My gripe with Megson

Graft and you get picked seems to be his ethos.

That is why players like COG, JOC and dare I say it...Semedo become un droppable under him.

However, players who have a more cultured way of playing. Players whose main qualities show when we are in possession. Players who can win us games- get dropped really easily. He gives them poo for not busting a gut when the reason they are not performing to their up most is because the sytem is not working for them.

He has no patience for players like Lines, Palmer, Bostock, Coke, Madine. If they do not charge around and be disciplined they are out on their ear. Problem is- these players need a bit of a licence to use their quality. They are rendered pointless if the ball just goes over their head.

We won't go up with a team of grafters alone. Megson needs to work around our quality players ( we don't have many) and find a way of making things fit for them. It is they who will get us out of this division.

But what megson praises is graft. That is the only currecny he seems to believe in. Not craft- Graft.

That is why we make hard work of every game we are in and why we will be very lucky to be promoted.

This would make sense if our last two games saw much in the way of "grafting". There's not much effort being shown bar from the likes of Semedo and COG. It's no coincidence they are two of our best players.

The so called 'touch of class' players you list do nothing with the ball when they get it, that's why they get criticised.

I think he has a set game plan of high tempo, high work rate and before this little spell it was working wonders and we looked a good team.

Sadly if everyone doesn't conform to this ethic we look disjointed and somewhat predictable.

I don't think Bostock will ever be this kind of player, for a 20 year his fittness and basic desire seems to be sadly lacking. Palmer seems to be a 16 year old in a 20+ year olds body in attitude and performance, Lowe can't do it for more than 40 minutes and whether Madine fancies or not if anyones guess.

With the others i'm slightly worried that they may be knackerd.

Semedo has looked done in, as has Cog, as has Batth to some extent.

We currently are told that we have the fittest team in the league, but they don't seem it recently. (number of late goals conceded)

Are these runs in the park too much, shouldn't fittnes already be there and its just a matter of rest and managing their bodies.

Big games coming up and i just hope we are not running on empty already.

This would make sense if our last two games saw much in the way of "grafting". There's not much effort being shown bar from the likes of Semedo and COG. It's no coincidence they are two of our best players.

The so called 'touch of class' players you list do nothing with the ball when they get it, that's why they get criticised.

What I am saying is, we have to find a way of allowing them to play.

For example, COG works hard but his main objective is to hold on to the ball. Yeah he is great at that but he hardly ever assists and hardly ever scores. He is a bad foil for madine for reasons that been outlined many times on here.

Another example. Prutton and Semedo in the middle. Where is the creativity? It's just two honerst grafters who will put tackles in and give it to someone else to do the hard bit.

Another example- Sticking players like Palmer/ Bostock/ Coke / Lines out wide. They are wasted out wide. There is no wonder they look crap when the play there.

Centre mid should not be reserved for just grafers. We need creatives in there.

Guest Big Guns

The last thing we need is to head back to the days where manager and fans just want players like Andy Booth, Shefki Kuqi, Andy Pearce etc in the side who graft but don't get results...

Correct your been sensible tonite

Let's,be right its too far in the season to be happy clapping these things need saying.

Agree with most posts on this how many games thus season have we played well and a result to show that eg 4-0??? Not once every result is hard fought and sometimes scraped that's fine when 3 PTS cone our way but when they don't suddenly the blinkers come off and you start to notice its not great football, on the flip side we are still 2nd and that must mean other teams around us are dropping points to I know they have games in hand but we would still be 4th . I think tactics need changing not the personnel but I would drop madine and quit the running in the hills the amount of times some players have tweeted that they are drained from the runs and the games.

And megson get off your high horse admit players and yourself have not performed the best recently and try a different approach

Guest The Horse

I think what we're coming to terms with is that we made such a good start to the season we've lost sight of the fact that we are very much a work in progress still.

For most of this season, Megson's instilled the fight and grit that was missing and we all craved for last season.

We have that now. Not today obvs, but mostly.

Now all we're missing is that little bit of creativity and flair to add to the work rate. We got that with Ben but even then, the mood was that we were still not quite the full picnic.

I hope we fluke it this season - but if it has to be next season we just need a small amount of real quality in a few key positions.

I think Megson knows this, his frustrations are not hard to miss.

And he did have a team of crafters and grafters at West Brom that worked.

Graft and you get picked seems to be his ethos.

That is why players like COG, JOC and dare I say it...Semedo become un droppable under him.

However, players who have a more cultured way of playing. Players whose main qualities show when we are in possession. Players who can win us games- get dropped really easily. He gives them poo for not busting a gut when the reason they are not performing to their up most is because the sytem is not working for them.

He has no patience for players like Lines, Palmer, Bostock, Coke, Madine. If they do not charge around and be disciplined they are out on their ear. Problem is- these players need a bit of a licence to use their quality. They are rendered pointless if the ball just goes over their head.

We won't go up with a team of grafters alone. Megson needs to work around our quality players ( we don't have many) and find a way of making things fit for them. It is they who will get us out of this division.

But what megson praises is graft. That is the only currecny he seems to believe in. Not craft- Graft.

That is why we make hard work of every game we are in and why we will be very lucky to be promoted.

there's no excuse for not working. go watch barca, megson doesn't carry passengers when we don't have the ball and rightly so. no excuse for not working off the ball, unless injured

He has no patience for players like Lines, Palmer, Bostock, Coke, Madine.

In fairness, 4 of the 5 players you've named have played for us this week and none of those 4 have covered themselves in glory. We are not in a position where we can afford players to have an 'off' game.

JJ is another player who known for being a 'flair' player, yet he's played his way back into the team despite not being what you would describe a 'grafter'.

Guest wilyfox

if we're not prepared to buy promotion - and Mandaric isn't - then it will take time to achieve promotion. i'm sure we will secure a play-off place, but automatic promotion looks increasingly unlikely. regardless of points already on the board and 16 games to go, we simply don't play football worthy of a top-two place. we needed to replace a star player in January, what we did was sign a mediocre league one performer, and loan in a talented yet very inexperienced young man that will take time to deliver.

In fairness, 4 of the 5 players you've named have played for us this week and none of those 4 have covered themselves in glory. We are not in a position where we can afford players to have an 'off' game.

JJ is another player who known for being a 'flair' player, yet he's played his way back into the team despite not being what you would describe a 'grafter'.

I am a fan of JJ but it's worrying me that he is our ONLY creative outlet.

The way we play- and the way JJ plays is that when he gets the ball he gets his head down and cuts the rest of the team out.

sometimes he'll get a goal from it but it limits us.

To allow them to play you have to see a desire to play though, right?

I believe all our players have desire. No player would rather sit on the bench.

It all starts in the mind.

If the mind isn't right, then things won't click. It's not about desire, it's about being happy on the pitch.

If a player with ability is not happy......it is the MANAGERS problem to solve.

Today, Megson blamed his players. this is wrong in my opinion.

I believe all our players have desire. No player would rather sit on the bench.

It all starts in the mind.

If the mind isn't right, then things won't click. It's not about desire, it's about being happy on the pitch.

If a player with ability is not happy......it is the MANAGERS problem to solve.

Today, Megson blamed his players. this is wrong in my opinion.

Who's unhappy?

Anybody that isn't needs to take some self responsibility, grow some testicles and start making things happen for themselves

Who's unhappy?

Anybody that isn't needs to take some self responsibility, grow some testicles and start making things happen for themselves

Doesn't quite work like that unless yr name is david hirst or wayne rooney.

Not every player can just pick up the ball and work wonders.

Players like Madine rely on service. No good asking the to go chasing round in midfield trying to find the ball.

As usual you are just spouting clap trap. Worthy, simplistic nonsense.