My gripe with Megson

Guest totemowl

I believe all our players have desire. No player would rather sit on the bench.

It all starts in the mind.

If the mind isn't right, then things won't click. It's not about desire, it's about being happy on the pitch.

If a player with ability is not happy......it is the MANAGERS problem to solve.

Today, Megson blamed his players. this is wrong in my opinion.

This is what Megson said today.

Sheffield Wednesday manager gary megson tells BBC Radio Sheffield:

"I didn't think we were like ourselves. The only threat that we looked like we've got is JJ (Jermaine Johnson) and it's a fantastic strike and as I've said he does look a threat, but a lot of our players at the moment are not playing in the right manner.

"There have been times when we have lost games, but we haven't lost them like that.

"We're second from top and we're not really pushing to kick on from that.

"That was a really important result for us today, before the game kicked off and we've got a few (players) who think they're a lot better than they are and they've got to start shaping themselves up."

I can't see anything wrong with that.

Doesn't quite work like that unless yr name is david hirst or wayne rooney.

Not every player can just pick up the ball and work wonders.

Players like Madine rely on service. No good asking the to go chasing round in midfield trying to find the ball.

As usual you are just spouting clap trap. Worthy, simplistic nonsense.

Only nonsense comes from you, we created today in case you didn't notice

As you've mentioned him I'm gunna say Madine needs take a look at himself, ya just can't behave how he does on a pitch because it will rub off on the rest

Frustration and mardiness are different

He's no longer going to be picked out at a back post by a delightful chipped ball from the byline. He's going to have to be aggressive and bust a gut to get on the end of things especially the balls in and around the 6 yard box

Guest chrisodonkey

Being hard working is great and is what you need in a successful team, but you also need

quality.....something that is lacking in O'Grady.

Only nonsense comes from you, we created today in case you didn't notice

As you've mentioned him I'm gunna say Madine needs take a look at himself, ya just can't behave how he does on a pitch because it will rub off on the rest

Frustration and mardiness are different

He's no longer going to be picked out at a back post by a delightful chipped ball from the byline. He's going to have to be aggressive and bust a gut to get on the end of things especially the balls in and around the 6 yard box

so you want him to be busting a gut around the 6 yard box yeah?

that means he doesn't drop deep at all and relies completely on service.

since marshall has gone he has been living off scraps here and there. That is why he is frustrated. CoG won't assist him because he just dwells and his decision making is poor. Plus there is no movement around him.

Madine is the best finisher at the club but he needs the ball to come to him in the 6 yard box to happen

He cannot make that happen on his own regardless of how many times he runs up grenoside woods. Another player has to put it in for him.

The REAL problem is COG and Madine is not a good parnership but Megson REFUSES to drop COG because he loves a grafter. Well fine, but we won't score goals.

Madine is the best finisher at the club but he needs the ball to come to him in the 6 yard box to happen.

Back to my point you kindly highlighted

He cannot make that happen on his own regardless of how many times he runs up grenoside woods. Another player has to put it in for him.

He can try getting in and around there without the face on, the latter a cheap shot

The REAL problem is COG and Madine is not a good parnership but Megson REFUSES to drop COG because he loves a grafter. Well fine, but we won't score goals

Think you,ll find its Madine that gets dropped

Think you,ll find its Madine that gets dropped

I don't deny it.

That's what I am expecting.

Big Shame.

But that is my point in this thread; Dropping all the quality and keeping all the grafters.

We end up with an honest team that is completely impotent. We are already half way there anyway. :dry:

I don't deny it.

That's what I am expecting.

Big Shame.

But that is my point in this thread; Dropping all the quality and keeping all the grafters.

We end up with an honest team that is completely impotent. We are already half way there anyway. :dry:

taking a wild stab in the dark id say you have not been to the last 2 league games.

taking a wild stab in the dark id say you have not been to the last 2 league games.

ok I'll admit.

i'm stuck in bloody Edinburgh working. lol

but even from afar i still belive madine's problem is down to having the wrong striker to play off. I've seen him play with cog about 5 times now and every time it's not worked starting with tranmere away.

Edited by Beholder

The things Megson asks for are always simple and basic behaviours - effort, desire, honesty and good attitude that shouldn't be hard for people to understand. The players also are constantly coached to ensure they know what their jobs are and what is expected of them to play their part in the team. They have all chosen and been fortunate enough to get jobs as professional footballers - and more than that professional footballers at Sheffield Wednesday. I will never criticise Megson for making players realise the significance of that fact because good footballers should be able to appreciate it and get on with the job and show their quality.

ok I'll admit.

i'm stuck in bloody Edinburgh working. lol

but even from afar i still belive madine's problem is down to having the wrong striker to play off. I've seen him play with cog about 5 times now and every time it's not worked starting with tranmere away.

Take it from me COG as looked twice the player Madine as in the last few weeks,mind saying that so as my springer spanial

Guest Briscoe Inferno

What I am saying is, we have to find a way of allowing them to play.

For example, COG works hard but his main objective is to hold on to the ball. Yeah he is great at that but he hardly ever assists and hardly ever scores. He is a bad foil for madine for reasons that been outlined many times on here.

Another example. Prutton and Semedo in the middle. Where is the creativity? It's just two honerst grafters who will put tackles in and give it to someone else to do the hard bit.

Another example- Sticking players like Palmer/ Bostock/ Coke / Lines out wide. They are wasted out wide. There is no wonder they look crap when the play there.

Centre mid should not be reserved for just grafers. We need creatives in there.

Good post Beholder

Whatever the long term merits, Madine looks awful at the moment and shouldn't be starting. COG, Madine, Morrison and, most surprisingly perhaps, Lowe are all struggling to score. Perhaps the issue is the pairing but then again it might be the supply. Personally I think that with the midfield functioning better then Lowe feeding off COG would produce goals. Madine has it in him but there always seems to be something bubbling beneath. I have a hunch that this time next year he might be elsewhere unfortunately.

The things Megson asks for are always simple and basic behaviours - effort, desire, honesty and good attitude that shouldn't be hard for people to understand. The players also are constantly coached to ensure they know what their jobs are and what is expected of them to play their part in the team. They have all chosen and been fortunate enough to get jobs as professional footballers - and more than that professional footballers at Sheffield Wednesday. I will never criticise Megson for making players realise the significance of that fact because good footballers should be able to appreciate it and get on with the job and show their quality.

Great post