Time Travel February 1991

What a day, what a season. I only missed 4 games home and away that season - the memories will last forever.

Hirst - the best striker to ever play for Wednesday in my lifetime

I missed two that season, the away leg of the League cup tie at Brentford and the away game at Bristol City when the snow was really bad and not many fans got there at all.

I remember going out on the Friday night and on entering the Limit the weather was dry and when i came out 2-3 hours later there was deep snow. I couldnt get a taxi and had to walk home I was f00kin freezin. Bus was leaving at around 8 am and i couldnt get the car up the road to get to meet it, but the bus never got there either, I was gutted the only League match I missed all season.

I was there that day. Dad and I were just laughing by the end because King and Worthington and Harkes and Wilson did that free kick routine about 10 times and Chelsea kept getting caught out.

It wasnt just that game though was it. We could never understand why teams would fall for it every week, we used to wee wee ourselves.

At that time who'd have thought the poo we were to go through I thought we were going to dominate the 90s

We didn't do bad until the mid 90s

Without doubt the best time to be a ten year old kid learning about The Wednesday from your dad, uncles and older cousins. Loved being a Wednesday fan around this time. Hirsty was my hero. I had a vhs called The Will to Win, must have burnt it out with the amount of times I watched it.

Edited by mrgund

Thanks goldensmoke a truly memorable read. I was there and can almost smell the air. Our coach ran a gaunlet of chelsea pubs on the way out and we had a collection of bar stools, crates and scaffolding poles with till LFE :rolleyes:

'Never grow old' loved that line mate...absolutely loved it

Great days - and they'll be back again one day!!! We were on a coach towards the back of the 98 coach convoy out of London, which were left to fend for themselves - we too had to dodge anything the cockneys could get their hands on to throw at us!!! One of my abiding memories of that day was how little atmosphere could be generated at the old Stamford Bridge - especially when you compared it to Hillsborough a few days later - or Coventry in the quarter - or Derby - or in fact any other away ground in the country!!!

Brilliant read - it was just an absolutely mental time to be a Wednesday fan - the whole season was so memorable (I still can't believe we didn't win the division that year) - even little things like the fact that we didn't have a sponsor that year made it special (apart from the final) - so it was just like the lads were just playing for Wednesday and Wednesday only (silly I know!) :unsure:

Thanks goldensmoke a truly memorable read. I was there and can almost smell the air. Our coach ran a gaunlet of chelsea pubs on the way out and we had a collection of bar stools, crates and scaffolding poles with till LFE :rolleyes:

'Never grow old' loved that line mate...absolutely loved it