megson out

Utter gash.

We were poo at Bournemouth, and we were poo last night.

Any other way of looking at it is just papering over the cracks.

Football, like anything else in life, evolves and progresses.

The standard in the Prem, now, is light years away from where it was 10 years ago.

Likewise in the Championship and the lower leagues.

The time which players have on the ball is being lessened as every season goes by, as the 'Barca' model of high pressing becomes ubiquitous.

Hoofing the bloody thing up the pitch; kicking for touch; long throws and set-piece reliance are becoming tactics utilised by teams lower and lower down the pyramid as each season passes. And don't hold Stoke up as an example. They actually have some VERY talented players-unlike us.

Megson is a relic of a bygone age and a bygone school of thought.

The sooner he goes, the better.

Before we turn into the 'old' Wimbledon.

I understand your frustration, but Rome wasn't built in a day. We clearly have a budget and an experienced chairman and manager who will work to maximize this.Every fan wants his team to be top but you have to be realistic. We are going forward as a club for the first time in years. Even Man U bully teams into submission without playing the Barca and Arsenal way. It doesn't always work. We need results pal. Swansea and Donny will get relegated with their pretty passing. Stoke won't with their direct style. You as good as acknowlede that.

And if you think Semedo is not a good player you must be partially sighted or sampling too many sherberts before kick-off

So let's get this straight against one of the stronger teams in the division playing at home where thay are so far unbeaten

• After going a goal down we fight back to get a draw
  • we stop them creating more than one or two chances
  • we correct the panic hoofing of the first half and get the ball down and pass it around

and there is nothing to be pleased about?

Excuse me for thinking that you do not support the Owls

Well said.

There has been an influx of total lobbers on to this site who's IQ would be along side that of a demented amoeba.

Charlton fans don't seem to think they had an off day. They think we stopped them playing.

We did stop them from playing. Seems obvious to me.

For some though, this isn't acceptable.

Of course, they ignore facts like having eight players unavailable, but let's not allow such things to cloud our view.

And if you think Semedo is not a good player you must be partially sighted or sampling too many sherberts before kick-off

Semedo is a good player, but he performs a specific role within the team, ie breaking up the opponents play and defending our back four.

There are, broadly speaking, two schools of thought in football;

1.- You seek to neutralise the opponents players; keep it tight; nick something from a set piece

or

2.- You let the opponent worry about you

I remember years ago being treated by Alan Smith for shin splints, which had tragically shortened my promising Sunday League playing career( :smile: ), and he was saying how, in the pomp of Hirsty et al, it never mattered to the team when they came in a goal down at half time because they always KNEW that they had the ingenuity and the fire-power to outscore any team they were playing.

It's a mindset; you score six, we'll score seven etc.

I'm afraid that I'm with the likes of Big Ron and Ian Holloway.

Football is only 'just' a sport when it's played recreationally without paying spectators.

If people pay to watch, then it's also supposed to be something else, too; Entertainment.

And whatever else anybody may accuse gary megson of, being 'Mr Entertainment' is not a label which you can attach to him, or his teams.

To hear Owls fans glorying in the triumph of the pragmatic over the mercurial is upsetting.

Or at least it would be if there was actually any 'triumph' involved..................

Semedo is a good player, but he performs a specific role within the team, ie breaking up the opponents play and defending our back four.

There are, broadly speaking, two schools of thought in football;

1.- You seek to neutralise the opponents players; keep it tight; nick something from a set piece

or

2.- You let the opponent worry about you

I remember years ago being treated by Alan Smith for shin splints, which had tragically shortened my promising Sunday League playing career( :smile: ), and he was saying how, in the pomp of Hirsty et al, it never mattered to the team when they came in a goal down at half time because they always KNEW that they had the ingenuity and the fire-power to outscore any team they were playing.

It's a mindset; you score six, we'll score seven etc.

I'm afraid that I'm with the likes of Big Ron and Ian Holloway.

Football is only 'just' a sport when it's played recreationally without paying spectators.

If people pay to watch, then it's also supposed to be something else, too; Entertainment.

And whatever else anybody may accuse gary megson of, being 'Mr Entertainment' is not a label which you can attach to him, or his teams.

To hear Owls fans glorying in the triumph of the pragmatic over the mercurial is upsetting.

Or at least it would be if there was actually any 'triumph' involved..................

How would you characterize Megson's football then?

Personally, I think it's not as negative and dour as some people make out.

I also think that when we get all our players fit that we'll actually see a brand of football that is exciting enough to watch.

I'm sure Baggiehy would confirm that Megson is well capable of setting up his teams to play an entertaining type of football.

Might not be like what we got in the early nineties, but after the last ten years or so I'd more than settle it.

Not sure where you get eight players missing but I'll run with it Though we still felt that we could leave the leagues leading scorer sat on the bench. Let's face it we set up not to lose, and in that respect we didn't. However when you constantly set up in away games, not to lose, you sometimes miss opportunities to win.

How would you characterize Megson's football then?

I'm thinking along the lines of words like 'functional' and 'effective' and 'organised' etc.

Which purely in terms of looking at results/league tables in a newspaper might be ok IF it works.

But in terms of laying out hundreds of pounds a year to actually WATCH, erm................

Not sure where you get eight players missing but I'll run with it Though we still felt that we could leave the leagues leading scorer sat on the bench. Let's face it we set up not to lose, and in that respect we didn't. However when you constantly set up in away games, not to lose, you sometimes miss opportunities to win.

Weaver

Bennett

Réda

Otsemobor

Palmer

D.Jones

JJ

O'Grady

We'll just have to wait to see how Megson sets us up when JJ and O'Grady are available again.

did anyone just see rob jones telling madine how to recieve a high ball?

take it on yr chest lad.

and his the first ball he recieved.. On his chest !!!. i said that to my mate. Its obvious he's not strong enough in the air and its not his game but will still try and hoof it up to him.

And of all the players to come on,, bloody hell JOC why oh why.

If Megson doesn't see this season out then it will be the 3rd successive season where we haven't finished a season with the man at the helm that started it.

For us to have any chance of making process we have to at some stage stick with a manager for at least 3 years? Megson has got his critics. I think every manager has but I feel if he get's the time he may just may be the man who gets us moving in the right direction.

It won't be pretty. He'll continue to make decisions that bewilder us. Not starting with either Lowe or Morrison was a strange one. I just get the feeling he's come here to do a job, get his hands dirty and prove everyone of his critics wrong whether it be here in Sheffield, Bolton, Nottingham, wherever else they may be at the club where I think he's always coveted the managers job.

I think after 6 games last season we had around the same number of points. Not scored as many goals and conceded more but I think the side looks more like it can handle itself this season. We were relying heavily on Nicky Weaver to keep us in games this time last year. In the games I've seen so far this season I've not seen any side have us on the back foot for a prolonged period, so perhaps things are improving slowly but improving?

I think we'll get stronger as the season goes on and there is a chance that we'll get stronger with loans and signings as the season goes on. I just feel if we sack Megson we'll struggle to attract anyone worth their salts who would want the job. Also I think if Megson gets hounded out somewhere along the line we'll live to regret it?

Guest totemowl

I'm thinking along the lines of words like 'functional' and 'effective' and 'organised' etc.

Which purely in terms of looking at results/league tables in a newspaper might be ok IF it works.

But in terms of laying out hundreds of pounds a year to actually WATCH, erm................

You must hark to a bygone era. Those attributes are needed for any kind of success now. I just hark back to recent years when our teams were so vulnerable because they lacked them.

But I only regard them as basics for success. Confidence will improve performances. I'd also like to see a lot more entertaining football but that is a luxury, especially at this level.

Although it's painful to watch at the moment, winning breeds confidence. If we keep it up, the players might start to feel happy knocking the ball about on the deck. And GM must surely have learnt now that 451 doesn't work for us. Give it time so we can do it properly.

His Grandad will be there though, Yeovil too ! Up the Owls ! Breed Wednesdayites ! Make babies ! Do your bit for the club lol

Ha.. I'm hoping to make Saturday though, he needs to either come along now or wait til Sunday.

I'm confident, I dont know of many babies that come on the due date

Guest clumber58

I didn't like Irvine from day one and was pleased to see him go.

I was DELIGHTED when Megson was appointed and even dared to hope that we'd have a bash at getting into the playoffs last season.

I wouldn't want to see Megson sacked, BUT

I don't rate his transfer dealings. The players he has brought in don't appear to be any better than the ones that have been shown the door (possibly worse in some cases)

I don't rate his tactics. No matter what his loyalists say, the football this season has been horrible. Lots of high balls from set pieces and long balls from open play.

I don't rate his formation. He tried 4-5-1 last season and it didn't work. He tried it again last night and had to abandon it after going down 1-0 after 2 minutes.

I don't understand his attitude to the cup competitions. We need to play our "best" team every game. We need to try and win every game. Playing second string players at Premiership Blackburn was suicidal (3 down after 7 minutes)

Apart from the above, I think Megson is doing a good job.