Top 5 Toughest Wednesday Players

Guest Johnbloodaxe

swann, don megson, vic mobley Young, big sam ellis, rodrigues, anderson, walker...

All pretty tough

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Emerson 'The Wall' Thome has to be top of the list for me... as a top 5 in no particular order:

1 Emerson Thome

2 Jose Semedo

3 Nigel Pearson

4 Lee Bullen

5 Paul Maclaren (crap and vicious, but you wouldn't want to meet him down a proverbial dark alley)

Maclaren?? Are you a complete idiot? I dont remember him winning any midfield duels let alone rough stuff

poo and crap

An isolated incident I'm sure, but I remember Mark Bright broke Andy Linighan's nose in the 93 final.

Hirst put Stuart Pearce on his arse.

Di Canio struck me as the type who wasn't that hard but was such a nutter that he wouldn't have stopped fighting until he was dead.

Palmer, Hyde, wouldn't have got on the wrong side of Jon Newsome.

But got to be Nigel Paerson for me. I'm only 30 and I don't remember Mick Lyons.

Well I can go back a lot further.

60s (1) Graham Pugh and (2) Vic Mobley both as hard as nails.

70s (3) Jeff Johnson did all the dirty work and then gave the ball to Brain Hornsby to distribute. Also agree with (4) Mick Lyons

90's (5) Carlton Palmer, did'nt look up to much but never neshed a tackle and could mix it with anyone.

Graham Pugh.

Great shout.

Especially in an all white strip.

(on a black and white telly - boy, we had it rough).

And, don't mention the bloody state of the pitches. Or, the footballs lol

Guest jamesmappin

I can't believe more of you haven't said Rob Jones. Did you see him earlier when Cresswell tried to turn him? It was like he ran straight into a brick wall. SOLID!!!

Didn't Andy Pearce once threaten Vinnie Jones down at their place? Vinne locked himself in changing rooms. Damn. Where is that story?

Edit. Found it.

Wimbledon versus Sheffield Wednesday.

Picture the scene.

A midfield 'battle' has developed between the young Graham Hyde of Wednesday and Vinnie Jones of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang. Turf flying in the heat of battle as the clash unfolds.

The event was a mis-match if ever there was one. The diminutive frame of the young Hyde up against the self proclaimed hardman of football, Vinnie Jones.

As the game drew to a close, it was clear that hardman Vinnie had become the victor of the day. The youngster Hyde was kicked and bruised, bitten and scratched. Vinnie was then to announce on the field that he was going to "knock Hyde's teeth out in the tunnel after the game."

Now it is time to bring to the fold a certain Andy Pearce. A real cult hero of a man. The real fans' player, not at all blessed with skill but the kind of player who had the East Bank faithful's admiration after every shift. Good or bad, you just knew Pearce had put everything into it.

The Bradford-on-Avon product stood a menacing 6'5" tall, a former hod carrier in the building trade, covered in tatoos, long flowing locks and hard as nails. Pearce was not a man to be taken lightly. He would not have looked out of place in a rowdy working man's club on a drunken Friday evening. You could say not your typical gentleman central defender of yesteryear.

Now back to the event.

Pearce, looking out for one of his own was rather upset by Jones' uncalled for threats and was going to stick up for his team mate. So, after the game an annoyed Pearce went to knock on the Wimbledon changing room door to have a quiet word with Vinnie. The door was quickly bolted shut and Vinnie refused to come out and chat with Pearce. Nobody else from the Crazy Gang was eager to open it either.

This was red rag to a bull to Pearce who then started banging on the door, shouting for Vinnie to get himself out and explain himself. At this point it was clear that the attention had been diverted to this little episode, media and officials from both teams gathered around as the warrior like Pearce kicked open the door, lunging forward into enemy territory Pearce had to be held back from the cowering and rather sheepish looking Jones by a good number of brave and hardy men.

Hardman of football?

He lost his crown that day.

Andy Pearce. The last of a generation of old school, down the pub footballer.

Edited by mrgund

I can't believe more of you haven't said Rob Jones. Did you see him earlier when Cresswell tried to turn him? It was like he ran straight into a brick wall. SOLID!!!

Well remembered!

Halsey just shook his head and waved it away, Cresswell didn't get up for about 5 minutes.

Guest jamesmappin

Well remembered!

Halsey just shook his head and waved it away, Cresswell didn't get up for about 5 minutes.

It was a good job he did because Cresswell was away. Great defending by him.

Des Walker. Could he be a shout???