Sorry Big Guns, but JOC is popular with those who matter.

Guest intercity0wl

Remember who he replaced?

Glen Whelan. :rolleyes:

He also kept young sean mac out of the team when the same player had been outstanding the season before. Guess what? we got relegated.

Irvine stuck with him and his 'no-nonsense work ethic' and it cost him his job. we finished mid table league 1.

Now Megson is doing the same and it will cost us promotion- even though we have some of the best players in the league in marshall/ madine and semedo

Despite what he's saying in the press now though, I really do think that Megson is well aware of JOC's limitations and that if we're going to make any signings in January it will be a wide midfield player.

Don't worry, mate, your pain will be over in January.

He also kept young sean mac out of the team when the same player had been outstanding the season before. Guess what? we got relegated.

Irvine stuck with him and his 'no-nonsense work ethic' and it cost him his job. we finished mid table league 1.

Now Megson is doing the same and it will cost us promotion- even though we have some of the best players in the league in marshall/ madine and semedo

It's a bit harsh to compare JOC to Whelan. Whelan was one of the few jems we had over the last decade.

I would prefer to see Palmer start over JOC, but clearly JOC brings something to the team.

Those old enough will remember the 1981 ashes series. When Botham resigned the captaincy, they brought back Mike Brearley to take over. As a player, Brearley was no way near test standard, he was an awful test batter - but the team was better for having him in it. I know it is slightly different as he contributed as captain - but Megson was hinting that JOC's presence on the field seems to help the other 10 players - which is what Brearley did.

If we are still having this debate come Christmas, I'll be very happy, because it will mean that JOC has stayed in the team and we have picked up plenty of points.

Personally I dont agree with your very well extablished stance but we are all entitled to our opinions. The thing now is that nothing new is being said so whats the point?

OK so now you are saying Interesting Irvine lost his job due to JOC??? - not the fact that he just couldnt motivate the players?

I agree with you that JOC isn't what we need there ideally but he is a useful squad player and at the moment JJ looks woeful, Palmer should be introduced in my opinion.

I am not a huge JOC fan but our fans booing him is totally unacceptable and he does bring something to the team (when needed).

Personally I dont agree with your very well extablished stance but we are all entitled to our opinions. The thing now is that nothing new is being said so whats the point?

Try telling Mr Cameron and Mr Miliband that - oooh bit of politics - stick to team politics please lol

I take your point but he is not an inspirational captain and if he inspires the side so much, why keep withdrawing him early? I was one of the few who agreed with the manager giving JOC a new contract, he is not as bad as some make out, and as a squad player, yes he had a role to play By no means though, did I expect to find him occupying one of the creative positions in the team. The midfield already contains two largely defensive midfielders, why the hell do we need another one?

I'm sorry, but that's bullshit.

Where is this fan pressure to drop JOC? a couple of threads on Owlstalk is not "fan pressure"

Megson clearly plays him for a reason, but I don't believe its because he wants to prove a point to the fans.

I think reaction from the Hillsborough crowd often tells it's own story. Plus they usually ring into Football Heaven too.

If JOC starts tomorrow and we lose Owltalk will go into meltdown.

FACT.

I don't hear many people asking for JOC to be dropped because we lost to Carlisle on Tuesday ... nor do we / they hold him responsible for it.

Just the fact we feel we have better options in that area that need to be explored more often, n the fact Megson feels as though he needs to justify his existence in the Starting XI tells its own story.

Edited by Euse

JOC is embarrassing. He's too small and lacks strength to hold off oponents. He offers nothing going forward and is 100% our weakest link. He should never have been given another contract. he's a joke. He shouldn't be playing in the centre (in his so called best position) nevermind out wide. His game was based purely on closing players down and tackling and now his legs have gone he can't do that anymore. We have many other players who should be selected ahead of him and ones that don't need subbing all the time.

We are currently only playing down one side of the pitch and our opponents have worked this out. At Carlisle their No 12 kept peeling off from central positions to that side of the filed to ensure thay had 3 players up against JOC and Bennett. Numerous times he was struggling to get back and left us completely exposed. With Bennett being a poor deputy for Reda were lucky not to concede in the first half. Megson is doing a great job but this is a real blind spot and he needs to address it quickly.

I don't hear many people asking for JOC to be dropped because we lost to Carlisle on Tuesday ... nor do we / they hold him responsible for it.

Just the fact we feel we have better options in that area that need to be explored more often, n the fact Megson feels as though he needs to justify his existence in the Starting XI tells its own story.

I'm not asking for JOC to be dropped at all, I trust GM to make the right decisions.

All I'm saying is the doom and gloom merchants will be out in full force - for the record I think we'll win.

Guest bigblue

the appearance of so many threads, the need for Megson to defend this particular decision, the reaction of fans during games, the numerous FH callers, all add up to the same thing...

Including JOC in the starting XI is clearly an emotive subject. This can only be for one reason - his inclusion is controversial because the vast majority of fans agree that he's nowhere near good enough.

Megson may well be straying towards the whole coaching badges debacle. I hope he doesn't end up in that place. The only ways for that to be avoided are for us to continue picking up enough points and actually get promoted, or for him to drop JOC. One thing's for absolutely certain, JOC is flippingabysmal and won't suddenly turn into a good player.

I fear that neither will happen, and we'll end up losing the playoff final to either the Pigs or MK Dons - horrendous thought!

So, in short, JOC OUT!!!!!!

Edited by bigblue

Not exactly breaking news is it still the wrong decision to play joc but megson will live and die by his decisions in the end

exactly, megson only brings unnecessary pressure upon the team and himself by playing a player who is not as good as some others are who are not playing.

we have massive games ahead of us, and are in need of our first Xl to tackle these games.

if and when reversals come (as the other night), one piece of rhetoric you will hear repeated is the joc issue...

it's interesting, whilst i like what i've seen of megson and his ways, on this issue i think he's wrong.

however as some point out he is the manager, and will rightly pick the side, but as paying customers we have the right to an opinion (as do the happy c's)...

my opinion, is by the end of the season joc will be proved not to be good enough (as he's already reached that level now), the question is how many points will it have cost us...

some of our current side are already avoiding him as an outlet or option during our possession, it's like playing a man down...

JOC is embarrassing. He's too small and lacks strength to hold off oponents. He offers nothing going forward and is 100% our weakest link. He should never have been given another contract. he's a joke. He shouldn't be playing in the centre (in his so called best position) nevermind out wide. His game was based purely on closing players down and tackling and now his legs have gone he can't do that anymore. We have many other players who should be selected ahead of him and ones that don't need subbing all the time.

We are currently only playing down one side of the pitch and our opponents have worked this out. At Carlisle their No 12 kept peeling off from central positions to that side of the filed to ensure thay had 3 players up against JOC and Bennett. Numerous times he was struggling to get back and left us completely exposed. With Bennett being a poor deputy for Reda were lucky not to concede in the first half. Megson is doing a great job but this is a real blind spot and he needs to address it quickly.

well said, can you imagine playing full back with joc in front of you for cover, and as an outlet.... :st2: :ohmy::angry:

every other word would have an F in it, and you'd just launch it long all the time...

he's not good enough, we, he, (and for me) megson know this, the main worry is the division is seeing it now, and acting upon it...

I've always been one for not changing a winning team or a team that is actually playing well. Wednesday have been winning and playing well since James O'Connor came into the team against Yeovil Town.

However, I believe Wednesday would have picked up at least the same number of points during this period, with or without O'Connor. Why? Because from the games I've seen (missed just Hartlepool and Carlisle) O'Connor has added very little. Time after time he's given the ball away, his man has escaped his attention too often and too easily, we've been over run on his side of the pitch so many times I've lost count (pretty sure at least 5 of the goals we've conceded in this spell have come his side of the pitch), in attacking positions he's made the wrong decisions, he always drifts into the centre leaving MASSIVE gaps for our full back to cover. There is much, much more but I can't be arsed.

To sum it up, O'Connor has been carried by the rest of the team during this excellent run and has in fact contributed very little - for me he's just been a 'body' on the pitch; just like when a team has used all three subs and then pick up an injury and the injured player just hangs around trying to make a nuisance of themselves, but not being effective at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love O'Connor's professionalism, commitment, desire and that he'll run all day for you and do whatever you ask of him - but so could I and thousands in the stands - but he's just not up to playing at the level he needs to aid the team in a positive manner.

That all said, he's not a winger and Megson is asking him to do that job. Can we really blame O'Connor for just carrying out his manager's instructions? Of course not. Megson clearly plays him for a reason, unfortunately I can't see that reason nor can I see what positive effect O'Connor's inclusion (especially on the wing) has on the team/result.