Madine/O'Grady - does it work?

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

The thing is Defenders are always looking and wondering where Lowe is when he plays, he is always moving, playing on the shoulder..

It's certainly easier to mark O'Grady/Madine.

I don't think it will make one ounce of difference...Megson will play Madine and O'Grady..

It's really starting to wee wee me off!!

I think everybody keeps forgetting the shift COG puts in.

Lowe will struggle if we continue to play like we do - hoofing it to the front two. I know were direct football, but bloody hell - that first half today was just so one dimensional at times it was unbelievable.

Lowe needs two wingers pinging balls into the box. HOPEFULLY Jones can provide that.

Guest Sheff Owl

How about putting O Grady out wide?

When he bought O'Grady he said he won't play him out wide.

He said something like we would have to have some serious problems to play O'Grady out wide (something like that anyway).

Guest Sheff Owl

In fairness we do now have some serious problems in that position with BM going back.

It won't happen. Megson seems quite stubborn, i don't even think we will see Madine/Lowe (which we are yet to see start)..

I just want to see something different, hoofing it up to Madine/O'Grady is not helping anyone.

It means you have two prolific strikers rather than one. strikers are there to score goals and they will be judged on that factor.

I've always preferred the idea that like defenders are there to collectively stop goals going in without attention-grabbing individual statistics it is similar at the other end of the pitch. Of course it's better not to have to rely on one man to get more than his fair share but history has been full of partnerships where one creates chances rather than takes them himself (Henry and Bergkamp springs to mind as one-sided yet successful). As long as the goals are coming, I don't think it really matters too much where they are coming from. Naturally if you are up front then opportunities will come to you and a decent proportion should be taken. But when the return is as low as it is in O'Grady's case (just 2 in 16 league starts) then questions will naturally follow. Part of our problem is that defenders are chipping in with more than should be expected of them. Reda Johnson and Rob Jones have scored as many as Morrison, Lowe and O'Grady combined. That's not healthy in the long term.

Edited by DJMortimer

Guest Home_of_Hirst!

I've always preferred the idea that like defenders are there to collectively stop goals going in without attention-grabbing individual statistics it is similar at the other end of the pitch. Of course it's better not to have to rely on one man to get more than his fair share but history has been full of partnerships where one creates chances rather than takes them himself (Henry and Bergkamp springs to mind as one-sided yet successful). As long as the goals are coming, I don't think it really matters too much where they are coming from. Naturally if you are up front then opportunities will come to you and a decent proportion should be taken. But when the return is as low as it is in O'Grady's case (just 2 in 16 league starts) then questions will naturally follow. Part of our problem is that defenders are chipping in with more than should be expected of them. Reda Johnson and Rob Jones have scored as many as Morrison, Lowe and O'Grady combined. That's not healthy in the long term.

I do agree with you, but i would say in most peoples cases, when we sign a striker they will look straight to there goal scoring record. I know i do. It probably is wrong, as you say strikers have to do more than get goals. I wouldn' have brought this up if i thought O'Grady was contributing but i dont think he is anymore. I thought he started of really well but it is time for a change now.

I do agree with you, but i would say in most peoples cases, when we sign a striker they will look straight to there goal scoring record. I know i do. It probably is wrong, as you say strikers have to do more than get goals. I wouldn' have brought this up if i thought O'Grady was contributing but i dont think he is anymore. I thought he started of really well but it is time for a change now.

I said a few weeks ago that O'Grady's lack of goals would become a focus of attention as soon as results went against us. As I've said before, I'm not overly concerned about having two prolific strikers as long as both are contributing. But O'Grady's return is terrible, no matter how well he holds the ball up or intimidates defenders. It's pretty embarrassing to have two defenders doubling your output over the course of half a season.

Guest Home_of_Hirst!

I said a few weeks ago that O'Grady's lack of goals would become a focus of attention as soon as results went against us. As I've said before, I'm not overly concerned about having two prolific strikers as long as both are contributing. But O'Grady's return is terrible, no matter how well he holds the ball up or intimidates defenders. It's pretty embarrassing to have two defenders doubling your output over the course of half a season.

Agreed, we have one lets hope someone else steps up. Don't care if its O'Grady, lowe or morrison as long as they help towards promotion.

Guest owl9257

Can't believe some of the comments on here. Cog holds the ball up well and runs his gonads off. If you only pump the ball forward like we have done most of the season and he's surrounded by defenders what do you expect. We are playing like headless chickens! As we saw today when JJ came on and attacked down the line they couldn't handle it. Why can't players overlap and get behind and alter the delivery into the box and spread the play, we have had too many players hiding today ffs, one of the best jobs you could dream of and we get a performance like that! Cog would always start for me, he might never get you loads of goals but he makes opportunities and what you see you get- an honest, hard working player.

Guest Teetowl

Reda, R Jones and Madine seem to be our main people for goals.

Speakers volumes. How can the midfield have any bearing on a game when they just get bypassed by us playing head tennis or by defenders smashing hopeful balls 40 yards up field and hoping for the best?

Yes were shipping goals but there is only really charlton in this league that arnt. Problem is that everyone else in the top half of the table seem to be able to score for fun.

O'Grady was very poor. Very good at one thing which is holding it up, offers no urgency, no goal threat and dwells on the ball way too much. Lowe and Madine are a much better front two pairing.

Perhaps he's not good enough in front of goal because he doesn't get much service?