Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

Regi scored a terrific brace on his debut. somedays he ran the show; other days, the show ran him. there seems to be a rule that Dutch players either fail at Wednesday (Blinker, Trustfull, Jonk, Esajas...) or take a fair time to get going (Sibon).

another player who was coming good as we sold him to Chelsea for not a great deal of money.

Yep. This thread's beginning to depress me.

Experiencing the anger at these transfers over again - but all at once!

The summer of 1994 was when it began, but for four or so years it could still have been rectified.

Lets get it right , we got to the finals in 1993 basically with Atkinsons team.

Francis then wanted to stamp his authority and started shipping out quality players and replacing with average. He had a reputation as a bit of task master at QPR when he disciplined a player for attending the birth of his child, and I think he was trying to say to the players im the boss not Atkinson anymore.

Even the players he did buy like Ian Taylor and Klas Ingesson then moronically played them out of position on the right wing. You will never get the best out of players by doing this

Pleat made some scandalous purchases and some shocking sales

Wilson , well what can I say. Di Canio and Carbone , prima donna's or not they were quality footballers and you need talelnt like that to stay in the top flight .

Onwards and upwards from here I hope !

Edited by NorfolkNChance

Guest SnookerOwl

Yep. This thread's beginning to depress me.

Experiencing the anger at these transfers over again - but all at once!

The summer of 1994 was when it began, but for four or so years it could still have been rectified.

Yep, 1994 was well and truly the start of the ship starting its slow sink :sleep:

18yrs later......

Lee Chapman, let go for peanuts to Chamois Niort.

Wasn't that the one where Wednesday told Forest a million, they said no. Chamois bought and due to some regulation we could only get 100K. In the end they couldn't afford it and Forest paid them a lot less than a million so they could pay us.

Sounded a lot like a brown paper bag and a service station scenario.

Has to be Di Canio.

Wasn't the fee around 1 milliion?

In the 90s we had the chance to establish ourselves as a proper Premiership force, at the very least a team who would finish solidly mid-table/top half most seasons.

Instead, due to lousy management both on and off the pitch, we fvcked it up right royally and can attribute much of it to why we ply out trade in the third tier of English football.

Thank christ that Milan came in.

1.75m.

Couldve probably got £7-10m for him before the whole incident.

1.75m.

Couldve probably got £7-10m for him before the whole incident.

Doubt it. Man U and Liverpool etc weren't interested when he became available.... and SAF was never one to miss a bargain.

that tugger pleat selling Hirsty yo try and prove a point, that worked out well for him didnt it

I think that was a decent bit of business in the end, didnt we get £2m for him? He retired shortly after?

Doubt it. Man U and Liverpool etc weren't interested when he became available.... and SAF was never one to miss a bargain.

SAF suddenly became interested a few years later after Di Canio sank them in the FA cup for the Hammers. Think he offered £4m then. Unless it was just a rumour.

Edited by Bluesteel

I think that was a decent bit of business in the end, didnt we get £2m for him? He retired shortly after?

Yep , a shadow of the former player. We did well out of Southampton.

it all took a turn for the worse with Wilson and Jewell. Atkinson did really well to keep us up; then those losers came to town...

I'm not sure how much I'd blame Jewell.

The damage had already been done and that wasn't that much in the way of money given to him to get us back up.

Lets get it right , we got to the finals in 1993 basically with Atkinsons team.

Francis then wanted to stamp his authority and started shipping out quality players and replacing with average. He had a reputation as a bit of task master at QPR when he disciplined a player for attending the birth of his child, and I think he was trying to say to the players im the boss not Atkinson anymore.

Even the players he did buy like Ian Taylor and Klas Ingesson then moronically played them out of position on the right wing. You will never get the best out of players by doing this

Pleat made some scandalous purchases and some shocking sales

Wilson , well what can I say. Di Canio and Carbone , prima donna's or not they were quality footballers and you need talelnt like that to stay in the top flight .

Onwards and upwards from here I hope !

Spot on there fella^^^^^^^^

I've always associated Francis with breaking up all Big Rons hard work.

If Big Ron hadnt f00ked off to Villa we would have stayed as a major force in the game.

Pi$$es me off every time i think about what could have been......oh well onwards and upwards.

Didnt we replace Nilsson with someone like Nolan?

These kind of things were how we got in debt, weve never been a big spending club. Instead of paying for real quality, we'd fork out not insignificant sums on average players hoping they'd play above themselves for some reason, or taking a gamble on a foreigner rather than paying that bit extra for someone really good. I remember we offered £2.5m for Larsson one summer, was that a token gesture or what?

All this coupled with not being able to sell a player properly then its no wonder we were in such a mess.

I may be wrong, but I thought we didn't have a choice with Stefanovic because he was denied a work permit. I might be getting mixed up with something else though.

Yes plus Dejan had improved immeasurably on his return to this country.

I may be wrong, but I thought we didn't have a choice with Stefanovic because he was denied a work permit. I might be getting mixed up with something else though.

No youre right about that, but I think in those days a work permit wasnt just about international caps, but how much he was played for his club. Dont think we played him enough, but I could be wrong, I was young at the time.

Spot on there fella^^^^^^^^

I've always associated Francis with breaking up all Big Rons hard work.

If Big Ron hadnt f00ked off to Villa we would have stayed as a major force in the game.

Pi$$es me off every time i think about what could have been......oh well onwards and upwards.

Francis was not a good man manager. But he did take us to 2 finals in 93 plus we had a real shot as being champions until a week or two before Leeds finally pipped ManU. He also signed and got the best out of Waddle and converted Warhurst from a talented but error prone defender into a goal machine. I think your summary of him is harsh.

I'm not sure how much I'd blame Jewell.

The damage had already been done and that wasn't that much in the way of money given to him to get us back up.

Jewell was in charge the first half of the season we were relegated from the prem. i agree that alot of the damage done was during Wilson's reign, but Jewell was a part of that era.