Yew Owls.

Guest moonraker

You'll see few better examples of mismanagement at Wednesday than the Di Canio incident.

Sad thing is, such mismanagement then festered for another dozen years.

We're only just emerging from it, but my, what a price we've had to pay as fans.

well said Sir

Didn't we sell him to West Ham for £1 million?!?!

The mind boggles.

Not sure we got that much for him

Never should we have let him go! tbh i can't blame the man , All wee wee tail made it ten times worse than what it was , And wilson is an idiot anyway the club should have stood by him ,End of

Well said Sir

Edited by darra

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

snapback.pngSiJ, on 04 December 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

Didn't we sell him to West Ham for £1 million?!?!

The mind boggles.

Celtic i think may be wrong.

No we sold him to West Ham for £2.5 million. I can remember at the time, Harry Redknapp saying we bought him in the January sales.

One of the worst mistakes Wednesday made as a club was not standing by him.

Think Ferguson would have turned his back on him?

I'd giving a standing ovation every time.

Wilson was told what to do. It was just an opportunity to get him off the wage bill. Confirmation that Richards was a tw4t "I'll make this club bigger than manchester United ever were" Ooops he got cold feet. How did a man like that rise to the top of the pile in the FA ?

Sad days we all knew then we could forget our assault on the premiership and Europe. Been a long time in the dark but we're on our way back !

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Guest bigblue

short memories!

It was sod all to do with whether Danny backed him over the pushing incident (which he actually did when he publically stated that there was no intent and that Di Canio had simply allowed his passion to spill over in a show of Italian flamboyance - or words to that effect.)

It was about Paulo buggering off to Italy and refusing to come back after claiming to have spiralled into a dark world of depression. HE made the decision to leave, not Wilson.

Should Danny have accused Alcock of being a diving lightweight jessy? Maybe. But nobody can deny that he did lay his hands on the ref. His ban took the lack of intent into account. Surely he would've been banned from English football indefinitely if it had been judged that he'd thrown the ref to the ground?!

So it was HIS reaction to the situation, being a big girl's blouse, that forced the club's hand on the matter.

It would be handy to have someone else to blame it on. That way you could love Paulo ad the player without anything spoiling the rose-tinted view of him. Unfortunately as a man, he was (and arguably still is), like a spoiled child, a proper selfish diva with no thought for us whatsoever! It feels a bit like telling a kid that Santa isn't real, but sorry, he was massively in the wrong and screwed us (the fans) over big style!

This is why he was booed last time he was at Hillsborough, and just why he should be again!

...my memory is very long and very accurate. He was asked to keep away from the club. The club made no attempt to contact him in Italy and the lack of support from within the club made it very obvious he was being hung out to dry because Dave Richards wanted to keep his nose clean as he was cosying up to the FA because of opportunities there....we'll not go into the 'business going down the pan..'

He may or may not have wanted to leave..to be honest i actually think he would have ended up in London whatever would have happened...but the club screwed up big time, and not just with him, when it came to looking after potentially valuable player assets.

Francis Jeffers and a few other after him screwed us (the fans) over but for attitude and work rate and skill he was up there with the best of them for giving more than 100%. Screwed us over?...never in a million years...

short memories!

It was sod all to do with whether Danny backed him over the pushing incident (which he actually did when he publically stated that there was no intent and that Di Canio had simply allowed his passion to spill over in a show of Italian flamboyance - or words to that effect.)

It was about Paulo buggering off to Italy and refusing to come back after claiming to have spiralled into a dark world of depression. HE made the decision to leave, not Wilson.

Should Danny have accused Alcock of being a diving lightweight jessy? Maybe. But nobody can deny that he did lay his hands on the ref. His ban took the lack of intent into account. Surely he would've been banned from English football indefinitely if it had been judged that he'd thrown the ref to the ground?!

So it was HIS reaction to the situation, being a big girl's blouse, that forced the club's hand on the matter.

It would be handy to have someone else to blame it on. That way you could love Paulo ad the player without anything spoiling the rose-tinted view of him. Unfortunately as a man, he was (and arguably still is), like a spoiled child, a proper selfish diva with no thought for us whatsoever! It feels a bit like telling a kid that Santa isn't real, but sorry, he was massively in the wrong and screwed us (the fans) over big style!

This is why he was booed last time he was at Hillsborough, and just why he should be again!

As I remember it the club took the decision to suspend Di Canio before the Arsenal game had even finished!

Of course he was at fault for what he did but the club were happy to see him go back to Italy and he was finished with us as soon as he had gone down the tunnel that day.

To say he had no care for the club is harsh. The Alcock incident only came about as a result of him getting involved with Vieira and Keown after a foul on someone else- he was trying to stand up for his team mates.

I think he would probably have moved on anyway at the end of that season - he was clearly a class above the players we were attracting at the time and the way Wilson managed our better players spoke volumes.

Guest bigblue

true, we've been screwed over by many different people in many different ways. Jeffers, Richards, Jonk, DeBilde...etc and I'm sorry to say it, so did Paulo Di Canio!

your memory is playing tricks I think - unless PDC told you that little story personally, it isn't what was said or reported at the time.

Why would the club need any sort of "excuse" to sell a player? If it was because they were to accept a low bid a few months later, what gain did the club make in letting him go for a cut price? Surely they could've moved him on without any of that? Why tell him to stay in Italy and make some rubbish up about depression (that came from a spokesman representing PDC not the club by the way)? It just doesn't stack up!

true, we've been screwed over by many different people in many different ways. Jeffers, Richards, Jonk, DeBilde...etc and I'm sorry to say it, so did Paulo Di Canio!

your memory is playing tricks I think - unless PDC told you that little story personally, it isn't what was said or reported at the time.

Why would the club need any sort of "excuse" to sell a player? If it was because they were to accept a low bid a few months later, what gain did the club make in letting him go for a cut price? Surely they could've moved him on without any of that? Why tell him to stay in Italy and make some rubbish up about depression (that came from a spokesman representing PDC not the club by the way)? It just doesn't stack up!

It does if you're Dave Richards.

Guest bigblue

As I remember it the club took the decision to suspend Di Canio before the Arsenal game had even finished!

Of course he was at fault for what he did but the club were happy to see him go back to Italy and he was finished with us as soon as he had gone down the tunnel that day.

To say he had no care for the club is harsh. The Alcock incident only came about as a result of him getting involved with Vieira and Keown after a foul on someone else- he was trying to stand up for his team mates.

I think he would probably have moved on anyway at the end of that season - he was clearly a class above the players we were attracting at the time and the way Wilson managed our better players spoke volumes.

He showed passion for every club he played for and now manages. So let's not mistake that for giving a crap about the fans. He loves himself too much to give us a second thought.

He's like our Tevez - No, I'm not playing, you can't make me (teddy out of pram).

T055ER!!!

Edited by bigblue

He showed passion for every club he played for and now manages. So let's not mistake that for giving a crap about the fans. He loves himself too much to give us a second thought.

He's like our Tevez - No, I'm not playing, you can't make me (teddy out of pram).

T055ER!!!

Yes he showed passion when playing for us which is far more than many with far less ability have done since then to say the least.

Hardly comparable with Tevez who has spat his dummy out because he is no longer the main man and couldn't get a game for a successful team. The club made little or no effort to have Di Canio play for us again.

Guest bigblue

Yes he showed passion when playing for us which is far more than many with far less ability have done since then to say the least.

Hardly comparable with Tevez who has spat his dummy out because he is no longer the main man and couldn't get a game for a successful team. The club made little or no effort to have Di Canio play for us again.

As I say, many different people have fooked us over in many different ways. Some by not showing any passion on the pitch, PDC was by spitting his dummy out.

He refused to play for us, so we were forced to sell him on for a reduced price - hence the comparison to the Tevez situation. Not exactly the same, but both involve mardy premadonna's with little or no care for the clubs/fans that pay/paid their wages!

Edited by bigblue

Guest bigblue

Didn't we suspend him though?

If we didn't then maybe he would have come back.

He pushed a referee over! Even if it was a pathetic fall and he hardly touched him, he still raised his hands and made contact.

So he was always going to get suspended. There'd be something wrong in the game if you made the rules suit depending on how skillful the player happens to be. He thought he was too good to have any respect for anyone (ref/club/team-mates/supporters). Shocking attitude!

He was like an even mardier JJ, but one with actual footballing ability!

Bigblue, you questioned how it stacked up for Dave Richards. Of course it did. The whole business was a joke. Dave Richards quit the sinking ship that was Wednesday shortly afterwards for "career development" as he took up the job as FA Premier League chairman.

He took the stance against PDC to win favour with the game's power brokers, by siding with the establishment. He was hardly going to rock the boat if he had football ambitions outside of Hillsborough.

Dave and Danny Wilson were as bad as each other at Wednesday and collectively put this club in the mess it is in today. Danny didn't have a clue how to handle the big name "fancy dans" as he called them namely Di Canio and Carbone, as he would rather have a team of honest, hard working players such as Atherton, Nolan, Booth and Danny Sonner! They might have worked hard, but sadly that was it, and without a bit of flair you get nowhere. The sacking of Big Ron was the beginning of the end, the end of the end was the Di Canio incident/lack of support from the two people who should have.

A good chapter to read in the Di Canio autobiography is the section where he makes a comparison between David Pleat and Big Ron. The Italian had a big bust-up with Atkinson away at Bolton, where the boss was questioning his commitment and involvement away from home, and Di Canio comes back at Big Ron calling him a part-time manager, even though he had massive respect for him, putting him in the same category as Lippi.

The Monday morning comes around, and despite almost coming to blows, Atkinson makes Di Canio the captain for the next game, and he walks away with the Man of the Match award and helps himself to a hat-trick!

Similarly Manchester United got it right in the same way with Cantona, which was far worse, and look how he paid the club and Fergie back!

Guest Triplej2

He showed a moment of stupidity/madness pushing alcock over but so flipping what??

We should have publicly chastised him (for the FA's sake) but privately backed him to the hilt and had a right good laugh about pushing that pathetic tw@t to the ground but what did we do? we treated like a naughty little boy. I don't blame paulo one little bit for wanting out.

This was a perfect example of the pathetic thinking and rumblewittery which sent us into a tailspin from which we're only just coming out of. I hate those small minded fookers who ruined our club.