Oh for a Terry Curran type player !

Posters of a certain age will remember the 79/80 promotion season, and how a certain Mr Terry Curran thrilled kids and parents alike with his pace, skill, endeavour and finishing.

No 'one good game then five rubbish ones' and half the season out for TC, he was there week in week out , turning it on and absolutely destroying defenders.

He was streets ahead of any other player in that league..even the Argie accross the city who our porky neighbours thought was the second coming.

Wouldn't it be great to unearth a player of that calibre now..someone who is worth the entrance fee alone, and is that popular he has a fan club started up for him?....(forget releasing the record though )..

Maybe there isn't room for a flair player in this league these days, but it would be great wouldn't it?

Edited by Bannofan

Posters of a certain age will remember the 79/80 promotion season, and how a certain Mr Terry Curran thrilled kids and parents alike with his pace, skill, endeavour and finishing.

No 'one good game then five rubbish ones' and half the season out for TC, he was there week in week out , turning it on and absolutely destroying defenders.

He was streets ahead of any other player in that league..even the Argie accross the city who our porky neighbours thought was the second coming.

Wouldn't it be great to unearth a player of that calibre now..someone who is worth the entrance fee alone, and is that popular he has a fan club started up for him?....(forget releasing the record though )..

Maybe there isn't room for a flair player in this league these days, but it would be great wouldn't it?

Cant remember myself pal as i am only 21. Howeva iv seen lots of footage and my dad is forever going on about TC. So yea would be fantastic for me to see a player like him pull on the famous blue and white stripes.

yep i remember it well, but we didn't have a great start that season, losing 0 - 3 at home to blackburn etc

but your right about terry curran, he'd just push it past someone and his pace would take him away, he was a direct threat everytime he got the ball, i can't remember him missing games through injury either, just seemed to get on with it

we would watch him at the match saturday afternoon then see him in the dogs at owlerton saturday night

My first Wednesday idol... skill to burn, he really did take the p*ss in that league... a right "lad" off the pitch too if stories are to be believed.

That goal he scored at Piggy Lane was something else - in the corner, next to flag, going nowhere with defenders all over him, he turned, took a couple of strides out and let rip into the top far corner... don't think I'd ever been so excited before as I was seeing that.

How we'd love a player like him now... legend!

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Maybe Lua Lua would be the nearest thing available for us currently... although I don't think anyone could come close to TC's impact and hero status for us...

BUT remember HIrsty and Sheridan, Waddle etc etc came afterwards so who knows...

I can't see anyone else out there that would be near TC's class...

Get Lua Lua signed.... pleeeeeeeeeeeeese.... he will give us some thrills I think...

I think we were playing Colchester at home and he went round about 5 players and the keeper at the Leppings Lane end, stopped the ball on the goal line, and then got down on his knees and headed it in.

He had the ability to do amazing things and although we'd had some exciting players like Willie Henderson, TC will always be one of the best players I have ever seen in a Wednesday shirt and certainly at that level.

I think we were playing Colchester at home and he went round about 5 players and the keeper at the Leppings Lane end, stopped the ball on the goal line, and then got down on his knees and headed it in.

He had the ability to do amazing things and although we'd had some exciting players like Willie Henderson, TC will always be one of the

best players I have ever seen in a Wednesday shirt and certainly at that level.

See classiest goal thread Daz

:biggrin:

Thinking of the previous generations and reading some of the biographies and fiction from those times (Damned United) football seemed more fun then and a lot simpler.

Players like Curran dropping two divisions, Dave McKay leaving Spurs and dropping two leagues to Derby under Clough it just wouldn't happen now unless there was something wrong with the player. Players like Curran and Hirst would be snaffled within 6-12 months by a Premier League club as we saw with Bougherra (who wasnt even in the same class).

Imagine how much Hirst would be worth today, in his prime.

I was lucky enough to be at Bramall Lane that day.

Great goal.

Fantastic player.

I was there on the Shoreham end that day aged 14. As the game was on MOTD, I remember being convinced that I had just seen the winner of their "goal of the season".

It didn't even get into the end of season finalists, as the "goal of the month" (which eventually went on to win the main award) was that volley by Fashanu for Norwich v Liverpool - a good goal, but I still rate TC's as better.

My first Wednesday idol... skill to burn, he really did take the p*ss in that league... a right "lad" off the pitch too if stories are to be believed.

That goal he scored at Piggy Lane was something else - in the corner, next to flag, going nowhere with defenders all over him, he turned, took a couple of strides out and let rip into the top far corner... don't think I'd ever been so excited before as I was seeing that.

How we'd love a player like him now... legend!

Don't forget, he'd also ripped 'em a new 'un at Hillsborough on Boxing Day as well! This was just to rub it in that bit more!

I was there on the Shoreham end that day aged 14. As the game was on MOTD, I remember being convinced that I had just seen the winner of their "goal of the season".

It didn't even get into the end of season finalists, as the "goal of the month" (which eventually went on to win the main award) was that volley by Fashanu for Norwich v Liverpool - a good goal, but I still rate TC's as better.

^^^^^

This, purely because it was one of our own!