How much, How much, how much, Time Please Gents

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

Not as exciting as discussing trying to sign Alf i know, but did anybody else feel last night that it was like having a little peak at what life is like being an away fan of a side in the Premier league at the moment, and i dont just mean a defeat, a nice stadium to visit with what i thought was a superb away end and concourse which had what i think are the cleanest toilets i have seen on any away end.

But there the praise stops, on arrival and before looking for alternative parking we decided to ask the steward on the gate how much to park, " A Tenner" was his reply, need less to say my reply to him was a bit sharp and swift to which he replied thats CHEAP FOR THE PREMIER LEAGUE, but this aint a premier leagu game i replied while driving away to look for alternatives amongst all the Permits, and Resident only nearby streets,

Having finally got parked for the normal i expect to pay £5, and calling at the nearby chippy (Pie and Chips for 2 quid and very nice as well) we decided to take the short walk to the recommended away fans PUBLIC ALE HOUSE, (not a private supporters or social club bar) the Fernhurst and were immedietly met by the next set of robbing b***ards intent on making a quick buck, who asked for two pound (each) for the privelege to get in to spend some more money behind behind the bar, we along with many disgruntled thirst Owls decided needs must and relunctantly handed over our contribution towards the Mine Host Next exotic holiday.

What followed next was i thought astounding, although as we had been in a decent while so it did not affect us.

People were still paying there two pounds and entering the pub at gone 7, so imagine the look of horror on their faces when 30 seconds after parting with their dosh the bell was rung behind the bar and last orders called, the bar staff then said that on police advice they had to stop serving in a short while, and this was normal on match day, the questions being asked as to why they were not told this a few munutes earlier at the door on entry was met by much shoulder shrugging and not much else, happily as far as im aware the stand off never got any further than shoulder shrugging on one side of the bar and a few expletives on the other.

For me i could not help but feel this was just a teaser of how we will have to accept that if, as we all wish this club makes it back to the finance driven world of Top flight English football, that in every way possible we will be made to part with our money and lots of it every time matchday comes around, better start saving now lads and lases, UTO.

Edited by intercity0wl

I agree mate. I was in the Fernhurst and it was scandalous! £2 to get in, 1 round ordered then last orders called!!

I managed to get them to serve us another drink, (which I might add was just under a pint of watered down fosters) and was charged the price that they had pinned to the wall above the till, not the actual 'normal' price as programmed in the till. The 'normal' price that they returned to once all Wednesday fans were out (informed by local)

Here's to an expensive (but worth it!) return to the top echelon of English football- eventually, it was almost like boozing under North Stand!!

UTO

Guest FoggyS17

We went to the Golden Cup, £7.70 for 2 jack daniels and a corona, not a bad price parked on the long hill on the main road in, walk down was ok walk up took bloody ages tho!

Guest intercity0wl

You need to plan your trips better, you're not a sheep, you don't have to be told where to drink.

Correct mate, i dont, and in my younger days i would have gone in any boozer i wanted, trouble is a few health problems regarding mobility combined with a strong Yorkshire accent means i aint got as big a brass neck as i used to, nor am i as quick. So you see a location near to the ground and personal safety play a big part in my choice of pre match drinking establishments these days, maybe i will find my Dockers and Braces out for an away game to celebrate promotion later on in season though and visit a few home supporters only venues, will let ya know when so you can join me yea. :smile:

Correct mate, i dont, and in my younger days i would have gone in any boozer i wanted, trouble is a few health problems regarding mobility combined with a strong Yorkshire accent means

i aint got as big a brass neck as i used to, nor am i as quick. So you see a location near to the ground and personal safety play a big part in my choice of pre match drinking establishments these days, maybe i will find my Dockers and Braces out for an away game to celebrate

promotion later on in season though and visit a few home supporters only venues, will let ya know when so you can join me yea. :smile:

Plenty of pubs on the way where you would have been able to drink safely and cheers, mine's a pint.

We drove down the road, past the £10, 2 x £5 and then went in the £3 parking. Was about a 10 minute walk from the ground. If we had gone another 200 yards we could have probably got parked for free but we didn't want to chance it.

After the 3rd goal went in I said to the mrs "how gutted would you be if you'd paid £10 to park as well".

Just not bothered...

We drove down the road, past the £10, 2 x £5 and then went in the £3 parking. Was about a 10 minute walk from the ground. If we had gone another 200 yards we could have probably got parked for free but we didn't want to chance it.

After the 3rd goal went in I said to the mrs "how gutted would you be if you'd paid £10 to park as well".

What was her reply ?

Guest intercity0wl

We actually parked in the first five pound one we saw at the side of Mcdonalds just a couple of minutes over the road from the Main stand, woud have turned round and come home first if £10 pound had been the only option available, had intended to park in the Fernhurst car park as all the online guides to away grounds said you could, but for some reason (never asked why) it was closed.

You need to plan your trips better, you're not a sheep, you don't have to be told where to drink.

Yeah, probably could've planned on them charging us £2 to get in then calling last orders straight away. That information is readily available everywhere you look when you plan to go to an away game???!

Will verify my away game drink with you first next time pal, sure you'll put me right eh?!