Real owls at hillsborough

Guest starrydave

According to the quiz at our local boozer this is correct.

The question was "which is the only bird that can see blue"

Not having a clue I obviously put "the owl" and it was correct.

Whether the quiz master is correct, I have no idea!

I think it's probably a bit of an urban myth. There are references to it, but nobody seems to have any scientific evidence. Given their natural habitats and their own plumages, I can't see a reason why they would ever need ot see blue anyway - especially the nocturnal owls.

http://www.pauldfros...uk/intro_o.html

They have trouble with red it seems.

We need to get some owls for the derby, get em divebombing the pigs. A dead mouse on every away seat should do it.

That link is interesting, and does back up what I said about the cone cells. It appears likely that they probably can't actually see the colours, but they can distinguish that there are differences between tones.

Edited by punkskaphil

Guest Bobs Brain Tonic

You could say that about any animal on earth that traditionally has sight.

lol :otsy: :biggrin:

Whoops should have multiquoted that, don't make no sense

Edited by Bobs Brain Tonic

Back in the late 70's there was a resident barn owl in the South roof right at the Lep end. It used to sleep all through the games ( it was dire ) then Big Jack arrived and turned things around

Yeah. Could hear it snoring sometimes. Trouble is, it only turned up for the big games, and all the sparrows and starlings who went to every game couldn't get tickets. Fvckin part timer !!

Guest Briscoe Inferno

United have 11 ***** running round, are you thinking of that?

- my mistake LMC..

and don't forget the one that flaps around the 18 yard box for an hour and a half.....

The Finnish National Team has the right idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMKGuoLGvo8

Mightily impressed:

Got a great engine on the evidence of that tireless box to box work, showed steely determination to avoid being tackled, was speedy down both flanks but also able to slow things down when he wanted. Looked happy around the goalmouth on the ground and in the air. A real crowd pleaser too!

Sign him up!

lol