Time Travel February 1991

Sounds similar to me, as I missed 5.

Swindon League Cup Replay (A) - only game I didn't go to by choice, was p*ssed off we drew the home game

Coventry Qtr Final (A) - couldn't get a ticket

Hull City (A) - car broke down on the way

Plymouth (A) - couldn't get off work

Oldham Ath (A) - couldn't get a ticket

I missed Bristol City (actually set off and got caught out by a massive snow storm on way do turned back), Cambridge in FA Cup, Plymouth and Portsmouth.

Nearly missed the 4-2 defeat at Millwall. We were stuck in a jam on the m1 till about 1pm just outside Chessie but carried on. Arrived, 2-0 up just as Roly was being carried off. And then saw us collapse. Grrr.

Thought we'd got revenge in the cup but it wasn't to be (another 4-4 game).

As well as the game I can remember the way out after the game.

Coppers lining the street as they marched us down the road to our coaches etc.

Chelski fans lobbing abuse as well as anything else they could find over the top of the coppers!!

Cracking day

Great memories there. Terrific article GoldenSmoke. You a professional? :sleep:

Thanks Utah.

Sadly not. I always thought I'd love to write about some of those days we had. Although it makes you want to put about 200 of these in a book, I guess its been done many times including 'I Hate Football' recently about Wednesday. If anyone wants any more from the past, and there are dozens to write about, I'd be happy to post them.

Jeez, what recall. i remember the game in general terms, along with a load more games, but not in that fine detail. I remember the hassle trying to get in and out and most of all the end we were on. Like a huge greyhound track sweeping round. A bit like the old away end at Maine road. (and equally dodgy). Great article.

Brilliant post that one mate.

Brought back some real memories for me.

I'm trying to wrack my brains what they played on Tannoy at half time?? i do remember they played a Doors single,possibly 'Riders on the Storm'?

Anyway the build up to the weekend was a nightmare for me.Was working in Wakefield at the time,used to commute every day from Dinnington.

Well a few days before the game i received a phone call from Claude,a friend of my Dad's saying the Police had rung our houser(no mobile phones then) saying my car had been stolen but they had recovered it.

FERK ME!! WHAT ABOUT MY TICKETS?!!!!!!! Concern for mi Vauxhall Cavalier passed me by.

He didn't have a clue that i had purchased 3 tickets and left 'em in the glove compartment.When i got to the scene they were still in there...PHEW!

Anyway i had to hire a Rover 216 and we travelled down on the Sunday and parked at Wembley then caught tube to Stamford Bridge.

I remember Hirsty being awesome that game.

Had the game recorded for us for when we got back and even Gordon McQueen was lavishly praising the Cudworth Marvel and the team in general saying in his Scottish accent "I think Chelsea are deluded if they think they are coming back from that"

Great times indeed and i am reflecting on them more and more these last few months as Megson has this Giant rekindled once more.

Great to see loads more new 'old school' posters on Owlstalk too.

Edited by Pulsar

Anyone remember Southend away years ago. Think it was a bank holiday. Loads stayed all night and it was totally mental. There was some parade through the town that night, bit like Lord Mayors show or something and Wednesdayites were hanging off floats and generally causing total chaos. Went on all night till returned to coaches at midnight. Seemed to be like that all the time round that time.

Anyone remember Southend away years ago. Think it was a bank holiday. Loads stayed all night and it was totally mental. There was some parade through the town that night, bit like Lord Mayors show or something and Wednesdayites were hanging off floats and generally causing total chaos. Went on all night till returned to coaches at midnight. Seemed to be like that all the time round that time.

First ever game in the third division, August 1975?

Absolutely brilliant OP. I paced around my garden listening to the radio (I'd given up smoking but smoked at least 6 cigars during the commentary) then enjoyed one of the best and barmiest nights ever at Hillsborough for the second leg. After so many years of famine we were going to Wembley (Wembley) - it was wonderful.

Didn't that Tiger eneded up wearing a pair of pants ?

Certainly did, A blue pair we found in the gutter near the 'Green Man' . I took it in to Wembley for the cup final , I was sat on the end of the row so it sat in the aisle and watched us beat Man utd.

Edited by Beast of Boulogne

Guest Go For It Owl

Didn't that Tiger eneded up wearing a pair of pants ?

Certainly did, A blue pair we found in the gutter near the 'Green Man' . I took it in to Wembley for the cup final , I was sat on the end of the row so it sat in the aisle and watched us beat Man utd.

HAHA !

Nice TACHE Beast of B !

Here's yer culprit........

tiger1001.jpg

Great OP, I went to a few matches with that crew in late 80s I think. Went to Norwich away with them on a night match and the guy at the front (crouching) jumped off the minibus and broke his ankle, still see him limping at matches now