megson out

I think his signings are definitely better. We have not seen enough of O'Grady and Lowe yet but they have a track record that says they should improve the team

If you think the home games have been long ball then you have been watching a different team to me.We have tried to play properly , Semedo and Prutton can keep the ball and we have resorted to long ball only when we start to panic.

Every team in the league play 451 at some time in the season/game , look at the ones who come to Hillsboro and play it. The secret is learning to play it properly and that takes time. Not half a dozen games with new signings still bedding in.

I agree with you to some extent on the cup games but if we had played a strong team and lost say Semedo to a long term injury we would have been the first to moan so he can't win on this one. I think he was wrong in what he did with the subs at Bradford as it made us look stupid.

It is going to be very long job to turn us around no matter who is in charge so we need to be patient.

Guest Triplej2

I didn't like Irvine from day one and was pleased to see him go.

I was DELIGHTED when Megson was appointed and even dared to hope that we'd have a bash at getting into the playoffs last season.

I wouldn't want to see Megson sacked, BUT

I don't rate his transfer dealings. The players he has brought in don't appear to be any better than the ones that have been shown the door (possibly worse in some cases)

I don't rate his tactics. No matter what his loyalists say, the football this season has been horrible. Lots of high balls from set pieces and long balls from open play.

I don't rate his formation. He tried 4-5-1 last season and it didn't work. He tried it again last night and had to abandon it after going down 1-0 after 2 minutes.

I don't understand his attitude to the cup competitions. We need to play our "best" team every game. We need to try and win every game. Playing second string players at Premiership Blackburn was suicidal (3 down after 7 minutes)

Apart from the above, I think Megson is doing a good job.

Name me 1 player we've let go who is as good or better than ANY of the players we've brought in?

Guest oliver666

If only gary megson went 442 from the start . Who knows, we may have won that match but like one or two posters have pointed out, if we go out not to lose a match we inevitively don't win it either. Why does the manager (and this relates to the previous 2 managers) put more emphasis on the opposing team.

Wouldn't it be good idea to let them worry about us instead.

Again, another early substitution, getting a bit tedious and embarrrassing when the manager dosn't know what team to send out from the start.

Sedgewick must be well and truly pissed off especially when Lines had done sod all prior to this change.

Look at the managers and coaching staffs body language last night. It didn't fill me with confidence with the lack of any positives from their demeanour. A couple of them looked very disinterested. Charlton were very mediocre but we gave them far too much respect from the start.

MELLOR!

He went missing in far too many games last season, was injury-prone and only started to show some consistency towards the last few weeks (playing for a contract time). I'm glad he is not longer here.

We played an inform team away, went a goal down and showed a lot of fight and character to come away with a draw.

What is there to moan about?

It wasn't pretty, but personally I'm chuffed to bits with the way we never gave up and made Charlton look average.......we are showing signs of improvement, maybe not in the way some people would like, me included, but Megson wasn't given an open check book, he's trying to do the best he can with limited funds.......which hasn't been helped by injuries and late signings.

You can't judge him now, it's totally unfair.......at least wait a few games after he's had a full squad available.

Guest MurderingJemima

I have seriously had enough of half of the flipping so called Wednesday fans on here.

We will go up and it will be horrible.

We will go away in February on a Tuesday night and win 1-0 in the last minute from a set piece wee wee wet through.

That's how you do it in this league.

Tonight has given me HEART for the first time in ten flipping years.

Compare that to the Watford away game or Crystal Palace last match. We now have grown some b0llocks.

Some on here and their expectations are as DELUDED as that set of smelly tw4ts down the road.

Maybe some of 'em are because some of the crap on here lately has been laughable.

We will go up this year.

Well said, mate. It's unbelievable coming on here and seeing all this flipping negativity. Ok, Wednesday might not be playing the best football we've seen, but I'm so glad we're showing some heart and soul and letting the opposition know we're a force to be reckoned with instead of playing like a bunch of wet pansies. Let's assess it at the end of Oct and see how we're doing then. And as for the 'Megson out' stuff... I've never heard anything quite so ludicrous. Get your bonces sorted out and calm the **** down.

Guest davylowe

Well said, mate. It's unbelievable coming on here and seeing all this flipping negativity. Ok, Wednesday might not be playing the best football we've seen, but I'm so glad we're showing some heart and soul and letting the opposition know we're a force to be reckoned with instead of playing like a bunch of wet pansies. Let's assess it at the end of Oct and see how we're doing then. And as for the 'Megson out' stuff... I've never heard anything quite so ludicrous. Get your bonces sorted out and calm the **** down.

This ^^^^^^^

Semedo is a good player, but he performs a specific role within the team, ie breaking up the opponents play and defending our back four.

There are, broadly speaking, two schools of thought in football;

1.- You seek to neutralise the opponents players; keep it tight; nick something from a set piece

or

2.- You let the opponent worry about you

I remember years ago being treated by Alan Smith for shin splints, which had tragically shortened my promising Sunday League playing career( :smile: ), and he was saying how, in the pomp of Hirsty et al, it never mattered to the team when they came in a goal down at half time because they always KNEW that they had the ingenuity and the fire-power to outscore any team they were playing.

It's a mindset; you score six, we'll score seven etc.

I'm afraid that I'm with the likes of Big Ron and Ian Holloway.

Football is only 'just' a sport when it's played recreationally without paying spectators.

If people pay to watch, then it's also supposed to be something else, too; Entertainment.

And whatever else anybody may accuse gary megson of, being 'Mr Entertainment' is not a label which you can attach to him, or his teams.

To hear Owls fans glorying in the triumph of the pragmatic over the mercurial is upsetting.

Or at least it would be if there was actually any 'triumph' involved..................

Actually you've missed the third way which is a combination of the two philosophies.

Megson is certainly setting us up to play with philosophy number one and in so doing has got the opposition (both supporters and management) worried about us, thus fulfilling philosphy number two. If you don't believe this then ask yourself why is everyone (not just our own fans) talking and moaning about our style of play. The answer is simple, it is because they know we are going to be very difficult to beat, will compete every inch of the way and do whatever necessary to win and if that means grinding out ugly results at the expense of entertainment (although this won't be the case in every game) then so be it. It's what GM does and it has worked well for him in his career, why should it be any different at Wednesday?

For the first time in years the opposition are starting to worry about us and that has to be good because it means Megson's plan is working.

Actually you've missed the third way which is a combination of the two philosophies.

Megson is certainly setting us up to play with philosophy number one and in so doing has got the opposition (both supporters and management) worried about us, thus fulfilling philosphy number two. If you don't believe this then ask yourself why is everyone (not just our own fans) talking and moaning about our style of play. The answer is simple, it is because they know we are going to be very difficult to beat, will compete every inch of the way and do whatever necessary to win and if that means grinding out ugly results at the expense of entertainment (although this won't be the case in every game) then so be it. It's what GM does and it has worked well for him in his career, why should it be any different at Wednesday?

For the first time in years the opposition are starting to worry about us and that has to be good because it means Megson's plan is working.

yep got it in one...who knows when we get on top in matches we may play abit of football...like we did against Scunny

I have seriously had enough of half of the flipping so called Wednesday fans on here.

We will go up and it will be horrible.

We will go away in February on a Tuesday night and win 1-0 in the last minute from a set piece wee wee wet through.

That's how you do it in this league.

Tonight has given me HEART for the first time in ten flipping years.

Compare that to the Watford away game or Crystal Palace last match. We now have grown some b0llocks.

Some on here and their expectations are as DELUDED as that set of smelly tw4ts down the road.

Maybe some of 'em are because some of the crap on here lately has been laughable.

We will go up this year.

Spot on.

You are the biggest snide on here at the minute.

We got a point and should have got more in difficult circumstances.

You're just gutted we didn't get hammered so you could justify your Anti-GM campaign.

Seriously, trying to dig dirt at a golfing do with some poncey exec fro West Brom???? and the rest of the crap you've posted.......

I'm def back for the derby at The Sty and I'll buy you a pint. Probably in your local close by you moaning tart.

What was this?

Getting to matches is tricky for all of us mate. If I spend good money on a rainy Monday night in London, why the f@ck do you think I'd want us to lose just to prove a point For what it's worth I dOnt even want him sacked. All I want is for him to get us moving in the right direction.

You're getting what you wanted then.

"Then again, this is nothing new for Megson. He’s never been a popular manager, with his pragmatic style of play never endearing him to fans, who prefer to see attractive, attacking football. And who doesn't? But pretty football doesn't get you out of a relegation battle, does it? It’s about rolling your sleeves up, working hard, and getting the basics right.

So Megson got to work, and got Bolton doing the basics properly again. Of course, it took time, but slowly but surely, the Trotters began to get results. They were hard working, organised, defensively sound, and strong from set-pieces. The old Bolton Wanderers were back, doing what they did best, playing to their strengths, and doing what they needed to do to stay up. It wasn't about winning popularity contests, it was about achieving results, however way they could.

Moving onto this season, and it’s been more of the same from Bolton and Megson, and the fans don’t like it. Sure, it’s been an inconsistent start, and results havent always been good. And suprise suprise, the style of play hasn’t changed."

"Megson refused to accept Bolton's style justified the criticism that resulted in his sacking.

He said: 'I thought we were brilliant against Tottenham and against Manchester City. I find it galling to be criticised in that way, given the style of play that brought Bolton success in recent years. That involved big players up front and a very direct style.'"

"Beevers, a former player-of-the-year at Hillsborough, has slipped down the pecking order under gary megson and is relishing the chance of some first team football.

"As soon as it came up I jumped at the chance," he said.

"The style of football they play at MK Dons suits me, and there are fantastic facillities here.

Twenty-one-year-old Beevers said Megson's footballing style differs from Dons boss Robinson's.

He said: "Every manager has a different syle of play and I think the manager at Sheffield Wednesday is a bit more direct.

"We do try and get the ball down and play when we can, but down at MKDons we play a lot more than other teams do."

"Robinson said: "They've let some very good players go. Gary Megson's doing his job and is a very experienced manager, and maybe has a style of play and a type of player that he likes."

"Megsons style of football wasn't great to watch, but he got results."

"Yes Megson did a fine job for us, and in a results only business, it would be difficult to argue against his achievement of double promotion,

but who would you prefer to watch, Albion then or Albion now ?

It is an unequivocal NOW from me."

"Megson’s style of play is very similar to that of Big Sam’s – long and direct with a tough defence."[/left]

"It appears Bolton fans are slowly getting fed up with

gary megson, booing the team off the pitch after the 1-1 draw with Stoke. Only Matt Taylor’s last minute penalty spared defeat but it’s the manner of play which is at odds with the support. Attendances are falling at the Reebok and it’s in no small part to Megson’s style of play."

[/left][/left]

"Bolton fans wore masks of agony for almost the entire duration of a joyless match".

[/left]

Bolton's fans are not enamoured by a primitive playing style."

"When gary megson was at the club there was a real air of negativity about Megson himself and the style of play.

The attitude wasn't conducive to getting results and Coyle has given the players more freedom to express themselves in games."

"The simplistic analysis of gary megson’s tenure as Bolton Wanderers manager says that he restored the tactics and style of play that had brought us so much success under Sam Allardyce.

It’s certainly true that Megson ditchedSammy Lee’s over-ambitious attempt to bring the pass and move Liverpool groove to the Reebok, but I believe Megson’s Bolton Wanderers are considerably different to Allardyce’s.

The most important difference is this: whilst Allardyce stuffed his team with physical players whose main purpose was to upset the opposition, he also understood that you have to find some room in your starting XI for players who are capable off getting you a goal. How do you ever win a game otherwise?

However negative Allardyce’s game plan may have been, he would never have played three defensive midfielders as Megson has done several times this season with Fabrice Muamba, Gavin McCann and Joey O’Brien.

Allardyce would always find room for a player or two who could cause the opposition defence a headache (and keep supporters interested), either with pace (El-Hadji Diouf), skill (Jay-Jay Okocha) or by just being a right pain in the arse (Stelios).

It’s for this reason that we are no longer able to compete against the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United as we once did in head-to-head games. The current game plan still includes the bit about getting amongst the opposition, upsetting their game and making it difficult for them to play.

But it no longer includes a section about how to score goals and put teams on the back foot."

Edited by talon