Top 5 Toughest Wednesday Players

Emerson 'The Wall' Thome has to be top of the list for me... as a top 5 in no particular order:

1 Emerson Thome

2 Jose Semedo

3 Nigel Pearson

4 Lee Bullen

5 Paul Maclaren (crap and vicious, but you wouldn't want to meet him down a proverbial dark alley)

Well I can go back a lot further.

60s (1) Graham Pugh and (2) Vic Mobley both as hard as nails.

70s (3) Jeff Johnson did all the dirty work and then gave the ball to Brain Hornsby to distribute. Also agree with (4) Mick Lyons

90's (5) Carlton Palmer, did'nt look up to much but never neshed a tackle and could mix it with anyone.

got to agree about jeff johnson,alex sabella pobably still has nightmares.

Top 5 Wednesday Wusses;

1 Franny Jeffers (no narrative required)

2 Shefki Kuqi (should have been a hard man, but regularly got outmuscled by tiny opponents)

3 Peter Gilbert (scared of the ball)

4 Brad Jones (ditto)

5 Akpo Sodje (not his fault, but he couldn't look at a tackle without rupturing summat)

Graham Hyde was about 9 stone but I bet some of the midfielders around in the early/ mid 90's have a few of his stud marks still showing on their shins - was an animal in the tackle at times.

Pearson was the hard man of the great 90's side though Viv Anderson could certainly mix it (as john fashanu found on on a couple of occasions).

Nigel Worthington

Remember Peter Reid taking Brian Marwood out at Goodison. Irish then returned the favour and absolutely smashing Peter Reid. Irish even had the cheek to give Reidy a little wink whilst he was rolling about on the grass.

Loved it.

1 - Paul Warhurst. Was there really a dressing room dust up at West ham away?

2 - Chris Woods. Told that he was the hardest player at the club in the 90's. No idea if true

3 - Des Walker. The only Wednesday player I can think of to be sent off after the match has finished

4 - Martin Hodge. Any one remember Derby away in the cup?

5 - Carlton Palmer - I seem to always recall the day he chinned Paul Stancliffe at the Lane in the pigs centenary "friendly" 1989. Sent off by our vey own Keith Hackett.