Guest thekelch

Guest thekelch

I’m bemused by the number of threads along the following lines: “I wish Mandaric would spend just spend £300k/£500k/£1mill on ALF/Mellor/MacDonald/all three. Promotion would be worth so much more than that and we’d get the money back, gamble!!!!”.

I disagree with this certainty that gambling, what for a League One club is huge sums of money, would guarantee promotion.

1. None of the above players, or anyone else who would come to us is Messi. Whilst they would undoubtedly improve the squad and give us a better chance of going up, the idea they would “guarantee” promotion and we’d get our money back is wide of the mark. This is an ultra-competitive league with lots of strong teams expecting promotion every bit as much as us. One player (who lets face it, could break his leg on debut) won’t change that, particularly as we need to work on creating chances for our current forwards.

2. Mandaric has already gambled on promotion, and it didn’t work. Last January when he came in he bought Johnson, Reynolds, Madine, Morrison and Osborne in the expectation this would give us the push needed for promotion. It backfired, we didn’t go up and as a result Milan personally lost several million pounds (according to an interview with RS). I’m not surprised he isn’t keen on repeating the experiment.

3. This kind of attitude is exactly why we were in the doldrums for so long. We were a boring mid-table Prem team (oh to bring back top-flight mediocrity!) but we thought if we gambled on expensive foreign signings – Sibon, De Bilde, Jonk, Donnelly and O’Donnell – we’d surely get into Europe and get the money back. Instead we got relegated and have never looked like getting back.

I’m not saying we don’t need a striker, but that we should learn the lessons of the past, only pay what is reasonable and what we can afford, and not think one raw League 2 forward is going to transform us into table toppers overnight.

We need at least one more striker, the manager has said so himself. Other clubs know this - so therefore they will try and get as much money as possible, for players who they do not want to leave. We would do the same.

We either pay what we feel may be a slightly inflated price (the selling club are in a strong position whether we like it or not), or we keep pottering along saying we need a striker.

Or summat like that.

Good opening post. I bet most of those advocating the purchase of Le Fondre know little or nothing of the attributes he might bring beyond the numbers in the paper. For the record, I am non-committal as I have no more knowledge on him than anyone else and am therefore perfectly happy to leave it to the triumvirate of Mandaric, Aldridge and Megson to do what's best for the club.

Good opening post. I bet most of those advocating the purchase of Le Fondre know little or nothing of the attributes he might bring beyond the numbers in the paper. For the record, I am non-committal as I have no more knowledge on him than anyone else and am therefore perfectly happy to leave it to the triumvirate of Mandaric, Aldridge and Megson to do what's best for the club.

There you go thats the DJ I know, lol wtf does that mean? lol

(goes off to look on google)

Guest Big Guns

I dunno but it looks good.

:biggrin:

What have I told you about been condescending ,you know not many one here share our brain power.

Guest Triplej2

If you two are sharing brain power, I think you need to be a bit more greedier, BG.

"A bit more greedier"? You're hardly Bamber flipping Gascoigne yourself are you? lol

Is this a common problem? Perhaps you ought to spend your spare time a little more constructively? Thinking of Erasure all day can't be good for you.

lol

My big sister used to 'make' me listen to them as a kid. She'd have a dance routine all worked out that I'd then have to rate out of ten.

Fat *****.