Real owls at hillsborough

Guest starrydave

Really random this one, though I remember reading somewhere, maybe on here actually, that at some point in our clubs proud history there were real owls flown around hillsborough on matchdays. Did this ever happen or am I completely making this up?

I heard this to. Something about it being perched on the arm of the captain when the team walked out and then allowed to have a fly around Hillsborough just prior to kick-off. We should resurrect this custom.

Edited by shandypants

I'm currently reading an old book about us called Wednesday by Keith Farnsworth.

I'm sure it will mention it in there if it happened but i've not got that far yet. The chapters i've read so far we're still playing at Olive Grove.

So i'll let you know if he mentions an owl. Or Kivo will come on later and tell you instantly.

I'm currently reading an old book about us called Wednesday by Keith Farnsworth.

I'm sure it will mention it in there if it happened but i've not got that far yet. The chapters i've read so far we're still playing at Olive Grove.

So i'll let you know if he mentions an owl. Or Kivo will come on later and tell you instantly.

good book that read it many years ago ...and it doesnt mention any owls flying around

Remember reading an interview with Bert McGee in the 80's when he mentioned that Hillsborough had recently acquired a resident owl (not sure if it was the 79/80 season or the 83/84 season) and he considered it good luck (in ancient times an owl was regarded as an ill omen).

I'm not too sure about that. Owls have hardly any cone cells in their eyes so they can't see much colour, if any at all. Their vision is essentially monochrome.

According to the quiz at our local boozer this is correct.

The question was "which is the only bird that can see blue"

Not having a clue I obviously put "the owl" and it was correct.

Whether the quiz master is correct, I have no idea!