megson out

i realise that i'm coming across as a moaning b*stard for being one of the only people on here who accepts that we're not good enough to get promotion, but rather that than living in dreamland.

getting a point away at a promotion favourite is a f*cking brilliant result, i'm just saying it feels like we got it through luck rather than application. we don't look like a team, we have no plan, we just bumble our way through games and hope something happens.

Agree 100%

There is another thread started by Reading Owl saying how anyone that critices the team based on last nights performance knows nothing about football ( in a nutshell).

I think my opinion sits in the middle of that and this thread.

I appreciate that the team has more character now, with natural leaders like Jones, Batth and Buxton in the team, and real battlers like Semedo and Madine, but endeavour alone will not get us out of this league.

Last night the first 20 minutes was shocking. We might as well have played Reda Johnson up front instead of Madine, the lad had no support and he was just a target to hit . It was complete hoof ball and Charlton looked like they had twice as many players as us.

Thankfully Megson changed it, but it didn't really improve until the second half, and we were lucky that Charlton were not 2 or 3 up by then.

My concern is that we have no game plan , away from home especially. When we knocked it about and got the ball in the box against Notts County at home, Madine ended up with a couple of goals. This is the way we should be playing, we have the players to play decent football..the midfielders to collect the ball off the defenders and to thread passes out to the natural wide men or slip the ball through for the forwards.

Yes we ended up with a point against a very good side last night, but if people think everythings rosy because of that then they are in for a few disappointments this season.

UTO's

Guest highamowl

I think last night will do us good away from home, as from the second half performance it will give the team confidence that they can go away and play how they want to. Its been clear that we have been short on confidence away from home, and this has been a key factor in how we have played.

We need to focus on the positives of this performance and build from it. Hopefully we will see an upturn from now on!

Well this is an embarrasing thread

agree, truely and completely embarrasing, some of you need to go get laid or stoned or something, chill the roger out, get some fresh air and start looking at the bigger picture, im astonished at the reaction after a very good point away at promotion rivals with key injuries too

F##k off what people are saying is we need to improve a great deal to actually do anything this season like someone said people are living in dreamland if they think we are top 6 material at present we have pretty much got this squad for the next four months and still we lack far to many basics.Yeah we will f##k off then and see how it is playing infront of 12,000 each week at home why can't people accept that some off us are'nt over the moon with the squad our tactics or manager.

You can be as unhappy as you like. Just dont force it on everyone else!!!

We have played 6 matches!!!

We still havent played the whole 1st team

The squad has yet to blend

Lowe is probably still finding out the names of his team-mates

We conceded the goal playing 4 - 5 - 1 Yet you wanted less defenders!!!!!!

I dont remember our keeper doing much more than theirs

GIVE EM A BREAK FOR CHRISTS SAKE

poo poo pal your glass is well and truly half empty. If you really dont like Wednesday that much go and collect stamps or summat

So if someone criticises Megson and the way we play, they are either a blade or hate wednesday?

Clinton Morrison said he half expected Megson to bring on JOC instead of him: If that was not a cynical comment, I don't know what is.

There are issues that need to be addressed. Those issues will inevitably get discussed on message boards.

I hate this "I'm more wednesday than you because I don't question the manager" bollcks.

If our keeper only has one save to make all match in each away game this season, like he did last night, we'll pick up a lot of points away from home and coupled with good home form we'll be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

For all Charlton's good play they had the stat of Attempts on target:1.

The move down the right from Madine, flicked on by Morisson that just missed the advancing Lines in the 89th minute nearly got us 3 points against a side that will be in the top 4 come June

This thread is actually making me want to stop reading owlstalk, far too full of gobshite attention seekers.

Utter gash.

We were poo at Bournemouth, and we were poo last night.

Any other way of looking at it is just papering over the cracks.

Football, like anything else in life, evolves and progresses.

The standard in the Prem, now, is light years away from where it was 10 years ago.

Likewise in the Championship and the lower leagues.

The time which players have on the ball is being lessened as every season goes by, as the 'Barca' model of high pressing becomes ubiquitous.

Hoofing the bloody thing up the pitch; kicking for touch; long throws and set-piece reliance are becoming tactics utilised by teams lower and lower down the pyramid as each season passes. And don't hold Stoke up as an example. They actually have some VERY talented players-unlike us.

Megson is a relic of a bygone age and a bygone school of thought.

The sooner he goes, the better.

Before we turn into the 'old' Wimbledon.

<bite>

First half after we had conceded we were under pressure and played panic football trying to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. This led to us giving away possession and creating more pressure.

Second half, after Megson has had chance to talk to them we played more passing football and held onto possession more. Even the commentators criticised us for not getting the ball into the box. Perhaps we were a bit too patient but clearly Megson did not instruct them to kick it long and high. He clearly asked tem to retain possession and create pressure. That is what we did. We bossed the second half without creating anything much, admittedly, but this against one on the stronger teams in the division and where they are still unbeaten. They created very little.

Anyone who is not slightly pleased with that performance is a blade

lol

Edited by OxonOwl

Guest drummerboy1

I went to charlton last night and to be quite frank i was embarrassed. theres no way we are a promotion winning team, again.I don't think megson out is the answer but then i am not sure what is.Rob Jones was poor and IMO shouldn't be captain.some may disagree.Morrison was hungry and showed passion. no running off the ball, no shots on goal.Question is.How do we see this getting any better?

So let's get this straight against one of the stronger teams in the division playing at home where thay are so far unbeaten

• After going a goal down we fight back to get a draw
  • we stop them creating more than one or two chances
  • we correct the panic hoofing of the first half and get the ball down and pass it around

and there is nothing at all to be pleased about?

Excuse me for thinking that you do not support the Owls

Edited by OxonOwl

I went to charlton last night and to be quite frank i was embarrassed. theres no way we are a promotion winning team, again.I don't think megson out is the answer but then i am not sure what is.Rob Jones was poor and IMO shouldn't be captain.some may disagree.Morrison was hungry and showed passion. no running off the ball, no shots on goal.Question is.How do we see this getting any better?

So what did you think of Charlton? Will they get promoted? How many shots did they have?

How do we see this getting better?

Two much vaunted strikers have virtually not played yet. The probable first choice starting 11 have yet to play competively together. Playing as well away from home as we have at Hillsborough.

So let's get this straight against one of the stronger teams in the division playing at home where thay are so far unbeaten

• After going a goal down we fight back to get a draw
  • we stop them creating more than one or two chances
  • we correct the panic hoofing of the first half and get the ball down and pass it around

and there is nothing to be pleased about?

Excuse me for thinking that you do not support the Owls

Are we talking from the perspective of us being a promotion winning team or from that of us being a top half team?

From the perspective of us winning promotion- no I am not pleased. We look far from being that.

Guest drummerboy1

Mo.I wasn't pleased. Thats it. i love my club and thats why i am not pleased with what i saw otherwise i wouldn't give a throw.

We should have lost.Full stop.They missed a sitter and were were lucky with a point.I didn't expect them to go there and run rings around them but i expected a bit more in the way of erm.........................Football.

Oxon I think all would be proud of those qualities. However, good side that they obviously are, they were still there for the taking. We were not set up to take advantage of their off day, we never are away from home. I think most teams would have beaten Charlton last night. I base that on what I saw and not what the formbook says.