Some good stats from the derby by nobody in particular in the telegraph

Some actual stats by our Alan and probably the most decent thing he has written in years !

• Long balls back to front - 17 by each team
  • Goal Keeper throwing the ball out - SWFC 7 SUFC 3
  • Hoofs out of defence - SWFC 25 - SUFC 38

Next time a blade tells us that were a long ball team, you can just shove some detailed information back at them.

Long ball my arse !

tbf, anyone with at least one brain cell and a decent pair of eyes could have seen that.

The majority of Sheffield United fans deluded themselves into thinking they did this and we did that because to be quite honest, if we had not been as wasteful as we were, with the clear cut chances we had, it could have been 4 or 5.

Guest totemowl

They were doing what they've always done - protesting that they aren't a long ball team when there's clear evidence to the contrary. Never changes.

tbf, anyone with at least one brain cell and a decent pair of eyes could have seen that.

The majority of Sheffield United fans deluded themselves into thinking they did this and we did that because to be quite honest, if we had not been as wasteful as we were, with the clear cut chances we had, it could have been 4 or 5.

You give united fans FAR to much credit............

agree 100%. they tried to cover up their deficiencies by blaming us!!! i think the fact that we had our long throw secret weapon (when it was required most, at 2-0 down) made their tiny minds believe we were 'long ball'. truth is,when they were penned in their own area for much of the 2nd half,the only way out for them was the 'hoof'.

It just goes to show the power of a reputation. Under Irvine we played the most dour, negative football in our history (probably). This season, you (those that get to games) have commented on how enjoyable seeing the Owls has become under Megson AND that some of the football has been good AND on the deck. Yet everyone that plays us comes out with the same drivel : "we coped well with the long ball", "they are a physical side" blah, blah.

For some reason Megson has a bad reputation in the game, despite amazing stats / success at WBA and Bolton; Bolton's gradual demise under Coyle seems to strengthen the view that Megson did a good job.

I actually think that defeated managers and agent Wilson simply used the "long ball" statements to avoid admitting that they were out played. It is an easy excuse for them to peddle. Long may it continue.

It just goes to show the power of a reputation. Under Irvine we played the most dour, negative football in our history (probably). This season, you (those that get to games) have commented on how enjoyable seeing the Owls has become under Megson AND that some of the football has been good AND on the deck. Yet everyone that plays us comes out with the same drivel : "we coped well with the long ball", "they are a physical side" blah, blah. For some reason Megson has a bad reputation in the game, despite amazing stats / success at WBA and Bolton; Bolton's gradual demise under Coyle seems to strengthen the view that Megson did a good job. I actually think that defeated managers and agent Wilson simply used the "long ball" statements to avoid admitting that they were out played. It is an easy excuse for them to peddle. Long may it continue.

spot on summary!

It's a very interesting article, if slightly pointless.

I think to judge something like this you need the stats for a good few games or even a whole season as oppose to a derby match. Being 2-0 up after 20mins in a derby inevitably means your style of play will (and arguably should) slightly alter. Although i thought United played some nice stuff in the final 3rd, but resorted to the long ball in defensive circumstances.

Personally, I've never really understood the stigma attached to long ball. If you do it right (and in a non 'aggresive' manner) it can be exciting to watch. For instance MK Dons were at the lane on Tuesday, for 75% of the game they were a pleasure to watch but at times it left me thinking "Oh for God's sake get on with it".. where's the fun in 4 defenders and a goalkeeper passing it about to each other when your 2-1 down with 10mins to go?!

Attractiveness isn't anything to do with style. It's all about effectiveness and tempo. I've seen Donny play their 'passing' game many times, and the times i've seen them they've had no tempo, they were even playing with no wingers at one point (4 CMs), just so slow and painful. I think it was Gary Neville who said he couldn't believe the stick that Stoke City get about their style, he said Sir Alex couldn't believe it either, you've got to play to your strengths.

MK Dons were style over substance at S6, and I loved the fact that their over playing led to a goal when they were trying to be Barcelona in their own half. Also made me laugh how their pretty football was undone at Oldham by a long ball, a keeper slipping over and a tap in for our favourite square headed Kosovan. Similarly to the above I remember when we were beating Donny 1-0 at S6 and Sullivan took a short goal kick in the last minute, they ended up losing the ball and we kept it in the corner for the rest of injury time, so naive.

If anyone turns up thinking we're just a long ball team then they've already underestimated us, long may it continue. I hope opposing managers keep whinging their way out of Hillsborough with 0 points!

As for the derby game, United were lucky to be 2-0 at half time and had plenty of the ball after the 2 goals. Second half was a mirror image with us having all of the ball and not doing much (apart from the 2 goals). We look like similar teams now tbh, where we finish might depend on whether we can keep the on loan wingers.

But they beat us by a clear 13 long balls.