THICK AND THIN.

Finally my ratings on the team last night.

Bywater = 5 - Not impressed with him, does not command his box. We are told that he is a real character, that does not matter to me I want reliability. Weaver back for me if he is fit.

Otsemebor = 5 - At fault for the goal, he never attempted to jump, I am nearly 60 with a bad back and I would have tried. Defensively apart from that ok, but going forward he seems frightened, will not attack with the ball at his feet.

He did not give another option in the first half Lines was screaming at him to overlap he just stayed rooted to the spot. At least he will be out when Reda returns.

Jones = 6 - Yes he clears the line but nearly all his headers go to the opposition. The captains role seems to be weighing him down at present. Like his enthusasim but lacks ability. Would prefer Liera as he gives us more options, and distrubutes the ball better. Gives too many free kick away when he lunges in.

Baath = 7 = Best defender on the pitch last night. Covered well for others, still a good player, only issue needs more work on his distrubution so he doesn't just hoof it forward.

Buxton = 6 - Better right back, played out of position but tried his best. Still looks a bit off the pace since his injury. He has really improved, I was not a fan of his but can see improvement, one of our best defenders.

JJ = 9 - MOTM for me, enthusastic, energy and effort he caused them to panic. He was our only outelt at times and the ball into the box for Madine in the 2nd half was class, just need Madine to read it properly. He is delivering at present long may it continue.

Prutton - 5 - Nothing special, alot of huff and puff. Think Bostock would have played instead of him if fit.

Lines = 6 - Glad to see him backplayers just stand and wait instead of attacking th ball delivered at pace.,

Semedo = 5 - Love him to bits, but has faded of late. Still gritty will tackle all day, but whether he is tired or frustrated he has gone off the boil lately. Even he has resorted to hoofing the ball.

COG = 7 - Great strength and hold up play. Committed and always gives 100% but lacks goals. A great effort in the first few minutes, if only that had gone in. Needs a different player next to him either JJ or Lowe.

MADINE = 4 - Don't know what to make of him. Runs like he has his legs tied together. His body language is all wrong at present. Why did he not just attack the ball from JJ. When he was subbed he didn't even look at Megson. He could want to leave in the summer.

Morrison = 3 - Huff and puff not the answer for me, should have been sold.

Jones = 3 - Didn't get a chance really, Megson bought him he needs to be given a chance from the start, Him and Lowe were good at Bury but never had a chance at S6.

Megson = 4 - On the radio home I listened to his post match interview. He talked about us having more shots and corners and all about our defending at corners that are practiced the day before a match. When he stated that not much his wrong, I switched the radio off. He is too defensively minded for me. I feel he is loosing the dressing room, if he has not already lost it. If we don't go up this year Milan will get rid of him.

Last night was a poor performance against an average team, they were well organised and would have been happy with a point. A defender nearly helped us in the second half, but we really never troubled their keeper.

Our main tactic is root 1, hoof ball. Our play is very narrow, easy to deal with. Alot has been made of Marshall, he has gone for more money and Championship football. Milan will not spend a fortune on new players, he has spent a fortune bailing us out already. Maybe he would spend money and will back a couple of loan signings in the next couple of weeks.

I fear for the derby match, passion will not be sufficient that day. As I said before, I want to be there any genuine ticket offer accepted, please get in touch.

Well folks, post over, any sensible debate welcomed. Back to the decorating, will log in later to read any comments.

UTO

I went and I agree with alot of your ratings. For the goal originally Semedo gave the ball away cheaply then didn't track back, and Bywater should have caught the cross which went out for a corner.

It's only now we are realising how much we relied on Ben Marshall.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Wanted to create some sensible debate, instead of the doom and gloom from people who don't attend.

I've just read your post completely, and largely agree. United are in the driving seat now, and can only see them and Charlton getting automatic, which is an amazing achievement for them and could well turn their fortunes around.

Only point I disagree with is Buxton, I just think he really is consistently excellent. Full of running, solid in defence and put some decent crosses in with his left foot.

Spot on otherwise though!

Your best chance of a ticket is to ask someone whose kid might not be going.

We have paid to 'convert' a kids season ticket to an adult day ticket.

Good luck, and yes I was there. I can say it is frustrating to never get into a flow of pressure. Constant hold ups from sloppy decisions, free kicks (and particularly) goal kicks that take an eternity to get back into play.

I just felt, poor tho' we were, that we MAY have converted one or two and got away with a draw or even a win.

(HugeOwl please let me know what you're on I'd like some - my t1ts are on the floor big time)

Guest Jadster

I was at the game last night, an these are my personal views.

Lines was getting a bit of stick from fans were i was in the north stand, for me he is one of the few players that is actually trying to play some football, Lines will only get better when Megson puts another passer of the ball in there with him.

Admittedly his free kicks needed a little more pace on the night, nobody seemed to attack it like Reda does.

He was forced into playing Prutton and Semedo together so i cant complain about that.

I thought O grady worked hard and Madine looks to be lacking confidence as do a lot of other players in the side.

We need eleven leaders on the pitch, currently without Reda leading by example, we dont have any.

North stand were singing "worst support I've ever seen" at the start, but Stevenage fans were excellent. Irony.

To be fair, we were nowhere near as bad as some people are claiming and some of the comments on here are incredible and contradictory. We weren't that good, but tell me what Stevenage did to deserve a victory,

Is this team good enough for automatic? Probably not and there are weaknesses there for all to see, but a lot of people would have been happy with play offs at the start of the season, not that I'm one.

Are we too predictable? Have been all season and these areas have not been addressed.

Sometimes in this game you need a bit of luck, we patently aren't getting any and the last two results could easily have gone the other way.

As for the derby, some people are beaten already and the pigs think they have it in the bag. They haven't. UTO.

Guest danny wath owl

Agree with most of the OP

COG had good game. all but scored.

madine needs confidence as start of season

semi . GET TO THE BYLINE !!! n show desire

lines . tried n played well but others around didnt help ..

Long way to go yet guys but things need to change. the passion ,will to win and desire needs to be found

I went :biggrin:

Agree with most of what you say...Bit harsh on Buxton who tends to get shuffled around due to being quite vesatile.

Thought Madine and Prutton were awful...JJ - MOM by a mile.

Wednesday were the better of two very average sides on the night...But we are so lightweight up front and lack creativity and guile to break opponents down.

Can't be there on the 26th though due to family committments...I'm just a part timer really :ohmy:

Your best chance of a ticket is to ask someone whose kid might not be going.

We have paid to 'convert' a kids season ticket to an adult day ticket.

Good luck, and yes I was there. I can say it is frustrating to never get into a flow of pressure. Constant hold ups from sloppy decisions, free kicks (and particularly) goal kicks that take an eternity to get back into play.

I just felt, poor tho' we were, that we MAY have converted one or two and got away with a draw or even a win.

(HugeOwl please let me know what you're on I'd like some - my t1ts are on the floor big time)

Thanks for that, still hoping that I may get lucky at the ticket office.

Guest JoeTheOwl

Good post Skipton.

I went along last night and i agree with you about the Stevenage fans, they were a noisy bunch. Decent laugh on the tram too.

I thought JJ was a beast last night. Just really needs someone to finish the chances he makes. I'd also really like to see Lowe get a shot. Why he isn't even making the bench is beyond me.

Some valid points.

I think your rating of Otsemebor is generous. Not only was he at fault for the goal, he was one of their best defenders. He stops any attacks we have in their tracks. Even when there's just green grass in front of him he's scared to run into it. Someone should tell him there are no landmines buried under the pitch.

Also a bit harsh on Clinton and Jones. They came on at a time when we were desperate, which equates to us just lumping it up to a very competent Stevenage defence to head back out. Jones looked lively, he ran and tried to show for the ball. He looked like he wanted it. Which is more than a lot of them out there.

Yes the atmosphere was poor, but the players didn't do anything to raise any excitement. The loudest the kop got was when Megson looked like he wanted to chin their manager. Say's it all really.